WJC: 2016 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Canadians care, because it lets them **** on the US before the tournament starts.

Not bashing the US. Having watched him play here in the QMJHL I'm just legitimately confused. If Garland was Canadian and was not even invited it would be a huge story up here. I can only guess they felt he was not a team player.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not bashing the US. Having watched him play here in the QMJHL I'm just legitimately confused. If Garland was Canadian and was not even invited it would be a huge story up here. I can only guess they felt he was not a team player.

I apologize, I was not picking on you specifically. But there have been a dozen Canadians in this thread posting nothing but "lol stupid USA didn't pick Garland because CHL!!1, I can't believe they didn't invite Bracco, what a mistake they are biased against Leafs, they must be absolute morons not to invite Tuch" and it's put my tolerance for them at a minimum.

To answer your question no one really knows exactly why Garland wasn't invited, but I imagine they decided that they had room for one small skilled scoring forward, and the one they picked, out of Garland, DeBrincat, and Bracco, was DeBrincat.

You can argue back and fourth whether or not that's a smart policy, but I'm sick of seeing that argument. I happen to think Garland should have been invited just to see if he could earn a spot, but what's done is done.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I wasn't comparing the two in the chemistry department, was just using it as an example of why USA may have started their camp a little later. Don't really need the extra week to gel certain players. And yeah I agree, this is my favorite tournament in hockey.

Most of the US team are NCAA players. They all had to finish classes and take final exams. I'm 95% sure that's why camp starts a week or so later than most other teams.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I apologize, I was not picking on you specifically. But there have been a dozen Canadians in this thread posting nothing but "lol stupid USA didn't pick Garland because CHL!!1, I can't believe they didn't invite Bracco, what a mistake they are biased against Leafs, they must be absolute morons not to invite Tuch" and it's put my tolerance for them at a minimum.

To answer your question no one really knows exactly why Garland wasn't invited, but I imagine they decided that they had room for one small skilled scoring forward, and the one they picked, out of Garland, DeBrincat, and Bracco, was DeBrincat.

You can argue back and fourth whether or not that's a smart policy, but I'm sick of seeing that argument. I happen to think Garland should have been invited just to see if he could earn a spot, but what's done is done.

It seems like a fairly arbitrary position to take. The last time they took two small skilled guys they won the tournament (Gaudreau and Grimaldi).

That's not to say I think Garland should have made this team. At least not over Connor or Roslovic.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Has any World Junior squad for any country ever had so much top end NHL Draft eligible talent? Incredible that the line of Tkachuk-Matthews-DeBrincat could be the best line in the tournament and all are '16 draft eligible!

Any word on when the final cuts will be made? Looking on IIHF site still 1F & 1D to be cut I believe?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Has any World Junior squad for any country ever had so much top end NHL Draft eligible talent? Incredible that the line of Tkachuk-Matthews-DeBrincat could be the best line in the tournament and all are '16 draft eligible!

Any word on when the final cuts will be made? Looking on IIHF site still 1F & 1D to be cut I believe?

I would imagine one of Hitchcock, Bjork, and Donato is gone - I am hoping Hitchcock as the other two just fit better IMO..

The defenseman that should be gone is Collins. If Tuch doesn't get an invite for poor showing and season why the hell is this pylon here??

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What's the cut team look like?
I think they would battle to a 2-1 win over this team. :P

Kyle Connor - Jack Roslovic - Alex Tuch
Dennis Yan - Dominic Turgeon - Conor Garland
Kieffer Bellows - Kailer Yamamoto - Jeremy Bracco
Christian Fischer - Tommy Novak - Luke Kunin
Brendan Warren/Max Jones

Caleb Jones - Jack Dougherty
Josh Jacobs - Cam Dineen
Ben Gleason - Aaron Haydon
Josh Wesley/Casey Fitzgerald

Tyler Parsons

Pretty weak at center, but definitely strong on the wing. I might have missed a few names here, but defense is thin so had to go with younger guys like Dineen and Gleason for upside... Bittner is hurt.

team would be competitive no doubt with that forward group, but Parsons would have to stand on his head most nights with that defense in front of him.

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Christian Fischer - Tommy Novak - Jordan Greenway
Brendan Warren

Josh Jacobs - Cam Dineen

Tyler Parsons

Pretty weak at center, but definitely strong on the wing. I might have missed a few names here, but defense is thin so had to go with younger guys like Dineen and Gleason for upside... Bittner is hurt.

team would be competitive no doubt with that forward group, but Parsons would have to stand on his head most nights with that defense in front of him.
Damn! Pretty stacked forward unit for a team of cuts!

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Haven't been following team USA as much as I should. Can't believe Connor didn't make it.

Any ideas on the lines?

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Christian Fischer - Tommy Novak - Jordan Greenway
Brendan Warren

Josh Jacobs - Cam Dineen

Tyler Parsons

Woah, are they ever stacked on the wing.
I would probably add M.Jones and JJ.Piccinich.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Garland 100% should be there.And I am born in NewYork so not Canadian.The kid is a scoring machine for pts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad