Speculation: 2016-17 ★ Trade Proposals and Speculation ★

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Wonder if Anaheim would trade Lindholm for Klingberg. I'd cry but I think I'd do it, need an all around lefty more than a pure offensive righty. Contract would be a bit less favorable, maybe that would be enough for Anaheim to even add a bit.

Something like Lindholm + Manson for Klingberg + Lindell. Little bit of pie in the sky, but man, roster construction on the back end would be real nice long term.

Ahhh... No thanks. Both still have too much potential to be moved, even for each other. And we'd be getting the worse contract as well.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I've given it some thought and Anaheim probably says no

except the fact that Hampus is w/o a contract rn soo0o0o0o0o0o0o0oooooo

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Ruff should staple Ritchie to the top line for a few games in order to showcase him for other GMs and ship him out.

He has all the qualities NHL GMs love, so Nil should take advantage of it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Trading Klingberg for Lindholm would not improve the team too much. It gives us the same problem we have now . Over reliance on 1 defenseman to move the puck only a different defenseman , albeit a better ( and way more expensive ) one.

Not to mention there's no way Anaheim traded Lindholm to us and for a price that would improve the team.

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think Lindholm and Klingberg are of the same caliber of player.

Anaheim’s cap situation is kinda ****ed, this is a financially motivated move that may even give them the ability to extend Fowler (which looks unlikely right now).

I tacked on a Lindell for Manson swap because Manson is Lindholm’s partner. And they are phenominal together, I’d be totally comfortable with them on our top pair and Hamhuis, Johns and Oduya holding down the 3, 4 and 5 defensive gigs. Maybe the tack on is a bit greedy of me, but whatevs, sue me.

At least in my mind, the three most valuable defenseman in the Stars organization are all righties. And considering we’re hell bent on lefty-righty symmetry, that’s not ideal. And I think if Honka hits, his potential value to the Stars is mildy capped because he and Kling will never play together and it’s too many righties on the top PP unit (speaking of which, less shorties given up with a Kling-Lindholm swap). So as far as long term defensive unit construction, I think we’re better with an all around lefty vs an offensive righty.

I think that’s worth the extra $2.5 million it would cost; it is in my mind at least. But I certainly understand any disagreements and think they are justified.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Ruff should staple Ritchie to the top line for a few games in order to showcase him for other GMs and ship him out.

He has all the qualities NHL GMs love, so Nil should take advantage of it.

Yeah, I'll jump on the use Ritchie as a trade chip train with you, just give me a couple weeks till some of our forwards get back.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
re: Orlov

I'd inquire about offering up Oduya with about a million dollars worth of retained salary.

I'll take a gamble on potential. A potential cure (even if unlikely) is a better treatment option than a band aid. Might need to add a bit though, not sure.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Josh Manson is elite

Brett Ritchie doesn't bring anything to the team, even with all of these injuries. Hockey players always insist on looking at things one day at a time, but trading Ritchie for a defenseman is something that could drastically improve us today.... and tomorrow.

Don't even begin to @ me about the expansion draft, this nonsense that Esa Lindell deserves to be protected needs to go the way of the dinosaurs.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think he brings something to the team. While he might not become the top line FW we hoped he would be, not unlike many other second round draft picks, he has some speed (not enough to keep up with Benn), size, and willingness to hit, along with a modicum of scoring touch.

In other words, exactly the kind of lower six winger you have to get and keep cheaply. And probably has some potential to scale up the line up when needed for short periods of time without hurting you too badly.

The real takeaway from his modest performance so far is to tap the breaks on Shore (and other prospects coming along) and what he brings. Ritchie had a similar awesome start and we thought he was a sure thing. Time tends to even out the good and the bad, and the value is perceived over the long term contributions.

It also confirms the general thought among experts that the Stars have a deep prospect pool, but other than Honka, and maybe DG, no real standouts that can play top six/four.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Who do you have for RW next year if you trade Ritchie?

Sharp - UFA
Hemsky - UFA
Hudler - UFA
Eaves - UFA
Nichushkin - KHL
Korpikoski - UFA
Cracknell - UFA

Ritchie - RFA

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Who do you have for RW next year if you trade Ritchie?

Sharp - UFA
Hemsky - UFA
Hudler - UFA
Eaves - UFA
Nichushkin - KHL
Korpikoski - UFA
Cracknell - UFA

Ritchie - RFA

Nichushkin has an out-clause in the summer.

Roster skeleton looks like this:

Benn - Seguin - Guy
Janmark - Spezza - Guy
Roussel - Faksa - Eakin
Dickinson - Shore - Guy

Hamhuis - Klingberg
Guy - Johns
2 of: Oleksiak/Jordie/Nemeth/Lindell

With 23M to spend on 3 forward slots and 1 defense position, I'm pretty sure the organization can solve it. Cracknell is an early contender to return. Sharp and Hemsky would be welcomed back if they were willing to take discounts.

Korpikoski and Eaves aren't big losses. We can't quantify what Hudler is.

Faksa and Janmark deserve slight raises.

Gemel Smith likely gets re-signed. Curtis McKenzie can bid farewell to his friends.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We are hurting for right handed forwards in our system though. Jesus christ. It's a shame Brett Ritchie isn't a good option.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Good Lord, hadn't thought about next year.

2015-6 - Win Western Conference

2016-7 -

Trade out 3 D from final core
Trade out 3 FW from final core to start.
Exchange 3-4 more due to injury/trade/defection (Nuke, Scevior, Fids, Moen).

2017-8-

Trade out 1 D from final core (Oduya)
Trade out 6 FW from final core due to UFA - Sharp, Hemsky, Hudler, Eaves, Korpikoski, Cracknell.

Goalies no longer under contract. Who knows?

In one year time, we trade out 9 of 23. The next year another potential of 7-9 for a total turnover of 18 of 23, or about 66% of the team that played so well......

Kind of makes me wonder if we are really on any sort of nearly guaranteed upward trend? Every team needs to build chemistry. Presumably, its easier if most of your core sticks around, but that doesn't look like it can happen. Even at the low end of the numbers, we are changing out half the team or more.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Nichushkin has an out-clause in the summer.

Roster skeleton looks like this:

Benn - Seguin - Guy
Janmark - Spezza - Guy
Roussel - Faksa - Eakin
Dickinson - Shore - Guy

Hamhuis - Klingberg
Guy - Johns
2 of: Oleksiak/Jordie/Nemeth/Lindell

With 23M to spend on 3 forward slots and 1 defense position, I'm pretty sure the organization can solve it. Cracknell is an early contender to return. Sharp and Hemsky would be welcomed back if they were willing to take discounts.

Korpikoski and Eaves aren't big losses. We can't quantify what Hudler is.

Faksa and Janmark deserve slight raises.

Gemel Smith likely gets re-signed. Curtis McKenzie can bid farewell to his friends.

Don't forget someone is getting claimed by Vegas

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Kind of makes me wonder if we are really on any sort of nearly guaranteed upward trend? Every team needs to build chemistry. Presumably, its easier if most of your core sticks around, but that doesn't look like it can happen. Even at the low end of the numbers, we are changing out half the team or more.

I don't think we're on an upward trend at all. At best I think we're in a holding pattern, and that was prior to all the speed bumps.

Daniel M

Dec 2, 2014
The fact that some of us are entertaining letting Klingberg go hurts me to the core.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
"Any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep."

But nevertheless

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart."

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
"Any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep."

But nevertheless

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart."

wow these are beautiful words..... and they all damn true

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Vegas can have Lindell or Johns. I wouldn't miss either of them.

I'd rather not lose Johns, he's what we had hoped Oleksiak would be when we drafted him.

Big, physical, skates really well, rushes the puck...that's a rare combination.

Lindell...yeah, I could lose him and be fine.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I'd hate to see Johns go, he hasn't even played a full season yet. Lindell meh also. I think we'll lose a forward anyways. Maybe Eakin

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
im probably being too harsh on Johns [who has looked good thus far]

but Lindell hasn't shown much at the NHL level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad