Prospect Info: 2016-17 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats/Info/Links in Post #1; Updated 10.27.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Beacon, how's Buch doing in the AHL? I recall you insisted he had to play there "to adjust" while ignoring all available facts and signs pointing against such development.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Beacon, how's Buch doing in the AHL? I recall you insisted he had to play there "to adjust" while ignoring all available facts and signs pointing against such development.

I said there was a chance of it because he struggled in the KHL. I never said he's definitely going there, just that there was a shot at it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

lets just be clear, this post is not about Buch, not about Beac, just about K4

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Just don't understand what Kovalev27 said that required a scolding lecture. (He didn't even mention Fast or Lindberg lol) :naughty:

Not sure why i cant argue that Shesterkin can play in the NHL next year if he's contractually allowed. It's not a scolding lecture, it's a debate. The KHL is better than the AHL. He's doing really well in the KHL. Therefore, the idea that if he comes here, he'll be in the AHL is wrong. By the end of this season, Shesterkin will have a similar number of KHL/VHL starts as Richter, Beezer, Biron, Cloutier, Healy had in the AHL/IHL/ECHL. Therefore, experience is not necessarily a problem either.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not sure why i cant argue that Shesterkin can play in the NHL next year if he's contractually allowed. It's not a scolding lecture, it's a debate. The KHL is better than the AHL. He's doing really well in the KHL. Therefore, the idea that if he comes here, he'll be in the AHL is wrong. By the end of this season, Shesterkin will have a similar number of KHL/VHL starts as Richter, Beezer, Biron, Cloutier, Healy had in the AHL/IHL/ECHL. Therefore, experience is not necessarily a problem either.

Maybe it's punctuation but to me K27 was preemptively acknowledging that Shesterkin will not spend time in the AHL. He didn't explicitly say it was because of the skill but it was said in the context of Shesty putting up amazing numbers this season (career wise too). I am not sure if Shesty's recently signed 3-year contract was also a part of the basis for the statement but I personally don't see him giving up an opportunity to be a starter for the KHL super club in order to play in Hartford.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
The goalie didn't even move :laugh: Nice release.

Yeah, Gropp has always had a nice release that has enabled him to get off shots quickly and in tight spaces. Really wish he could have shown the same knack for finding space and getting off his shot at Traverse...but he couldn't. Despite his size, he's just not physical enough for the Pro game at the moment.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Maybe it's punctuation but to me K27 was preemptively acknowledging that Shesterkin will not spend time in the AHL.

The point was NEVER whether he'll spend actual time in the AHL. The debate was whether or not his ability is at the AHL level or NHL level. My point was that if he can get out of the KHL contract, he shouldn't think he'll spend time in the AHL because even next year he's likely to play in the NHL if he can escape the KHL. K27 was basing everything he says on the assumption that the reason Shesterkin shouldn't come here is that he'd immediately get sent down to the AHL because he is not good enough for the NHL, so therefore, it's better to stay in Russia.

The disagreement was on why Shesterkin won't spend time in the AHL: he thought because Shesterkin wasn't good enough for the NHL, I thought only because Shesterkin may not be able to break his KHL contract.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, Gropp has always had a nice release that has enabled him to get off shots quickly and in tight spaces. Really wish he could have shown the same knack for finding space and getting off his shot at Traverse...but he couldn't. Despite his size, he's just not physical enough for the Pro game at the moment.

Maybe it semantic but to me it's about skating and finding open space since he already has a quick release and power shot.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Maybe it semantic but to me it's about skating and finding open space since he already has a quick release and power shot.

He is not very agile so skating in that sense is not something he can do(if that is what you mean).
I got all kinds of poop for this but if he can model his game after Pirri he will have a shot at the NHL. It is already pretty slimier. He needs to find lanes either shooting or skating better and he needs to learn to use his size and not in a grinder way but more to just separate himself and protect the puck. He does not have very good hands(stick-handling)but if he uses his body better then that will help him hang onto pucks better.
Shot and speed are there, everything else is still at the WHL level (including strength).
I really thought when he was drafted he would develop into a 3rd line winger. His development stalled last season and he has not added the grinding style I thought he would by now. I thought he would be a sure fire NHLer but by not adding skills that would make him a good 3-4 liner he has turned himself into a boom or bust.
He will take time but games like last night's 2P without a top center is a really good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad