Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v51) ALDS Gm2: vs TEX | Fri Oct 9 | 12:30ET/9:30PT | Hamels vs Stroman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Are you? He's got a 102 wRC+ with Jays, and has yet to hit (at any point in his career) for a league-average wRC+ over the course of an entire season.

You do know that stat favours power hitters and players with high slugging percentage don't you? Why don't you compare Revere's numbers vs other lead off hitters around the league and get back to me. I'll wait

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
You do know that stat favours power hitters and players with high slugging percentage don't you? Why don't you compare Revere's numbers vs other lead off hitters around the league and get back to me. I'll wait

Hitting for power is a part of hitting. All Revere can do is hit weak singles that he beats out because of his legs. He doesn't walk, has no power, and isn't good defensively. There is more to hitting than just hitting the baseball...

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
This was so hard to take. The cumulative failures of the Raps, Leafs and Jays weigh heavy on me. It doesn't make any sense, because the sports are unrelated but having the big 3 flounder is gutwrenching. I'm pretty depressed.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

Honestly, imo, Gibbons screwed up when (if) he didn't call for a hit and run when Cola had the leadoff single and Pompey ran for him. There was no one out, only 1 run needed, speed on first. I get not bunting with Martin (IIRC), but he's a guy with pretty good bat control and could have put it on the ground at least. And if he didn't make contact, then you give Pompey a shot at stealing 2nd.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

And I don't think there's very many players in the league, let alone at the top of the lineup with a lower iso than Revere.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

and? Revere is good at hitting weak singles. there's more to hitting than that. It's why he has an empty batting average.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
man that was like one long prolonged death.

we just can't shake these guys.

we just don't have it. extremely disappointing.

we just dropped both at home with our best two pitches on the mound. I mean, damn.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Their luck? Jays lost both games for themselves with costly errors and poor pitching yesterday.

And incredibly poor batting approaches/patience. It's so frustrating to have watched because you know they're actually quite a patient team at the plate and then you constantly see the off balance hacks at outer edge pitches, swinging over the diving hooks, and the pathetic contact on inside pitches. They just haven't gone up with a plan or their nerves are causing them to choke hard.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Tulo has no control where he's batting. It's unfair to blame him for that...

Completely agree, but right now whether it's his fault or not his batting performance is costing this team when it matters most. I hope a days rest will help him and he has a good game Sunday.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
A .300 hitter who can't take walks. And a .300 hitter who pre-dominantly hits singles. Not a good hitter. A good hitter has a .350-400 OBP with many, many HRs and doubles.

You sure you're some stats wizard? 60 MLB players had a OBP @ .350 or higher this season. 60. That's 2 per team. Ben Revere has a .354 OBP as a Jay. Can't take a walk you say?

Last edited by a moderator:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
This was so hard to take. The cumulative failures of the Raps, Leafs and Jays weigh heavy on me. It doesn't make any sense, because the sports are unrelated but having the big 3 flounder is gutwrenching. I'm pretty depressed.

This. Come playoff time we all get so hyped and never get anything done.

This is tough, tough to swallow

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Less pressure in Texas? Am I the only one thinking this?

I don't think it's over. Both games have been close but Rangers are stroking their luck.

The thing is, with the 2 game lead, they won't feel big pressure to close it out. If anything there will still be pressure on us to win away and stay alive.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You sure you're some stats wizard? 60 MLB players had a OBP @ .350 or higher this season. 60. That's 2 per team. Ben Revere has a .354 OBP as a Jay. Can't take a walk you say? we know nothing you say? stay humble my friend.

How many people walk less than him? How many people have a lower ISO than him? But my singles! 180 hits!

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
This team collectively lost their drive after the clinching game. I know it means little, but we should be playing the Astro's right now (and losing to them as well probably lol).

Trouba95*

EE just missed the game winner. That was the most depressing part of this game.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Hitting for power is a part of hitting. All Revere can do is hit weak singles that he beats out because of his legs. He doesn't walk, has no power, and isn't good defensively. There is more to hitting than just hitting the baseball...
He is a LEADOFF hitter let him get all the weak singles he can as long as he gets on base.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yeah. Edwin was about 5 feet short, there was a couple screaming down the RF fence that were foul, but the top of the order simply hasn't performed.

This is why a 5 game series is such a crapshoot -- bats go cold at the wrong time after being the best in the league for 162 games and it doesn't matter.

Which is why I think a 5 game series is a complete joke. The better teams lose 3-game series' all the time against much worse teams during the regular season. It's the nature of baseball more than any other sport where players will go cold to a greater degree and for longer, typically, than top players of the NBA or NHL. While top NHL players, for example, may got 2 or 3 games without a point at most, typically, it's not unusual for the best MLB players to go for stretches like 2 for 28 over 5 games. That's why I think a 7, or even 9 game series is much more sensible with the very nature of the sport. This way, the better team will win more often than a short 5 game series. No guarantee, but I think it's the better way to go. A 5 game series is just way too short, and IMO really doesn't prove much regarding who is the better team; it just shows who was hotter at the time. A 7 or 9 game series doesn't completely fix the problem, but it alleviates it to a degree, IMO, which should only be seen as a good thing and something desirable if the league really cares about the best teams winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad