League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Free Agency Fallout (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm bored, so here's what a few minutes on google turns up about these guys.

Christian Thomas - 24 year old drafted 40th overall by the Rangers in 2010. Small, speedy winger with a 10-11-21 line in 34 AHL games and 3 points in 27 NHL games.

Darren Dietz - 22 year old drafted in the 5th round by the Canadiens in 2011. Supposedly a PMD, but only put up 16 points in 61 AHL games last season. Had 5 points in 13 games with the Habs this year.

Joe Cannata - 26 year old drafted in the 6th round in 2009. Posted a 2.52 GAA and a .909 sv% in 40 games in the AHL last season.

I can provide you guys with insights on Thomas and Dietz.

Thomas: Absolute and unequivocal trash. He might score some goals at the AHL level because he has a good shot but the rest of his game is atrocious. There's no upside for this guy.

Dietz: I was sad when the Habs didn't qualify him, there's potential in there to be a bottom pairing depth D. He has a huge shot, he will drop the gloves, is physical. With the right development, as he's still young, I think he's a guy who can give you some things on the bottom pairing without making any glaring mistakes. Steady guy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So is Jason Demers the only player that's going to be signed today?

Wonder how long the remainder hold out before settling for "ehhh, here's what cap space we have left" deals?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
PA Parenteau just signed for 1 year $1.25M. That's such a good deal for the Islanders and one the Capitals should have made instead.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Screw PA Parenteau. He's a bum, he only got to 20 goals because he was in the Leafs' top 6. He'd be on the 4th line here and he would get minimal production. Connolly will do the same.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Screw PA Parenteau. He's a bum, he only got to 20 goals because he was in the Leafs' top 6. He'd be on the 4th line here and he would get minimal production. Connolly will do the same.

Parenteau is soft trash who did a Pettinger in Toronto and spent his entire Isles career on a line w Tavares.

We have no need for him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Quality over quantity.

I'm actually not a big fan of Parenteau, but he's got a lot more upside than replacement level players. Given the choice between a single $1.5M player or two $750K players, I take the former. League minimum guys offer depth, and there's nothing wrong with acquiring them. But the difference between a league minimum guy and whoever you already have in the system tends to be rather small. I'd much rather take a risk on a guy with the upside to play higher in the lineup.

To be clear, I wouldn't want to hinge a critical area on a PAP-type player. I'm not advocating for PAP to replace an existing top nine member entirely. Avoiding a scenario like when they tried to replace Alexander Semin with Wojtek Wolski is imperative. Simply talking about how I'd prefer they use up their remainder cap space.

Parenteau is soft trash who did a Pettinger in Toronto and spent his entire Isles career on a line w Tavares.

He had a couple pretty solid years in Colorado, too.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Just a tad over 8 mil left in the cupboard and they still need to sign MOJO and Orlov. Projecting MOJO tops out at 4.5 and Orlov at 2.5 will leave 1 for Versteeg. Not sure that will do it.

I believe that 8m includes Galiev. If they sign another F, then Galiev would be gone....so another 600k or so would get added. So around 8.6m before MaJo and Orlov

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Quality over quantity.

I'm actually not a big fan of Parenteau, but he's got a lot more upside than replacement level players. Given the choice between a single $1.5M player or two $750K players, I take the former. League minimum guys offer depth, and there's nothing wrong with acquiring them. But the difference between a league minimum guy and whoever you already have in the system tends to be rather small. I'd much rather take a risk on a guy with the upside to play higher in the lineup.

To be clear, I wouldn't want to hinge a critical area on a PAP-type player. I'm not advocating for PAP to replace an existing top nine member entirely. Avoiding a scenario like when they tried to replace Alexander Semin with Wojtek Wolski is imperative. Simply talking about how I'd prefer they use up their remainder cap space.

He had a couple pretty solid years in Colorado, too.

Yeah, PAP is meh. But that's not really your argument here.

Winnik is the hole. Replace him with Walker or Stephenson. Dump Galiev and add a new 2.25m player from the Vet bin to push Wilson from 3rd line to 4th. Or even perhaps move Beagle to 3RW (your point earlier in one of these threads), if that 2.25m player can be a C (Cullen would be very nice, and would cost less than 2.25.... So bank some space)

Bottom 6:
MaJo-Eller-Beagle
Connolly-Cullen- Wilson
Stephenson/Vrana

Bank some space (like 1m, give or take). 4-5m at TDL?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I believe that 8m includes Galiev. If they sign another F, then Galiev would be gone....so another 600k or so would get added. So around 8.6m before MaJo and Orlov

Just looking at the usual suspects for scratches from last season, they were:
- Galiev
- Latta
- Chorney

With two regulars from last year's roster gone, Richards and Chimera, the Caps have added Eller and Connolly.

So MAJO and Orlov would be regulars as they were last season, thus who will be filling the role of the "healthy scratches" then, as their salaries need to be factored in to the cap as well. Right now Galiev and Chorney are back, the Latta spot has not yet been filled. You would rather a vet, so the young players get playing time and continue to develop at Hershey.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Winnik is the hole. Replace him with Walker or Stephenson. Dump Galiev and add a new 2.25m player from the Vet bin to push Wilson from 3rd line to 4th. Or even perhaps move Beagle to 3RW (your point earlier in one of these threads), if that 2.25m player can be a C (Cullen would be very nice, and would cost less than 2.25.... So bank some space)

Bottom 6:
MaJo-Eller-Beagle
Connolly-Cullen- Wilson
Stephenson/Vrana

I actually like that bottom six quite a bit. It has center depth (moving either Johansson or Beagle to the middle, depending on which center gets hurt). It has scoring depth (that 3rd line doesn't have to be a pure checking line, although it can more than hold its own defensively). It's defensively responsible. It has both leftys and rightys that can win faceoffs.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
MOJO for Hartnell (3 yrs at 4.75)

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Williams
Hartnell - Eller - Wilson/Connolly
Winnik - Beagle - Wilson/Connolly

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I actually like that bottom six quite a bit. It has center depth (moving either Johansson or Beagle to the middle, depending on which center gets hurt). It has scoring depth (that 3rd line doesn't have to be a pure checking line, although it can more than hold its own defensively). It's defensively responsible. It has both leftys and rightys that can win faceoffs.

Cullen would allow the Caps to have a LOT of C depth. Both MaJo and even Eller could slot into top 6 C if need be, and of course Beagle can play 3c.

I think that's the player I want the Caps to get. Cullen. If they can also trade Winnik for futures, then even better. That may allow them to sign a defenseman .... thus pushing Chorney down to 8. I'd like to see if Seidenberg can get his form back post knee injury.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Bottom 6:
MaJo-Eller-Beagle
Connolly-Cullen- Wilson
Stephenson/Vrana

If we could get a deal like Pitt had (say 1mil) I would take cullen.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Bottom 6:
MaJo-Eller-Beagle
Connolly-Cullen- Wilson
Stephenson/Vrana

I like this a lot. if you can trade Mojo + for someone better in his slot or Orlov + for someone better in his, fine, but I'd be very happy going into October with that forward corps and planning, tentatively, to upgrade the D at the deadline if needed.

EDIT: I'd want Willy to get his shot at 3RW, and I'm not even sure I'd bother dumping Winnik. At $1m, seems like they could afford Cullen without only dumping Galiev. Let Connolly and Winnik fight it out for ice time.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Can somebody please tell me what the Blues are doing? Lose Elliot (due to expansion draft coming) let TB, Ott and Backes go, then sign Perron for just under 4mil a year? ugh

On top of that, they are trying to shop Shattenkirk because they wont resign him next year.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Can somebody please tell me what the Blues are doing? Lose Elliot (due to expansion draft coming) let TB, Ott and Backes go, then sign Perron for just under 4mil a year? ugh

On top of that, they are trying to shop Shattenkirk because they wont resign him next year.

It's f'in' crazy. they were a shot away from the SCF this year and then blew some stuff up. Admittedly, they've still got some great talent, but yeah, makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad