Speculation: 2016-17 ★ Trade Proposals and Speculation ★

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lindell is probably the second best puck handler on the team right now. Sure not setting the bar very high since outside of Klingberg everyone else handles it like its a hand granade but i'm pretty certain as the season goes along Lindell is a regular . Likely earning himself that protection spot .

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Really? I think Lindell was pretty good in those 2 games he played this season...

It's too early to tell, but Lindell seems to be a jack-of-all, master of none type of defensemen.

I think he's an NHLer for sure, and if there's space to keep him and see if he develops, then I'm fine with him sticking around for a while. I just wouldn't be heartbroken if we were able to trade him in a package for a top-pairing D, #1 Tender, or 1st Round pick.

I'd much rather trade Oleksiak and have him compete with Nemeth and Jordie a bit more.

Somebody has gotta go.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
It's too early to tell, but Lindell seems to be a jack-of-all, master of none type of defensemen.

I think he's an NHLer for sure, and if there's space to keep him and see if he develops, then I'm fine with him sticking around for a while. I just wouldn't be heartbroken if we were able to trade him in a package for a top-pairing D, #1 Tender, or 1st Round pick.

I'd much rather trade Oleksiak and have him compete with Nemeth and Jordie a bit more.

Somebody has gotta go.

I agree with you, that he was pretty invisible last year in Austin and those few games in Dallas too, but this year he made quite a lot good defensive plays and showed poise and solid outlet pass... I like him... he will be good, but he needs to play regularly imo

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Lindell can't defend at the NHL level, nor has he displayed any offensive talents in the NHL to warrant keeping him around.

Send him to the AHL and let him continue to develop.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lindell can't defend at the NHL level, nor has he displayed any offensive talents in the NHL to warrant keeping him around.

Send him to the AHL and let him continue to develop.

Its not like Oleksiak , Nemeth or Jordie did either . Lindell might be already better than those 3 even if he still is a work in progress .

At the end of the day you want your best lineup and Lindell probably is in that.

So far this year he's looked better than all 3 . Sure you barely notice him but thats a good thing . Most of the time when you notice a depth defenseman is when they a mistake and cause a goal.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Ruff should staple Ritchie to the top line for a few games in order to showcase him for other GMs and ship him out.

He has all the qualities NHL GMs love, so Nil should take advantage of it.

Its not like Oleksiak , Nemeth or Jordie did either . Lindell might be already better than those 3 even if he still is a work in progress .

At the end of the day you want your best lineup and Lindell probably is in that.

So far this year he's looked better than all 3 . Sure you barely notice him but thats a good thing . Most of the time when you notice a depth defenseman is when they a mistake and cause a goal.

In a small sample (54 mins of 5v5) hes had the worst corsi against per 60 in the past two seasons out of all defensemen on the Stars. CA60 of 58.34.

Nemeth, who is "not good" by the standards of fans... had a CA60 of 54.47 in 855 minutes.

Klingberg - 55.84
Johns - 55.19
Oduya - 53.89
Jordie - 53.84
Oleksiak - 57.84

Not to mention the fact that Lindell literally has two shots in over 50 minutes of 5 on 5 icetime and no points.

Send him to the AHL to let him play with confidence and roll with Klingberg, Nemeth, Hamhuis, Jordie, Johns, Oduya and Oleksiak.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Corsi is only a factor when the other guys don't make mistakes every game they are in that cause goals .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Corsi is only a factor when the other guys don't make mistakes every game they are in that cause goals .

Corsi is always a factor. Like it or not, Lindell is not a good defender at the NHL level yet and obviously needs more development time. If he continues to stay in the NHL it harms his development and the team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We haven't seen enough of Lindell to really judge that just yet . Especially not this year where he has played just two games and was paired with Oleksiak who caused a goal against in both games on the PK . Gotta see him paired with someone competent first .

Last edited:

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
We're gonna judge his defensive ability in the NHL off of 50ish minutes and a single stat?

Okay.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Bottom line is that Lindell will probably be back in the AHL before he hits, 9 games, is it?

He's got a 2-way contract, so you might as well send him down. I could see us rotating Honka or Backman into the lineup to get a taste as well.

Lindell is fine. He will likely end up being a competent bottom-4 D for us or someone else. He needs more seasoning, and for us to not be floundering in the silly 8D business that I thought would have been over come the beginning of this season.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We're gonna judge his defensive ability in the NHL off of 50ish minutes and a single stat?

Okay.

Watch him play. The eye test backs the stats up.

We're all quick to overreact over big plays. Quick example: Goligoski turnovers in the playoffs, but we tend to miss the smaller mistakes.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Watch him play. The eye test backs the stats up.

We're all quick to overreact over big plays. Quick example: Goligoski turnovers in the playoffs, but we tend to miss the smaller mistakes.

As far as Goligoski, the stats are finally starting to back up what those of us who don't rely solely on advanced stats have always known -- he's a terrible defender and decent overall player whose advanced stats looked great because he was always on the ice with the Stars extremely skilled top line forwards.

Lindell's advanced stats might look awful in a small sample, but he has the skill set to be a good NHL defender. He doesn't need to go to the AHL to develop his skills. He needs to learn to apply his skills at the speed and intensity of the NHL game, which is something he cannot learn in the AHL, and for that reason, I suspect he will stay in the NHL and rotate in and out of the lineup.

Btw, Lindell might have the second best pure puck skills among the NHL defensemen, but in a game situation, he's currently far behind hamhuis and johns.

Patrik nemeth has been very solid out there. He and Johns are leagues ahead of oleksiak, Lindell, and jordie, thus far

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As far as Goligoski, the stats are finally starting to back up what those of us who don't rely solely on advanced stats have always known -- he's a terrible defender and decent overall player whose advanced stats looked great because he was always on the ice with the Stars extremely skilled top line forwards.

Patrik nemeth has been very solid out there. He and Johns are leagues ahead of oleksiak, Lindell, and jordie, thus far

Hadn't thought to check Goli's AZ stats, but would have expected them to trend down a bit at least.

I think Nemeth is bouncing back from the last two painful seasons pretty well (injury and benching). At least, I hope so. The Stars really need Nemeth and Johns to be the real deal and top or second pair quality D. I figure we will eventually see one on the top pair with Klinger, and the other paired with Honka. Maybe the pairs will be considered relatively equal.

They will eventually have to shed Haimus and Oduya due to age and contract (two and one years, respectively), and the third pair can consist of Jordie if required, Lindell (who hopefully can scale up the lineup when injury requires) and anyone else they can find.

marty182

Jul 19, 2013
what do you think about trading Niemi for Halak? they both get 4,5 mil (1 more year) and I know that Halak has history of injuries, but may be competition between him and Kari has more sence. because now Niemi is playing in kind of relaxing mode

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Isles aren't taking Niemi for Halak unless we sweeten the pot. Even then, they'd still carry 3 goalies with Berube, Greiss and Niemi. That doesn't solve their problem.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
WYAC3Yl.jpg

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Calgary-Dallas deal

What would Dallas fans want for Klingberg from Calgary? Only Gaudreau is not available, everybody else is. Preferably take back a Dman for Klingberg though.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd actually be willing to give up Brodie. They both have fantastic contracts. However, if you get Brodie, I'd want a top 4 LHD in return with Klingberg as well.

We don't really have much to choose from, really only Oduya or Hamhuis.

If your just looking to balance out letfy-righty pairs, I'd be open to adding in Wideman to Dallas in exchange for Oduya, but that doesn't really add much value to the Flames so maybe you'd be looking for Dallas to add something on top of that? I don't know?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'd actually be willing to give up Brodie. They both have fantastic contracts. However, if you get Brodie, I'd want a top 4 LHD in return with Klingberg as well.

Dallas adds to get Brodie?

We have the younger defenseman, signed longer, at a lower cap hit, and with more team control.

Not interested.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It would be nice to live in a world where you could get 2 top 4 defensemen for 1, I just didn't realize some people currently did live there.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Habs fan coming in peace!

Let's say you're not into a playoffs spot.. is Spezza available?

If so, what would be his price? Could Beaulieu be the center piece for him? (obviously with a cap dump to balance salaries)

He could be a good pickup for us as a 2C

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad