Confirmed Signing with Link: 2016-17 Prospect Signings Thread

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He'd be a FA August 15 (2018), as a NCAA player, so we won't know tomorrow (and that's why he says he will turn pro "this summer").

Petersen was drafted in 2013. As he is leaving college early, his rights are no longer held through August 15, 2018. They are held through the later of the fourth June 1 following his selection in the entry draft, or 30 days after he leaves college. So since the fourth June 1 following his selection in the draft is today, Petersen's rights are held by Buffalo for 30 days following yesterday.

As Petersen would not be able to sign an SPC that commences next season after today, and to my knowledge a player can't sign an SPC that covers the current league year if the team doesn't have any games left, if Petersen isn't signed today, he won't be able to sign until July 1, when he'll already be a free agent.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Petersen was drafted in 2013. As he is leaving college early, his rights are no longer held through August 15, 2018. They are held through the later of the fourth June 1 following his selection in the entry draft, or 30 days after he leaves college. So since the fourth June 1 following his selection in the draft is today, Petersen's rights are held by Buffalo for 30 days following yesterday.

As Petersen would not be able to sign an SPC that commences next season after today, and to my knowledge a player can't sign an SPC that covers the current league year if the team doesn't have any games left, if Petersen isn't signed today, he won't be able to sign until July 1, when he'll already be a free agent.

Matt Benning was in the same situation last season and he only got signed in late August.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

haha, the evidence was there in his statement and in my own post

I was thinking "this summer" meant 2018 :laugh: but alas it's 2017!! :laugh::laugh:
So if he is turning pro "this summer", then that means he is indeed leaving school early, and his rights will be held until June 30, and he'll be free to sign anywhere July 1!!

Nice catch

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Crazy. Estephan had 35 goals and 89 points this past season and set career highs in goals, assists and points this past season. He also averages 1.22 points-per-game over his WHL career in the playoffs. Surprised the Sabres couldn't find a spot for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Crazy. Estephan had 35 goals and 89 points this past season and set career highs in goals, assists and points this past season. He also averages 1.22 points-per-game over his WHL career in the playoffs. Surprised the Sabres couldn't find a spot for him.

Agreed. I don't understand this even from the standpoint of injecting scoring into the AHL lineup. I am disappointed it did not get done.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
So who are the notables that aren't receiving deals that may draw interest elsewhere? Estephan is one most likely.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Any of them good?

None are eye-wateringly good but all are pretty decent.

Korostelev can be frustrating at times but tantalizing at others. Can have nifty mitts and can grease it up in the corners/along the boards. But often times he can just feel flat and his skating leaves a lot to be desired. Upside: middle-6 with scoring ability. Definitely on the fence situation about whether he would've gotten an ELC, but I now I certainly see another teaming taking a chance on him in this draft.

Desrocher was another on the fence, and I think the Rosen/Bergman signings kinda hurt his cause. He ate minutes this year in Kingston and was a strong captain who played strong defense. Also had decent offensive upside, but nothing overly impressive for a 21y/o in the O. He's got a good strong frame and pretty good IQ.
His work ethic alone might get him into the NHL. I can see Toronto giving him an AHL spot for a couple years and grooming him if he remains a FA.

Herzog was the least likely to sign. I have seen him the least, but I just have this feeling, he's the kinda player that will sign as a free agent out of Europe 5 years down the road and be a decent free-wallet depth guy. He seems pretty content in Switzerland right now though and I imagine that partially factored into him not being retained. Decent frame, but needs to use it more, decent tools but needs to refine them more. Can see him as a strong AHL scoring winger, but I can't really say how he'd do in the NHL right now.

Overall though, if Toronto's prospect pool wasn't so full (just by quantity, not necessarily quality), like if they were drafted 5 years ago, I think all three would signed, but right now it's a numbers game and there are limited spots. Desrochers surprises me the most. I hope we bring him back in some form.

Also on the list, Estephan (and to a lesser extent Possler) from Buffalo also surprises me. I think he'll be a nice addition for another team. I'm keeping my eyes on Roy Radke too; I can see him redrafted.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
None are eye-wateringly good but all are pretty decent.

Korostelev can be frustrating at times but tantalizing at others. Can have nifty mitts and can grease it up in the corners/along the boards. But often times he can just feel flat and his skating leaves a lot to be desired. Upside: middle-6 with scoring ability. Definitely on the fence situation about whether he would've gotten an ELC, but I now I certainly see another teaming taking a chance on him in this draft.

Desrocher was another on the fence, and I think the Rosen/Bergman signings kinda hurt his cause. He ate minutes this year in Kingston and was a strong captain who played strong defense. Also had decent offensive upside, but nothing overly impressive for a 21y/o in the O. He's got a good strong frame and pretty good IQ.
His work ethic alone might get him into the NHL. I can see Toronto giving him an AHL spot for a couple years and grooming him if he remains a FA.
It shows that you can never really believe what you hear during the draft, as I can remember Sportsnet falling all over themselves to praise these two picks for Toronto when they were made, I distinctly remember the word "Steal" being bandied about.

Also on the list, Estephan (and to a lesser extent Possler) from Buffalo also surprises me. I think he'll be a nice addition for another team. I'm keeping my eyes on Roy Radke too; I can see him redrafted.
Possler's scoring really dried up this past season, going from seasons of 24 and 21 points in the SHL to just 4 last season.

Radke had his best season points-per-game-wise this past season, but still only ended up with 36 (Albeit in 45 games). I wouldn't be shocked if Chicago keeps an eye on him and offers him an AHL deal in the future if he goes un-picked.

The one that surprised me the most, besides Estephan, was Matt Bradley for Montreal, whose point totals increased every year since the Habs drafted him, culminating in 34 goals and 77 points this past year.

I was also surprised that Columbus didn't sign Sam Ruopp (as the Blue Jackets seemed quite high on him); St. Louis didn't sign Glenn Gawdin (Despite injury issues, his point totals have remained good) and Vancouver with Carl Neill (I would have thought someone would have found room for a defender who put up 69 points this year, even at the AHL level).

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Will overagers (Neill, Desrocher, Schmalz) who didn't get signed be able to re-enter the draft?

I can't find the exact rule but I know that Brenden Kichton and Lukas Sutter were redrafted after their CHL overager season.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=48665
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32763

However the first time they were drafted was before the new CBA.

-----
As a side note, Columbus don't own Peter Quenneville's rights anymore while Pittsburgh has lost Ryan Segalla's NHL rights.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Can there be a list of all players that their rights are now up that can re-enter the draft/become free agents?

NYR didn't sign Brad Morrison today. Was previously 4th round pick and has a strong finesse game!!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Can there be a list of all players that their rights are now up that can re-enter the draft/become free agents?

NYR didn't sign Brad Morrison today. Was previously 4th round pick and has a strong finesse game!!

Here's the guys that will re-enter the draft:
BUF - F Giorgio Estephan
CGY - D Riley Bruce
DET - F Adam Marsh
MTL - Matthew Bradley
NSH - G Evan Smith
NYR - F Brad Morrison
PHI - F Samuel Dove-McFalls
STL - F Liam Dunda
STL - D Glenn Gawdin
TOR - F Nikita Korostelev
VAN - D Tate Olson
WPG - F Matteo Gennaro

DBQD9b6UwAACuTW

The rest of those names are UFA's.

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Here's the guys that will re-enter the draft:
BUF - F Giorgio Estephan
CGY - D Riley Bruce
DET - F Adam Marsh
MTL - Matthew Bradley
NSH - G Evan Smith
NYR - F Brad Morrison
PHI - F Samuel Dove-McFalls
STL - F Liam Dunda
STL - D Glenn Gawdin
TOR - F Nikita Korostelev
VAN - D Tate Olson
WPG - F Matteo Gennaro

The rest of those names are UFA's.

Shouldn't Radke be back into the draft?
(among others?)

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The cutoff this year for North American based players is January 1st, 1997 to September 15th, 1999. Radke was born on December 10th, 1996.

Is that the window for previously non-drafted North America players only, maybe?

As a counterexample,
Three years ago, in the 2014 draft, Lukas Sutter was redrafted.

If for the 2017 NHL Draft the window is January 1st, 1997 to September 15th, 1999, then (being under the same system), the 2014 NHL Draft window would've been January 1st, 1994 to September 15th, 1996, but Lukas Sutter was born October 4, 1993, outside of said window, yet was still draft eligible.

The CBA even says "All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except: " and then lists 5 cases that don't cover what we're talking about (8.4(a)) (and bolded emphasis my own).
The CBA then later even specifies a hypothetical situation that may defy it: "if a Player is drafted for the first time at age 20 and re-enters the Entry Draft at age 22, the Club that selects him as a re-entry may retain the exclusive negotiating rights to the Player for only one (1) year..." (8.6 (a)(iii)).
By your time frame, (North American) players cannot re-enter at the age of 22.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I just don't know the answer myself and can't find a specific ruling about the cutoff for North American re-entries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad