2015 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Another PWF that makes the 2015 1st round equal or better than the 2013 in depth of quality prospects, most of which will be NHLers IMHO. Greenway's already humongous dimensions 6'4" - 218 lbs. and growing along with his productions offensively, just a very big reason the USNTDP's entry for the 2015 WJHC's will be hard to beat, with or without the Habs Mike McCarron.

Any NHL team without PWF's like these in their lineups in the future stand very little chance of competing. With the pounding that these players can take and dish out smaller players stamina will be pushed to their limits in the SC Playoffs. This is more apparent in the WJC's each progressive season, this year size will matter more than ever IMHO.:nod:

“Shorter players may perform better for a longer period of time due to experiencing less strain on impact and less wear and tear on their joints,” noted Philippe Renaud, a biomechanics researcher at McGill’s Ice Hockey Research Group. Renaud added that the laws of physics suggest the shoulders, hips, knees and ankles of a player such as Francis Bouillon, who is 5’8”, receive much less torsional amplitudes as those of a player standing at 6’6”. Not only do taller players put more stress on their bodies while pivoting and braking, but the longer length of their limbs also puts them at greater risk for a catastrophic injury while making an open-ice check or taking a hit along the boards.

“I’ve never thought about whether height has anything to do with getting hurt more often or not, to be honest,” offered Mike Weaver, who was on the receiving end of 49 hits in the 2014 playoffs but came out no worse for wear. “But when I played in Atlanta, my defense partner [Andy Sutton] was six-foot-six, and he had a lot of injury problems.”

Tellingly, Sutton never once completed a full 82-game schedule, while Weaver played consecutive 82-game seasons after the age of 32, a time when many of his former teammates were filing retirement papers.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=721759

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
“Shorter players may perform better for a longer period of time due to experiencing less strain on impact and less wear and tear on their joints,†noted Philippe Renaud, a biomechanics researcher at McGill’s Ice Hockey Research Group. Renaud added that the laws of physics suggest the shoulders, hips, knees and ankles of a player such as Francis Bouillon, who is 5’8â€, receive much less torsional amplitudes as those of a player standing at 6’6â€. Not only do taller players put more stress on their bodies while pivoting and braking, but the longer length of their limbs also puts them at greater risk for a catastrophic injury while making an open-ice check or taking a hit along the boards.

“I’ve never thought about whether height has anything to do with getting hurt more often or not, to be honest,†offered Mike Weaver, who was on the receiving end of 49 hits in the 2014 playoffs but came out no worse for wear. “But when I played in Atlanta, my defense partner [Andy Sutton] was six-foot-six, and he had a lot of injury problems.â€

Tellingly, Sutton never once completed a full 82-game schedule, while Weaver played consecutive 82-game seasons after the age of 32, a time when many of his former teammates were filing retirement papers.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=721759

Depends on the player and the conditioning. Chara is the tallest player in the NHL and plays at over 250 pounds yet he rarely misses time.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Depends on the player and the conditioning. Chara is the tallest player in the NHL and plays at over 250 pounds yet he rarely misses time.

You'll always find examples of big players who never get hurt and small ones who can't stay healthy. All I meant to point out was that the generally accepted premise that big players don't get hurt as much as small players is simply wrong. Same is true in other sports. Brandon Jacobs is one of the biggest running backs to play the game and can't stay healthy. Seven footers in basketball can't stay healthy either.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
You'll always find examples of big players who never get hurt and small ones who can't stay healthy. All I meant to point out was that the generally accepted premise that big players don't get hurt as much as small players is simply wrong. Same is true in other sports. Brandon Jacobs is one of the biggest running backs to play the game and can't stay healthy. Seven footers in basketball can't stay healthy either.

Your point is taken, but in regards to the team's that eventually win the Stanley Cup, it doesn't hold water. Constant pounding by opponents that are on average much bigger with the same training playing a disciplined system will wear their smaller opponents down. Especially when the series are seven games long and four series along with an 82 game regular season, and a pre-season with summer long workout schedules aimed at gaining muscle mass & stamina by most professional players any size. The long term is in favor of those players 6'2" & below 230 lbs. as has been proven for defencemen already, with these as parameters that scouts are aware of and look for size does matter, ask truthful women!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Jonas Seigenthaler a Swiss defender playing with men since 16 yrs.old stands 6'2" - 220 lbs. LD, plans to follow in the footsteps of Roman Josi on his way to being a LD for the Habs @ least that's my hope!:handclap: 2015 Entry Draft

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Your point is taken, but in regards to the team's that eventually win the Stanley Cup, it doesn't hold water. Constant pounding by opponents that are on average much bigger with the same training playing a disciplined system will wear their smaller opponents down. Especially when the series are seven games long and four series along with an 82 game regular season, and a pre-season with summer long workout schedules aimed at gaining muscle mass & stamina by most professional players any size. The long term is in favor of those players 6'2" & below 230 lbs. as has been proven for defencemen already, with these as parameters that scouts are aware of and look for size does matter, ask truthful women!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Chicago is one of the smallest team in the NHL, yet they held up just fine against teams like LA, St. Louis, Philly, Boston and so on to win the cup on two occasions. Stanley Cup champions alternate from big to small, from physical to non-physical teams over the years.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Chicago is one of the smallest team in the NHL, yet they held up just fine against teams like LA, St. Louis, Philly, Boston and so on to win the cup on two occasions. Stanley Cup champions alternate from big to small, from physical to non-physical teams over the years.

Even Chicago, go back and check the lineup in their 1st Stanley Cup, this year they didn't win LA Kings did.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Jonas Seigenthaler a Swiss defender playing with men since 16 yrs.old stands 6'2" - 220 lbs. LD, plans to follow in the footsteps of Roman Josi on his way to being a LD for the Habs @ least that's my hope!:handclap: 2015 Entry Draft

He is probably my favorite prospect in the 2015 draft. He will be a riser for sure. I know that it's a good draft but he is top-15 for sure, unless he is injured! He was so mature as a 16 years old. He is the total package, the perfect partner for Subban.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
He is probably my favorite prospect in the 2015 draft. He will be a riser for sure. I know that it's a good draft but he is top-15 for sure, unless he is injured! He was so mature as a 16 years old. He is the total package, the perfect partner for Subban.

Jonas is a good prospect, that is ranked in the top 70 for the 2015 Entry Draft, it shows why teams are trading 2016 2nd round picks and holding onto their 2015 draft picks like Gold, IMHO. He may yet jump up the rankings, but top 15 in this draft is high praise indeed, there are so many highly cherished forwards in next years draft. Many really good Dmen also, that are playing in NA already, that will get more exposure, I'm glad the Habs have such a great scouting staff here and abroad.

The 2015 Entry Draft may be the strongest in depth ever, a good year for the Habs to see how well their prospects will perform. Giving Bergevin time to evaluate the actual strength the Habs have at all positions, so their scouts can concentrate their efforts where the weaknesses are in the system. IMHO center and RD are positions that need to be shored up, but that may change depending upon the development of Nygren/Pateryn/Didier on RD, at center Bournival/JDLR both C/LW's could surprise during the upcoming season.

Best Player Available is a priority in the 1st round, in 2015 that could extend into the 3rd round, it would be nice to see our prospects exceed expectations. Allowing our scouts to draft the very BPA's to our system's depth, looking at how many 2013 prospects that are expected to play this season, the 2015 draft is very important to the Habs future.:nod: Add Center Kyle Connor of Youngstown (USHL) to those players the Habs might like too have, or newly signed Michigan Wolverine Dman Zach Werenski LD.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Some early picks for the Habs in the 2015 draft;

1st rd.- Mikko Rantanen - C/RW - 6'4" - PWF with full tool box
2nd rd - Rasmus Andersson - RHD - PMD 6'0 - 210 lbs.
3rd rd - Jonas Seigenthaler - RD - defensive Dman with some offence 6'2" - 220 lbs.
4th rd - Michael Spacek - RW - 5'10" 185 lbs.
5th rd - Denis Malgin - C/RW - 5'9" - 175 lbs.
5th rd - Sebastian Aho - LHD - 5'10" - 175 lbs. A little small for a Dman but with his leadership qualities and running a PP , he's a steal.
6th rd - Pavel Karnaukhov - LW - 6'3" - 205 lbs. PWF.
7th rd - Ivan Kashtanov - LW - 5'10" - 201 lbs.

This was an all European Draft for the Habs getting wingers/centers with skill & scoring, along with a couple of highly skilled Dmen. Of course there are many players from NA but I haven't got through checking them out yet, when I do this list will have a mix of both NA's & Euro's.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
How high is the possibility that Eichel catches up with Mcdavid and goes number one?

It'll depend on how fast his adjustment will be , playing with and against older guys at Boston U. From my viewings of both I'd say the overall skill level is very comparable, with Eichel being a better skater and having a bigger frame. Let's just say that the under 20 tourney will be extra interesting to watch this year !

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
It'll depend on how fast his adjustment will be , playing with and against older guys at Boston U. From my viewings of both I'd say the overall skill level is very comparable, with Eichel being a better skater and having a bigger frame. Let's just say that the under 20 tourney will be extra interesting to watch this year !
yep cant wait for the usa canada game in montreal

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Some early picks for the Habs in the 2015 draft;

1st rd.- Mikko Rantanen - C/RW - 6'4" - PWF with full tool box
2nd rd - Rasmus Andersson - RHD - PMD 6'0 - 210 lbs.
3rd rd - Jonas Seigenthaler - RD - defensive Dman with some offence 6'2" - 220 lbs.
4th rd - Michael Spacek - RW - 5'10" 185 lbs.
5th rd - Denis Malgin - C/RW - 5'9" - 175 lbs.
5th rd - Sebastian Aho - LHD - 5'10" - 175 lbs. A little small for a Dman but with his leadership qualities and running a PP , he's a steal.
6th rd - Pavel Karnaukhov - LW - 6'3" - 205 lbs. PWF.
7th rd - Ivan Kashtanov - LW - 5'10" - 201 lbs.

This was an all European Draft for the Habs getting wingers/centers with skill & scoring, along with a couple of highly skilled Dmen. Of course there are many players from NA but I haven't got through checking them out yet, when I do this list will have a mix of both NA's & Euro's.

Spacek was fun to watch at the U18 this Spring. Hopefully he'll grow a bit.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I was going over some of the players that are listed for the 2016 Entry Draft. I see that there are a couple of good Finnish forwards expected to become top 30. In that vein of thought, (Idealistic) Mikko Rantanen C/RW (2015) and Jesse Puljujarvi C could be two 1st round picks that might be BPA when the Habs pick. That's assuming the Habs are a playoff team each year. But having a Finnish line with two big fast skating talented players like Mikko & Jesse (two-way 200ft game) and Arturri Lehkonen (LW) the playmaking dynamo from Finland's Gold Medal team @ 2013 WJHC's, to come over in 3 - 4 yrs.,when Lehkonen's packed on about 20 lbs of muscle. Could be a very good Top Nine line, to join the Habs Stanley Cup runs.

With players like Rasmus Ristolainen, Joel Armia, Alex Barkov coming over from Finland during the next couple of years, they are producing some of the best talent that thrive in NA play and on the world stage. The Habs have great scouts in Europe & Russia, so I'm confident they are already aware of these players and we might nget lucky to draft them. Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
If you guys want to watch a scrimmage involving tons of interesting guys for the upcoming draft...here's the link.

Guys that are there:
Meloche, Brisebois, Strome, McCool, Roy, Beauvilier, Marner, McFadden, Noel, Barzal, Konecny etc.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/game/show/7950363?subseason=170528&referrer=1289366&referrer=1289366

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/roster/show/1289372?subseason=170528

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/roster/show/1289373?subseason=170528

Forgot Béliveau :sarcasm:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Forgot Béliveau :sarcasm:

:laugh: Yeah...and Mochie? Announcer tried hard to say Meloche at first.....and Béliveau....Was actually looking at every roster 'cause I had no idea who that guy is....to then realize he meant Beauvillier...or the red player as the other guy said.

What do you think of Tremblay?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
:laugh: Yeah...and Mochie? Announcer tried hard to say Meloche at first.....and Béliveau....Was actually looking at every roster 'cause I had no idea who that guy is....to then realize he meant Beauvillier...or the red player as the other guy said.

What do you think of Tremblay?

Nick Roy from Asmo Quebec

Having a strong game so far, that said, with his size, unlikely to get drafted. I liked Billia a lot better coming out of Midget AAA and he couldn't get drafted on an average to below average draft.

Liking Wotherspoon, comes as advertised so far. I'd like to see him matched with Meloche or Roy at the Hlinka. Could be a good complement to any of those 2.

and Béliveau scores lol!

Marner with some magic, good effort on that goal

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Nick Roy from Asmo Quebec

Having a strong game so far, that said, with his size, unlikely to get drafted. I liked Bilia a lot better coming out of Midget AAA and he couldn't get drafted on an average to below average draft.

Liking Wotherspoon, comes as advertised so far. I'd like to see him matched with Meloche or Roy at the Hlinka. Could be a good compliment to any of those 2.

and Béliveau scores lol!

Béliveau! :D

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Béliveau! :D

As I'm writing this, they finally got his name right :laugh:

Strong period by Beauvillier and Team Red, 21 shots. ... Maybe 14? Didn't hear right I guess. Anyways, strong period.

... so, who you liking so far?

... just saw Brisebois listed at 6'5 196 :whaaa?:

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
As I'm writing this, they finally got his name right :laugh:

Strong period by Beauvillier and Team Red, 21 shots.

... so, who you liking so far?

I came away with the same guy...Wotherspoon. Liked Beauvilier too. I'm a Meloche fan, yet, it's totally biased....I live in Lorraine...he's a Rosemère guy...:D And Marner...of course.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Very good period again for Beauvilier. I thought he could have done more as a rookie. That said, still led his team in scoring. Involved in the play, I like what I'm seeing tonight. Hope he keeps it up. Very talented kid.

How' bout reshuffling the sticks in the middle of the ice for the 3rd period?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Very good period again for Beauvilier. I thought he could have done more as a rookie. That said, still led his team in scoring. Involved in the play, I like what I'm seeing tonight. Hope he keeps it up. Very talented kid.

How' bout reshuffling the sticks in the middle of the ice for the 3rd period?

Undersized frame though, which may hurt him at the draft. A lot of teams have a certain bias against the stereotypical small Q forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad