Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
ScreenHunter_145%2BApr.%2B05%2B08.39.jpg

goon

UND Hockey: Focus on Team Goals, Not Individual Awards

NCHC Frozen Four Facts

• For the first time in the brief history of the conference, the NCHC placed two teams in the NCAA Frozen Four as top-seeded North Dakota won the West Regional while second-seeded Omaha won the Midwest Regional. In its inaugural 2013-14 season, the NCHC had just one team earn a trip to the Frozen Four, which was North Dakota as a No. 4 seed.

• North Dakota is making its 21st Frozen Four appearance in program history and second straight. UND’s 21 Frozen Four berths tie for fourth-most in NCAA history while UND’s semifinal opponent, Boston University, is third with 22. One-third of UND’s Frozen Four appearances have come under head coach Dave Hakstol as he has guided North Dakota to the Frozen Four in seven of his 11 seasons behind the bench.

• On the opposite side of the spectrum is Omaha, which is making its first Frozen Four appearance in program history this weekend. The Mavericks made the NCAA Tournament for just the third time in program history and earned their first-ever NCAA Tournament win on March 28 in a regional semifinal win over Harvard, before blanking RIT the next day.

• While Omaha is in search of its first national championship in program history, North Dakota is gunning for its eighth national title. UND’s seven national championships tie for second in NCAA history with fellow NCHC foe Denver, trailing only Michigan’s nine titles.

• NCHC teams have gone 7-4 in the NCAA Tournament in 2015 as the NCHC placed six of its eight teams in the NCAA field, which was double the amount any other conference had. The six teams from one conference tied an NCAA Tournament record (WCHA in 2008) while the 75 percent of teams from one conference in the NCAA field marked a new NCAA record. NCHC teams went 5-1 in the regional semifinals and had at least one team in all four regional finals. UND extended its consecutive NCAA Tournament streak to 13 years, which is the longest active streak in the country while Denver is now second with eight straight NCAA Tournament appearances after reaching the East Region final.

• Both Frozen Four semifinals pit an NCHC team against a Hockey East foe. The NCHC went 8-10-1 against Hockey East teams this year, including 1-3 so far in the NCAA Tournament. Omaha is 1-1-0 versus HEA foes this season (splitting with New Hampshire) while UND is 1-0-1 with both games against Providence. Overall, the NCHC is 59-28-4 (.670) in non-conference games this season, the best mark of any conference.

• Two NCHC coaches, Omaha’s Dean Blais, and UND’s Dave Hakstol, have been named finalists for the Spencer Penrose Award, given to the Men’s Division I Coach of the Year. Hakstol is now an eight-time finalist for the award while Blais won the award twice when he was head coach at UND (1997 and 2001). Although UNO is making its first Frozen Four trip, Blais won two national titles (1997 and 2000) at UND and is making his fourth trip to the Frozen Four. In 2001, North Dakota was national runner-up with Hakstol in the first of his four years as an assistant coach under Blais.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Goaltending very strong for all four teams:

Nebraska - Ryan Massa .939

Providence - Jon Gillies .929

North Dakota - Zane McIntyre .931

Boston U - Matt O'Conner .928

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Alright, the penultimate day is finally here... and it just so happens to be on one of the biggest days of the NHL calendar due to the playoff races.

Gonna be a nice, long night of hockey.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Things're getting testy between BU and North Dakota.

But it's all over. It's a battle of New England, BU vs Providence in the final.

Last edited:

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
An all Hockey East final in Boston, sound right. Would of been better if BC was there instead of Providence but w/e.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Wow... what a soft goal.

Soft might not even be the right word. He dropped it in his own net.

Aug 3, 2010
Congrats to the Providence kids! It's great to be the first in franchise/program history to accomplish something. For Gillies, Gilmour and Jankowski I hope it's the first piece of major hardware of many!
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I thought he had the puck long enough for a stoppage. Was it in his glove? I can't tell.

That is definitely a weird play, never seen one like it.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I thought he had the puck long enough for a stoppage. Was it in his glove? I can't tell.

That is definitely a weird play, never seen one like it.

I think he didn't know if he had it or not but he did. When he looked behind him he opened his glove up and out comes the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad