Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v54) ALDS Gm4: @ TEX | Mon Oct 12 | 4pm ET/1pm PT | Dickey vs Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
you know, i'm kinda glad price isn't pitching game 5. if i was gibby i'd go with stroman even if price was ready, which kinda tells me maybe that's why gibby put in price today so he doesn't face controversy when game 5 comes and he goes for stroman over price

I think he has the same amount of confidence in both...if both were completely rested I think Price gets the nod in game 5 with Stroman backing him up. However, I think the Cecil injury played a huge role in this as they needed that good LHP out of the pen...if Stroman was a LHP and Price a RHP I bet Stroman goes in today. Not to mention Price has the experience of coming out of the 'pen in the playoffs.

I think Gibbons felt (probably correctly) that RHP Stroman starting game 5 + LHP Price coming out of the pen in game 4 >>>> RHP Stroman coming out of the pen today + LHP Price starting game 5.

The fact that Price even pitched today is a whole other argument...but what's done is done now. All I am saying is that if Gibbons was dead set on using one of Stroman or Price today, I think Price was the smarter choice.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think it was more about getting work in. They know Texas has his number and have his whole career so knew they wanted Stroman for game 5 and Price potentially game 1 next series. He hasn't pitched much lately so it's good he gets a few innings in.

They were getting Price on-schedule for the ALCS.

Gibby can't say that because it would be far too arrogant. Seal the game. Start Stroman in Game 5. Start from the top of the rotation in the ALCS.

I think that is their plan, and I like it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think he has the same amount of confidence in both...if both were completely rested I think Price gets the nod. However, I think the Cecil injury played a huge role in this as they needed that good LHP out of the pen...if Stroman was a LHP and Price a RHP I bet Stroman goes in today. Not to mention Price has the experience of coming out of the 'pen in the playoffs.

I think Gibbons felt (probably correctly) that RHP Stroman starting game 5 + LHP Price coming out of the pen in game 4 >>>> RHP Stroman coming out of the pen today + LHP Price starting game 5.

The fact that Price even pitched today is a whole other argument...but what's done is done now. All I am saying is that if Gibbons was dead set on using one of Stroman or Price today, I think Price was the smarter choice.

Agreed on all counts.

That being said, I would have been just as comfortable leaving Dickey in a bit longer and letting the bullpen bring it home in order to save both Stroman and Price for game 5. I do understand that it would have created a controversy regarding the starter for game 5 though, so I respect Gibby's decision.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If we start Stroman in game 5, which seems almost guaranteed, and we win, we can afford to rest him a bit in the ALCS before starting him again. Price and Estrada make more sense for the Friday/Saturday games instead of starting Stroman on two or three days rest.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If we start Stroman in game 5, which seems almost guaranteed, and we win, we can afford to rest him a bit in the ALCS before starting him again. Price and Estrada make more sense for the Friday/Saturday games instead of starting Stroman on two or three days rest.

Well if Toronto wins game 5 there is no way Stroman pitches before game 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad