2015 NHL Draft Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
This is a really dumb stance. You're the Wings, you've got the top 9 wings set for years to come. Our pick is up and the BPA is a wing. Next best player available is a RHD who is just a skosh below that winger. Do you take the winger? No, take the position of need if they are so close. Now if it's a large gap, then take the winger. Point is, to be so staunch on one situation or another is very very short sighted. It's always a fluid situation, it always...depends.

I agree with this, it all depends on the gap in skill between the two players. I think that's why they break prospects into tiers. If you have two guys in the same tier, it's acceptable to draft based on positional need. Now on the other hand if you have a winger who's in one tier and a defenseman in a lower tier, than yeah, go with the winger.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
This is a really dumb stance. You're the Wings, you've got the top 9 wings set for years to come. Our pick is up and the BPA is a wing. Next best player available is a RHD who is just a skosh below that winger. Do you take the winger? No, take the position of need if they are so close. Now if it's a large gap, then take the winger. Point is, to be so staunch on one situation or another is very very short sighted. It's always a fluid situation, it always...depends.

Agree, If they have the same potential, Say a carrer 2nd liner, And then the other one is a 2nd pair dman, You go for the Dman (because it's what we need)

Now if its a 1st liner, And it's a 2nd pair defender, You probably go with the 1st liner. cause He's on another level. at least potentially.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I'm curious how you come to conclusion that the "top 9 wings set for years to come"?

We have some great wing prospects, but only Nyquist, Abedlkader (can he sustain his accomplishments from last year?), and Tatar have proven to be capable top 9 wingers.

Additionally, (regardless of KH's history) there is always an option to ship a guy out for the coveted d position.

Meanwhile, if we assumed Jurco (with 11 goals in 100 games, this is a bold assumption), Mantha, Pulks all hit it as strong top 9 wingers. A guy like AA can focus his development as a Center (it is the position he played most of his life after all). And what happens if we can't afford all of these guys or injuries? having young, NHL ready talent is never a problem.

Lastly, as far as "really dumb stance" well... Its actually a VERY common viewpoint.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm curious how you come to conclusion that the "top 9 wings set for years to come"?

We have some great wing prospects, but only Nyquist, Abedlkader (can he sustain his accomplishments from last year?), and Tatar have proven to be capable top 9 wingers.

Additionally, (regardless of KH's history) there is always an option to ship a guy out for the coveted d position.

Meanwhile, if we assumed Jurco (with 11 goals in 100 games, this is a bold assumption), Mantha, Pulks all hit it as strong top 9 wingers. A guy like AA can focus his development as a Center (it is the position he played most of his life after all). And what happens if we can't afford all of these guys or injuries? having young, NHL ready talent is never a problem.

Lastly, as far as "really dumb stance" well... Its actually a VERY common viewpoint.

I am still looking for a team with an abundance of good defensemen that would be willing to trade one. There don't appear to be many.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I am still looking for a team with an abundance of good defensemen that would be willing to trade one. There don't appear to be many.

Meh, you can't account for the unexpected.

Teams aren't willing to trade 50 goal scorers, yet Heatley was Traded. Teams don't trade Calder winning Dmen, yet Myers was traded. Teams don't trade 40 goal scorers yet Neal and Nash were traded. Teams don't trade players picked top 2 within their first 3 years in the NHL yet Seguin was traded. Teams don't trade their Franchise player yet Kane was traded. Teams don't trade their Conn Smythe Caliber number 1 Dman yet Pronger was traded to Edmonton. Teams don't trade their 6'4 100 point scoring Center yet Thornton was traded.

Some were maligned, others werent. either way their are plenty of examples of "players you don't trade" being traded.

Oh and some dude named Gretzky. Think about how close this team was to trading away Yzerman. Then there is the time we acquired Chelios.

Honestly, its more likely That Holland doesn't have the balls to make the trade, than a it is for a #3 (or better) dman not being offered for a trade.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Meh, you can't account for the unexpected.

Teams aren't willing to trade 50 goal scorers, yet Heatley was Traded. Teams don't trade Calder winning Dmen, yet Myers was traded. Teams don't trade 40 goal scorers yet Neal and Nash were traded. Teams don't trade players picked top 2 within their first 3 years in the NHL yet Seguin was traded. Teams don't trade their Franchise player yet Kane was traded. Teams don't trade their Conn Smythe Caliber number 1 Dman yet Pronger was traded to Edmonton. Teams don't trade their 6'4 100 point scoring Center yet Thornton was traded.

Some were maligned, others werent. either way their are plenty of examples of "players you don't trade" being traded.

Oh and some dude named Gretzky. Think about how close this team was to trading away Yzerman. Then there is the time we acquired Chelios.

Honestly, its more likely That Holland doesn't have the balls to make the trade, than a it is for a #3 (or better) dman not being offered for a trade.

In my opinion it does not occur with enough frequency to be counted on as a reliable strategy. At every level of hockey there are always more good forwards than good defensemen.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
In my opinion it does not occur with enough frequency to be counted on as a reliable strategy. At every level of hockey there are always more good forwards than good defensemen.

Either way, the point is we shouldn't shy away from BPA just because he is a winger. Said player may end up better than all of current wingers/prospects, thus improving the team. Or he may allow a piece be traded for a center or dman. Players walk to free agency, our current prospects may not turn out as hoped, or injuries can happen. You take take the Best Player, regardless of what position he is, especially in the first round.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just saw some replies in the last draft thread, thanks guys. Wasnt familiar with Carlo but sounds like a later first/second round guy. Someone said I like big/tough players which is true and prefer that style but mostly I prefer the best players possible so thats who I want Detroit to draft.

Noah Juulsen is another big time riser late that I would like to see Detroit take. He may be available with a trade down of a few spots as well.

I would like to see Detroit get a dman that plays with some legit edge, that could also pan out and play top 4. Juulsen seems like that guy. Roy, Zboril or Meloche in a trade down seem alright as well

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was looking at some fights, and I almost want to draft Dennis Yan for the sole fact that he executed a perfect judo-esque leg sweep in a hockey fight.

Look at this **** at about :30. That is awesome! :handclap:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bob mackenzies draft rankings come out tomorrow night I believe, so thats something to keep a watch on. He usually polls about 10 different scouts (I think from different organizations) so I think that gives some good consensus of the draft.

I'm not sold on any of these centers I'm reading about (Havent watched them though, either) so I really hope they go with a dman

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Noah Juulsen is another big time riser late that I would like to see Detroit take. He may be available with a trade down of a few spots as well.

I would like to see Detroit get a dman that plays with some legit edge, that could also pan out and play top 4. Juulsen seems like that guy.

Yeah, I have been interested in Juulsen for quite a while. He's so well rounded and is a RHD on top of all that. I can't see anyone complaining if he's our first pick in the draft.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I have been interested in Juulsen for quite a while. He's so well rounded and is a RHD on top of all that. I can't see anyone complaining if he's our first pick in the draft.

He seems like a big riser the last bit of the season where I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up higher on NHL scout lists than he is on these scouting services and online sources. He seems like the type that is picking up some steam heading towards the draft but we'll see I guess.

He looks like he may be a bit of a reach at the wings pick but half this board hated the Bertuzzi pick as well at the time and look how that tured out

Aug 6, 2012
I'm excited to see what Tyler Wright and Kenny do at the top of the draft this year. In my opinion you want to use the first couple picks on defenseman, unless there is a forward (preferably center) that's too good to pass on.

Defenseman are so hard to traject in terms of potential so it'll be very interesting to see what happens. Just like last year's draft, this is probably one of the most important in a while (though of course they are all important). If we can get two quality defenseman in our system with top-four upside then all of a sudden our future is looking much brighter. They just need to find a steal like they did with Larkin, that would be amazing.

In my opinion they should aim for defenseman with the highest offensive ceilings and hope they boom. Usually some of those guys drop every draft. Haven't really done much scouting this year but from what you guys are saying, it sounds like there is a great crop of defenseman to choose from. Hoping Wright and Kenny make the right choice.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
:amazed:

If it works out that way I 100% want us to trade back a couple spots and pick 2 of these 3:
Kylington
Roy
Larsson

Would be ecstatic if we could grab 2 of those guys.

Those are all names that would go in or around 15-25.

If you traded back. You likely end up with 2 2nd round picks.

Names like these:

Dunn
Juulsen
Cernak
Dermott
Meloche

are the kinds we can get 2 of.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
:amazed:

If it works out that way I 100% want us to trade back a couple spots and pick 2 of these 3:
Kylington
Roy
Larsson

Would be ecstatic if we could grab 2 of those guys.

regardless of who we get, I'm really excited about this years class. Watching some of those scouting videos, theres going to be some real talent come out of this years draft

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

Names like these:

Dunn
Juulsen
Cernak
Dermott
Meloche

Hence why I said "If it works out that way."

And as recent as 2013 we dropped back 2 spots and picked up a 2nd in return so again IF it works out that way (big if), then its worth it to drop back for an additional pick if possible to grab 2 good prospects.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If this scenario plays out like this, just draft Jeremy Roy and ride off into the sunset.

Don't even care about trading back at that point.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Names like these:

Dunn
Juulsen
Cernak
Dermott
Meloche

I have no idea how accurate this is, but it is interesting if nothing else. http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

I am willing to entertain (but not anticipatorily commit to) a trade back mainly because Buffalo is on record for wanting to trade up from 21. I would give up 19 for 21 and their second, second rounder. They can have Kindl too for all I care.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I almost hope they spend every single pick on 'home-run' attempts. We've got pretty good depth but desperately need stars before D/Z/K are gone. Obviously I realize the chances of getting one that works out are slim to none.

Some Euros pretty low or unranked on the McKenzie list: Kaprizov, Timashov, Spacek. I think Kovacs could surprise too.

Would love to pick Dergachyov if we had a 2nd, he was really impressive at the WJC and in the MHL. Lots of other interesting guys in that 30-60 range too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad