Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Hwales

Oct 12, 2014
For me it's mostly the same as well. I watched some of the Q prospects on a promotional video stream that has since ended. I will watch whatever games I can, but a lot of my info is via word of mouth, scouting reports, and gut instinct as well. This year looks to be absolutely stacked with Dmen producing at PPGish ticks. I'm sure a lot of them will cool off, but I think if there is any opportunity to nab a #1 D, this year is as good a shot as your gonna get to steal one with a mid-late 1st Rounder. It's gonna a chore to sort through. Deep, deep draft this year. Should be fun!

Of the guys in the Q that I was able to watch (including Schweri, Svechnikov, Nicolas Roy, Zboril, Chlapik, and some others), Jeremy Roy stood out the most. Smart, smart, slick skating, great passing D. Hockey IQ all the way. I think he's gonna be a stud. Top pairing NHLer written all over him. I think he could turn into a #1 D.

I haven't been able to properly have a look at Jeremy Roy yet. I've noticed people being quite high on him. I do like the look, though I haven't properly researched them yet, of Svechnikov, Zboril and Chlapik.

There are a couple of interesting defensemen in the first round. Mostly forwards in that top ten at the moment though. I think things are going to end up being very fluid in terms of rankings and positioning by just before the draft. (More so than usual)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I haven't been able to properly have a look at Jeremy Roy yet. I've noticed people being quite high on him. I do like the look, though I haven't properly researched them yet, of Svechnikov, Zboril and Chlapik.

There are a couple of interesting defensemen in the first round. Mostly forwards in that top ten at the moment though. I think things are going to end up being very fluid in terms of rankings and positioning by just before the draft. (More so than usual)

Svechnikov was kinda hit or miss in the games I saw him, but it was obvious that he has a lot of upside. Even throws his body at people. Skilled power forward. Big guy, skating was pretty good, good puckhandling. I'm not sure the effort is always there, but when he turns the volume up, watch out.

Zboril is a guy that Satan likes a lot. He said Zboril was his second favorite Dman in the Q behind Roy. He doesn't think the gap between the two is that big. I didn't see him playing very many minutes in the couple games I was looking for him...I think he might be on one of the lower pairings. 11 pts through 19 games if in fact he doesn't usually play that many minutes is intriguing. He's also got a little bit of nasty in his game...I saw him massaging the head and neck of a player to free himself from a player who was on the ice tangled up in Zboril's skates.

Chlapik is a solid playmaking center from what I saw. Not flashy, but effective. Your eyes tend to gravitate to Sprong because Sprong is faster and more dynamic ...I believe they're usually on the same line. Chlapik has quitely put up slightly better numbers than Sprong despite that. Good all-round Center, but not really a dazzler.

Last edited:

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Strome is basically in a race with Hanafin as far as 3rd/4th overall selection right? Is he obviously much better than the rest of the centers in this draft?

Hwales

Oct 12, 2014
Strome is basically in a race with Hanafin as far as 3rd/4th overall selection right? Is he obviously much better than the rest of the centers in this draft?

I don't know. I'm slightly uneasy on Strome because (I'm pretty sure) he plays with McDavid a lot. That will influence his points total and his overall game. How he handles McDavid being out I think will make up some minds about where he goes.

In terms of others you've got Pavel Zacha and maybe Mathew Barzal/Mitch Marner. I think if Strome struggles without McDavid then Zacha might overtake him and fight Hanifin for 3rd/4th.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
How he handles McDavid being out I think will make up some minds about where he goes.

Yes. I think #3 is still pretty much up for grabs. Hanifin is the odds on favorite. The world Juniors will help to sort out some of the mess.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Since I'm too busy to compile a ranked list, here's a quick tiered list from the top of my head.

Connor McDavid - Tier #1
Jack Eichel - Tier #2

Noah Hanifin, Dylan Strome and Oliver Kylington - Tier #3

Mitch Marner, Pavel Zacha, Matt Barzal, Daniel Sprong, Travis Konecny, Jeremy Roy - Tier #4

H.M. Evgeni Svechnikov

If I were to pick two from Tier #4 to compete with the "top 5", Mitch Marner and Daniel Sprong are my favorites right now.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't think Strome is much better than Zacha, but as a poster said above- it'll be interesting to see how he performs sans-McDavid.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Anybody here watched Dmytro Timashov play? Looks a little on the small side but has impressive #'s In the Q and a cool name.

26GP
11G
31A
42PTS

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
He's been playing with Erne and Etchegary most of the season. Shifty small skilled forward- lots of fun to watch.

Won't be drafted by us though.

NukeJukes43

Since I'm too busy to compile a ranked list, here's a quick tiered list from the top of my head.

Connor McDavid - Tier #1
Jack Eichel - Tier #2

Noah Hanifin, Dylan Strome and Oliver Kylington - Tier #3

Mitch Marner, Pavel Zacha, Matt Barzal, Daniel Sprong, Travis Konecny, Jeremy Roy - Tier #4

H.M. Evgeni Svechnikov

If I were to pick two from Tier #4 to compete with the "top 5", Mitch Marner and Daniel Sprong are my favorites right now.

Surprised you didn't say Konecny for tier4 players that can compete with top 5. He's getting a lot of hype.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Out of curiosity ... and since Dallas might actually pick high enough that it could matter ... who are some guys other than McDavid that could potentially play in the NHL right away?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Out of curiosity ... and since Dallas might actually pick high enough that it could matter ... who are some guys other than McDavid that could potentially play in the NHL right away?

Eichel, Hanifin and Zacha come to mind immediately. Crouse is large and skilled enough to play with the big boys too.

Barzal and Marner are quite small so I think teams would be hesitant.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So hypothetically ... if Dallas picked 6 to 10 and landed Zacha, in your opinion would he start with Dallas? Maybe on the wing like Seguin did with Boston?

I've been wanting to watch a Sarnia game to try and check him out. Really looking forward to the WJC see though as well to see how he does. Faksa never really could establish himself there. Want to see if Zacha can do well.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Marner would fit the first line like a glove. He's the winger Nill had in mind when he signed Hemsky. In my first post I talked about him and my concern regarding his goal scoring; the feeling is gone. Marner scores hat tricks as easy as he breathes now. Second highest hockey IQ in the draft IMO.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So hypothetically ... if Dallas picked 6 to 10 and landed Zacha, in your opinion would he start with Dallas? Maybe on the wing like Seguin did with Boston?

I've been wanting to watch a Sarnia game to try and check him out. Really looking forward to the WJC see though as well to see how he does. Faksa never really could establish himself there. Want to see if Zacha can do well.

I think only McDavid and Eichel are sure bets to go straight to the NHL. I think we'll likely have to be patient like usual for the pick to address our problems. I don't see McDavid or Eichel coming here.

Is the lottery still only for the #1 pick?...and then it goes by rank?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'm really starting to get a good feeling about this Zach Werenski kid. 10pts in 13GP so far. 6'2 190lbs. If we drafted at 7th OA (our current draft seed) he'd probably be right in our wheelhouse. There are a lot of good players to choose from top 15 this year. Gonna be a tough call.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
2015 Draft: Lottery pick is for #1 overall.
2016 Draft: Lottery picks determine top 3.

Damn. If only the 2016 format applied to this year. We'd have a way better chance at the big 3. Great news for Edmonton. I'm pretty tired of them hogging #1 picks and the sort.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was just curious about NHL readiness. I wasn't asking expecting them to find an immediate upgrade.

The D do sound interesting around where Dallas could pick. Kylington seems to bounce around between 5-15 as does Werenski from what I've seen.

Kylington's has a small falling out with FBK. GM said he demanded ice time and a move. Kylington says that's BS and Loob can think what he wants. He's now tearing it up for AIK in the Allsvenskan. It's crazy that last year he became the youngest player ever to score in the SHL. I seriously didn't think Dallas would ever have a shot at him.

The major downside to Kylington is Dallas just drafted Honka. They're so similar. I think you could say both compare favorably to Tobias Enstrom. As far as need goes, Werenski probably fits better with the true need, but what if his upside isn't as great?

Jury is still out on Nemeth (injury) and Oleksiak (but getting much better). If you were pretty confident though they were developing into serious core options, it might not be that big of an issue to have Klingberg, Honka, and Kylington on the same team.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I was just curious about NHL readiness. I wasn't asking expecting them to find an immediate upgrade.

The D do sound interesting around where Dallas could pick. Kylington seems to bounce around between 5-15 as does Werenski from what I've seen.

Kylington's has a small falling out with FBK. GM said he demanded ice time and a move. Kylington says that's BS and Loob can think what he wants. He's now tearing it up for AIK in the Allsvenskan. It's crazy that last year he became the youngest player ever to score in the SHL. I seriously didn't think Dallas would ever have a shot at him.

The major downside to Kylington is Dallas just drafted Honka. They're so similar. I think you could say both compare favorably to Tobias Enstrom. As far as need goes, Werenski probably fits better with the true need, but what if his upside isn't as great?

Jury is still out on Nemeth (injury) and Oleksiak (but getting much better). If you were pretty confident though they were developing into serious core options, it might not be that big of an issue to have Klingberg, Honka, and Kylington on the same team.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Honka and Klingberg seem similar to the D at the top of this draft. Redundant for us right now. You don't want to draft based on need, but it would have been nice if there was someone more along the lines of a Pronger-ish type in this draft...with a physical game. Someone who could better compliment our young ODs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad