Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Sean Day is so overrated. He's big and he skates and that's the sum total of his game. Ugh, no. I'm down on being bad this year, the team is trying it's hardest to earn a top five pick but I'm not down on following that up with the same in 2016. I don't want to be Edmonton.

Coming from someone who's viewed him how many times?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Well you may want to do yourself a favour and get an update on Day before you rush to conclusions rather than having a pêle-mêle of opinions formed into "yours".

If you've watched him play at all this year, you would know that he has progressed very well compared to last year. No longer looks hesitant out there like he did in his under-age year and his positioning in his own end has improved.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
"Wtf is wrong with me?" Wtf is wrong with you? First off we're never gonna get McDavid so chill...doesn't matter. But to humor the never-gonna-happen scenario of getting McDavid, did I say move Seguin the day we got McDavid? No. Use some common sense. If and when he could replace Seguin's production, you only have so much icetime and money to distribute to forwards. We need defense...direly. You take from a position of excess(we already have one of the best offenses in the league), and you make a team that can actually win a game or two by trading for some top-notch defenseman. You don't assemble a half-assed Olympic team of forwards with no D and average goaltending. We see where that strategy is getting us right now...right now. So you ask what the eff is wrong with me...I ask, WTF is wrong with you.
To be perfectly honest with you, even if we don't manage to snag a #1 D in a trade, free agency or draft, I'm confident our D will be much better over the next year or two simply via development from within. Once the likes of Oleksiak, Nemeth, Jokipakka, Klingberg and Honka start getting more experience and cementing themselves in the team, we will be much better. Not to mention some of the promising Euro's. Defense is actually the strength of our prospect pool. Perhaps there's no #1 D there, but there's more than enough to not need to jump on a dman in the draft, if he's not genuinely best available. Especially if we need to wait, and there's no immediate impact. To me the need is for a top line dman right now, the need will be less in a few years, which is what you get in the draft 99% of the time. A player for a few years down the line.

And you'd take either McDavid or Eichel over any dman in this draft without even thinking twice.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Realistically, Dallas will probably end up in the playoffs mix, either loses in 1st round or the 2nd round.

The worst is that mediocre position in the middle. I've experienced this in Ottawa, but it's not fun. Takes 2-3 years of development to be even considered as a full-fledged NHLer. The only exception when Ottawa did good in that position was when they drafted Karlsson...but again, their were already talks that he was the most skilled defensemen in that draft (size was the issue back than with him).

And no, we will not get the 1st or 2nd overall pick in the draft:laugh:

It would be exciting, but at the same time, would be extremely disappointed with the organization and the players if that actually happens.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
To be perfectly honest with you, even if we don't manage to snag a #1 D in a trade, free agency or draft, I'm confident our D will be much better over the next year or two simply via development from within. Once the likes of Oleksiak, Nemeth, Jokipakka, Klingberg and Honka start getting more experience and cementing themselves in the team, we will be much better. Not to mention some of the promising Euro's. Defense is actually the strength of our prospect pool. Perhaps there's no #1 D there, but there's more than enough to not need to jump on a dman in the draft, if he's not genuinely best available. Especially if we need to wait, and there's no immediate impact. To me the need is for a top line dman right now, the need will be less in a few years, which is what you get in the draft 99% of the time. A player for a few years down the line.

And you'd take either McDavid or Eichel over any dman in this draft without even thinking twice.

You and I have exactly the same sentiment. BPA for sure.

I think it's very unlikely we get either of the big two (Eichel or McDavid) we just don't seem to ever be at that level of bad. There is a good chance that the BPA is a D though and I think some might be NHL ready or very close. I think someone like Kylington, who has played in the SEL since he was 16 and outproduced the likes of Hedman and Larsson in their comparable years could be NHL-ready now. Other interesting options depending on where we finish are obviously Hanifin, but I doubt he's still on the board, Jeremy Roy, Ryan Pilon, and Werenski. There's a lot more D in this draft than last years. I am hoping that the BPA is a D that can step in soon when it's our turn to pick, but I know it's a loooong shot.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

It would be exciting, but at the same time, would be extremely disappointed with the organization and the players if that actually happens.

Typically a successful rebuild includes going through the pains of taking some top 5 picks. Not to say that it always works (see Edmonton and Columbus), but that's typically part of the rebuilding process. We luckily skipped needing some of those draft picks in getting Seguin via trade and Benn in the 5th round. We still could benefit from from another blue-chipper or two.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Realistically, Dallas will probably end up in the playoffs mix, either loses in 1st round or the 2nd round.

The worst is that mediocre position in the middle. I've experienced this in Ottawa, but it's not fun. Takes 2-3 years of development to be even considered as a full-fledged NHLer. The only exception when Ottawa did good in that position was when they drafted Karlsson...but again, their were already talks that he was the most skilled defensemen in that draft (size was the issue back than with him).

Do you know anything about this organization? We know all about picking after #10.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Typically a successful rebuild includes going through the pains of taking some top 5 picks. Not to say that it always works (see Edmonton and Columbus), but that's typically part of the rebuilding process. We luckily skipped needing some of those draft picks in getting Seguin via trade and Benn in the 5th round. We still could benefit from from another blue-chipper or two.

I really don't want the team to give up and go full tank mode (I don't mind some of those low tier teams doing it, but Dallas is certainly not one of them).

I'm pretty sure even if this team ended up getting mid/early low tier picks in the 1st round, we will get a pretty decent prospect knowing how deep the draft is this season.

But this whole McDavid/Eichel thing is just never going to happen in Dallas, cause this team is too good to be THAT low in the draft.

Hwales

Oct 12, 2014
I was looking through a list of prospects I have made to keep an eye on for this draft and I noticed Rasmus Andersson.

I was hoping that if anyone who watches OHL games has seen him play before could tell me their thoughts. He's a 6'0" 210lbs RD with the Barrie Colts. He intrigued me because he spent two years playing in the Allsvenska for Malmo before he joined the Colts. Playing in an adult league at 15-17 is quite impressive.

Thanks!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I was looking through a list of prospects I have made to keep an eye on for this draft and I noticed Rasmus Andersson.

I was hoping that if anyone who watches OHL games has seen him play before could tell me their thoughts. He's a 6'0" 210lbs RD with the Barrie Colts. He intrigued me because he spent two years playing in the Allsvenska for Malmo before he joined the Colts. Playing in an adult league at 15-17 is quite impressive.

Thanks!

I want to preface this by saying I haven't seen him myself. He was highly touted coming into his draft season, but from others' accounts has failed to impress so far. Maybe adjusting to the NA style of game?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I just think everybody expected him to step into a North American lineup and be Ekblad 2.0, which he very well could be soon, but hasn't been thus far.

Hwales

Oct 12, 2014
Thanks,

I didn't realise he had Ekblad comparisons. Not completely shocking in that case if he has under performed if those were the expectations.

Numbers wise he doesn't seem too bad, especially for a rookie in his first year in NA. 14 points through 18 games as a defenseman, six more than the next defenseman. Top point scoring defenseman for Barrie, 9th in the OHL.

Doesn't show the other things which aren't recorded on a stats sheet though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Thanks,

I didn't realise he had Ekblad comparisons. Not completely shocking in that case if he has under performed if those were the expectations.

Numbers wise he doesn't seem too bad, especially for a rookie in his first year in NA. 14 points through 18 games as a defenseman, six more than the next defenseman. Top point scoring defenseman for Barrie, 9th in the OHL.

Doesn't show the other things which aren't recorded on a stats sheet though.

Do you have any early favorites for this year's draft?

Outside of McDavid and Eichel of course.

Hwales

Oct 12, 2014
Do you have any early favorites for this year's draft?

Outside of McDavid and Eichel of course.

I have quite a few. Some guys who are more longshots and are going to be drafted well after the first round. But I had a look around and they just sprung out at me.

In no particular order some that come to mind:

Zach Werenski (NCAA), Noah Juulsen (WHL), Mitchell Vande Sompel (OHL), Gustaf Franzen (OHL) Daniel Sprong (QMJHL), Yakov Trenin (QMJHL), Erik Foley (USHL), Filip Ahl (SWE), Joel Ek Eriksson (SWE), Kevin Stenlund (SWE), Jens Looke (SWE)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I have quite a few. Some guys who are more longshots and are going to be drafted well after the first round. But I had a look around and they just sprung out at me.

In no particular order some that come to mind:

Zach Werenski (NCAA), Noah Juulsen (WHL), Mitchell Vande Sompel (OHL), Gustaf Franzen (OHL) Daniel Sprong (QMJHL), Yakov Trenin (QMJHL), Erik Foley (USHL), Filip Ahl (SWE), Joel Ek Eriksson (SWE), Kevin Stenlund (SWE), Jens Looke (SWE)

Outside of Ahl, Werenski, and Sprong, are any of these guys potential 1st and 2nd Rounders?

Have you gotten to see any of them play?

I did see Sprong play a handful of times. Very dangerous. He can really skate. His puckhandling looked pretty good. I saw him put a fairly powerful looking deke on that resulted in not much, but still glimpses of his potential. His shot is pro-level or close to it...very good realease, hard, and accurate. I've heard that he might have some attitude issues...something to watch out for as the season chugs along and we begin to stack-rank these guys.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Looks like McDavid's out for a while. Fractured hand.

Yikes. :help:

Hope he sees a full recovery!

EDIT: Hurt it in a fight. Of all the ways to cripple your chances as the top dog going into the draft.....

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
McDavid getting hurt won't damage his draft stock no matter how badly it is.

He is #1 and Eichel is #2.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Unless Eichel shatters college records, I think Connor has the #1 spot on lock.

The only issue would be if McDavid somehow ends up with medical issues to the point where teams are worried he'll never play again due to some problem with his hand. Otherwise yeah he's a lock. Not that Eichel going #2 is anything to be ashamed of.

Hwales

Oct 12, 2014
Outside of Ahl, Werenski, and Sprong, are any of these guys potential 1st and 2nd Rounders?

Have you gotten to see any of them play?

Well, I live in the UK so seeing these guys is quite hard. A couple of late night watching plus a few of the Swedes game when I get the time. I just read up on what I can find, look at highlights, general statistics/measurements and gut feeling. Some years I've been pretty accurate in who the Stars have gone for.

I'd probably say that Mitchell Vande Sompel, Erik Foley and Jens Looke could go in the first 60. The others at the moment look like they'll be later than that. But its far too early to know for sure.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Well, I live in the UK so seeing these guys is quite hard. A couple of late night watching plus a few of the Swedes game when I get the time. I just read up on what I can find, look at highlights, general statistics/measurements and gut feeling. Some years I've been pretty accurate in who the Stars have gone for.

I'd probably say that Mitchell Vande Sompel, Erik Foley and Jens Looke could go in the first 60. The others at the moment look like they'll be later than that. But its far too early to know for sure.

For me it's mostly the same as well. I watched some of the Q prospects on a promotional video stream that has since ended. I will watch whatever games I can, but a lot of my info is via word of mouth, scouting reports, and gut instinct as well. This year looks to be absolutely stacked with Dmen producing at PPGish ticks. I'm sure a lot of them will cool off, but I think if there is any opportunity to nab a #1 D, this year is as good a shot as your gonna get to steal one with a mid-late 1st Rounder. It's gonna a chore to sort through. Deep, deep draft this year. Should be fun!

Of the guys in the Q that I was able to watch (including Schweri, Svechnikov, Nicolas Roy, Zboril, Chlapik, and some others), Jeremy Roy stood out the most. Smart, smart, slick skating, great passing D. Hockey IQ all the way. I think he's gonna be a stud. Top pairing NHLer written all over him. I think he could turn into a #1 D.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad