2016-17 Stockton Heat (and ADK Thunder) Thread [PLAYOFF BOUND!]

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really hope the Flames/Heat sign a veteran defenseman for the Heat soon. Right now they are 9 possible AHL candidates and the most experienced is Wotherspoon.

Wotherspoon - 4th pro season
Kulak - 3rd pro season
Culkin - 3rd pro season
Kylington - 2nd pro season
Morrison - 2nd pro season
Kanzig - 1st pro season
Andersson - 1st pro season (can still go back to OHL)
Falkovsky - 1st pro season (can still go back to OHL, has no contract with Calgary)
Dyukov - 1st pro season

That defense is going to be torn apart. Defense was terrible last season and they have lost their top 2 defensemen (Stevenson & Nakladal) and their defensive leader (Johnson).

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Falkovsky is most likely going to Europe next season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If they'd take a two way deal I'd like to see Erhoff or Jackman on the Seat. Maybe Seidenberg.

I can't see them signing AHL deals. I would actually go after former Flames prospect Joe Piskula, he should be about the point in his career where he takes an AHL only deal and he'll bring solid leadership to the group. Adam Pardy is another option but I think he may sign a two-way deal somewhere. That said if they sign anyone I'm expecting more of a Dylan Olsen, Danny Biega, Michal Jordan type signing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brandon Kisker's blog from this week has player info on the 6 AHL signings announced over the last little bit.

http://stocktonheat.com/broadcast-blog/big-week-for-the-heat/

On Mike Angelidis
When you look at his numbers, he may not necessarily wow you with huge point totals, although he’s just one season removed from tying a career AHL high in goals with 20 and points with 38. However, he’s been fairly consistent in point production during his career, putting up 25 or more points in the AHL in six of his nine full seasons in the league.

... ... ...

Plus he’s not afraid to drop the gloves either!

I’m predicting he’ll succeed Aaron Johnson as the captain of the Heat this season.

On Matt Bailey
Bailey is a hard working guy. He’s another who hasn’t produced a ton of points at the AHL level, but seeing him play tells a different story of what he can do for the Heat. Just as Turner Elson did last year, Bailey is a guy who can play in any situation. He’s quick, he’s gritty and he was tied with eight players for the fifth most points against Stockton last year with four and scored on 13.3% of his 15 shots against the Heat.

... ... ...

My prediction is that Bailey fills a role similar to Turner Elson. We’ll see him on the PK a lot and we’ll see him continue to trend upward and surpass his AHL-high of 19 points this season.

On Jamie Devane
I predict that Devane will fight more frequently than our last heavyweight did (Let’s face it….the name Colton Orr strikes fear into would be opponents…) which will of course endear him to many of you. I also think he’ll be right around the 10-18 point mark this season and will be a boost to the big guys like Hunter Smith and Austin Carroll. It never hurts to have a guy with a couple show games on his resume on the squad.

On Roman Dyukov
Judging by his stats, you can assume he’s more of a defensive defenseman as his career high of 8 points in 32 games helped his Belarussian pro team, Yunost Minsk, to a Belarussian Championship last season.

He did play for the Belarus national team during the World Championships last year and has played for Belarus’s junior team.

... ... ...

I predict that Dyukov will have to turn heads initially to keep up here to start. With Kylington, Morrison, Culkin, Andersson, Kanzig and the potential to have Kulak or Wotherspoon to start could shift Dyukov down to Adirondack. Obviously if one of the above players make the Flames out of camp it keeps us at seven which is probably what we’ll want to be at, at the very least. We’ve seen how some of the players from Europe have needed to adjust to the less space they’ll have to work with in North American game, but if Dyukov can play things simple and pair well with one of the more offensive minded defenseman on the team, he’ll be just fine.

On Matt Frattin
Frattin very much is still an NHL caliber player, and as we saw last year in the case of Derek Grant, sometimes it’s opportunity that a player needs the most. As this year will be his first time not on an NHL contract, it makes this year very important for Frattin, especially if he still invisions himself at the NHL level, be it in Calgary or elsewhere.

... ... ...

I predict that Frattin will be a top-six winger on the Heat. He will find himself at nearly a point-per-game and will open up opportunities for himself be it with the Flames, another NHL club, or a top European side. He’ll be a great asset to have in the dressing room, surrounded by the likes of Calgary up and coming stars who will look to him for advice on how to get to the show.

On Ryan Lomberg
He’s still looking for his first goal in a Heat sweater but he had 18 of them in Adirondack last season in 43 games, and I certainly hope we’ll be seeing him more around these parts this season. However he does share the team record with Hunter Smith for the most PIMS in a single game with 22. Smith is 10 inches taller and both players had two fights, a minor and a game.

I predict just that, as his 15 games in the AHL last season will be much higher this year. Depending on how the roster shakes up in Calgary, I’d also love to see Lomberg in a bigger role to see what he can do. He got that job for a couple games last season, but entering his second pro year, I think Lomberg can make the jump to being a player who, like a Garnet Hathaway before him, can play himself into an NHL contract.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think he's off on Frattin....
The Heat are getting deep on marginal players, and there will be competition for his ice time. I think him getting 40-50 points would be a successful season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he's off on Frattin....
The Heat are getting deep on marginal players, and there will be competition for his ice time. I think him getting 40-50 points would be a successful season.
Wouldn't that depend on how one defines nearly a point per game? Hard to call him wrong when then high end of your prediction is what I would call nearly a point per game.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Wouldn't that depend on how one defines nearly a point per game? Hard to call him wrong when then high end of your prediction is what I would call nearly a point per game.

You would call scoring at below .75 ppg, nearly ppg? (and that's at 50 points)
I just don't see him with much of a shot at NHL time, as I think there'd be a handful of guys that will get that opp first.

Could happen though, but it will be interesting to see who gets the short end on playing time. I'd like to see Carrol/Smith take a step forward, but wings are getting deep. Unless ofcourse we run into the usual plague of injuries.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You would call scoring at below .75 ppg, nearly ppg? (and that's at 50 points)
I just don't see him with much of a shot at NHL time, as I think there'd be a handful of guys that will get that opp first.

Could happen though, but it will be interesting to see who gets the short end on playing time. I'd like to see Carrol/Smith take a step forward, but wings are getting deep. Unless ofcourse we run into the usual plague of injuries.
He's on an AHL contract, of course he won't get AHL time. He also had 48 points in 59 games the season before last, so I think you are underestimating what he is capable of.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
He's on an AHL contract, of course he won't get AHL time. He also had 48 points in 59 games the season before last, so I think you are underestimating what he is capable of.

I could be, but I like I said in my first post on the subject I think he's pumping up Frattin too much.
Sure he scored at a good clip 2 years ago, but that was on a much better team offensively than what we're going to ice. I think him repeating last years clip is much more likely.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I could be, but I like I said in my first post on the subject I think he's pumping up Frattin too much.
Sure he scored at a good clip 2 years ago, but that was on a much better team offensively than what we're going to ice. I think him repeating last years clip is much more likely.

If he's used like Hathaway was was I can see him getting 50+ points personally. But I hope he's not because it means nothing has changed in how this team is being coached.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
Happy for mike angelidis and ryan lomberg, he has even been in some of my classes throughout elementary and high school but always thought he was too small to make it but a fantastic player. Do you guys expect him to player on the heat this year? point projections?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Happy for mike angelidis and ryan lomberg, he has even been in some of my classes throughout elementary and high school but always thought he was too small to make it but a fantastic player. Do you guys expect him to player on the heat this year? point projections?
Lomberg making the team outright is unlikely IMO, I think there is just too much competition from guys with NHL contracts. I suspect he will be back with Adirondack for the most part and be a semi-regular call-up when an extra body is needed. I do think he will be over a point per game in the ECHL this year though.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The biggest change in Stockton this year will be the preparedness of the coaching staff, support staff, and the added coaches.

The development last year in Stockton was greatly impacted from the move from Adirondack to Stockton in a relatively short time frame. Unlike last year Huska looks refreshed this year over last.

I am looking forward to seeing Poirier, Klimchuck, Morrison, Kulak and Wotherspoon put back on track. Prybil, Smith, Mangiapane, Andersson, and Kylington could really benefit if Huska and crew can replicate the development obtained 2 years ago in Adirondack.

The Heat could be a very scary team to face if the development goals are obtained.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The biggest change in Stockton this year will be the preparedness of the coaching staff, support staff, and the added coaches.

The development last year in Stockton was greatly impacted from the move from Adirondack to Stockton in a relatively short time frame. Unlike last year Huska looks refreshed this year over last.

I am looking forward to seeing Poirier, Klimchuck, Morrison, Kulak and Wotherspoon put back on track. Prybil, Smith, Mangiapane, Andersson, and Kylington could really benefit if Huska and crew can replicate the development obtained 2 years ago in Adirondack.

The Heat could be a very scary team to face if the development goals are obtained.

I see them in a fight just to make the PO's. But really hard to say anything at this point until we know the roster.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Heat will be very lucky to make the playoffs. They were a team that struggled to score goals and let most of their top scorers go. They were also a poor defensive team that lost their best 2 defensemen.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I see them in a fight just to make the PO's. But really hard to say anything at this point until we know the roster.

The most important function of the Heat is to develop these young players into quality NHL players.

That aside the systems the Flames and Heat are going to play have changed. The clubs work together to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL as simple as possible.

Last season in Stockton was an anomaly since Burke came to the organization. The move to Stockton really messed with the the preparation for the system. With the exception of a couple older vets the players came in totally unprepared.

You have to look no further than Kenny Morrison this season vs last to see the difference a year makes. I expect every player to be much more prepared this year and the results will show.

The Flames will sign a couple of D tryouts to AHL contracts and the situation on the blue line will be looked after.

The depth of the Flames system is good and therefore would expect them to be in the playoffs easily.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Prospect depth doesn't really equal AHL success. You need a good mix of talented young players, good veteran AHLers, and coaching to even have a chance.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The most important function of the Heat is to develop these young players into quality NHL players.

That aside the systems the Flames and Heat are going to play have changed. The clubs work together to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL as simple as possible.

Last season in Stockton was an anomaly since Burke came to the organization. The move to Stockton really messed with the the preparation for the system. With the exception of a couple older vets the players came in totally unprepared.

You have to look no further than Kenny Morrison this season vs last to see the difference a year makes. I expect every player to be much more prepared this year and the results will show.

The Flames will sign a couple of D tryouts to AHL contracts and the situation on the blue line will be looked after.

The depth of the Flames system is good and therefore would expect them to be in the playoffs easily.

What makes our system any better than 30 others? Many other teams are loaded with AHL experience, where ours is not. All it takes is Janko/Dman to make the big team and we're lacking any real top depth. Run into the usual injury bug and we're in trouble. I do think that with a defensive system and Gillies in top form we could win many tight games, but I really don't think we're a top team. I'll stick to my outlook and be happy making the PO's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad