2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Seen a bunch of draft talk lately so why not have a dedicated thread?

Who are some players you'd like Francis and company to target?

Maybe you know of some players we should keep an eye on?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
trade Andrej for a 1st

trade that 1st, our 2nd and our 2nd next year to move up to the 10-15 range

draft McEichel

draft Mikko Rantanen

sign Mike Green

sign Paul Martin

your 2015//2016 carolina #hcanes

Eric//Jordan//Semin
Skinner//McEichel//Lindholm
Gerbe//Rask//Rantanen
???//???//Dwyer
Terry

Green//Faulk
Martin//Hainsey
Gleason//Murphy
???

Khudobin
Ward

profit

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
trade Andrej for a 1st

trade that 1st, our 2nd and our 2nd next year to move up to the 10-15 range

draft McEichel

draft Mikko Rantanen

sign Mike Green

sign Paul Martin

your 2015//2016 carolina #hcanes

Eric//Jordan//Semin
Skinner//McEichel//Lindholm
Gerbe//Rask//Rantanen
???//???//Dwyer
Terry

Green//Faulk
Martin//Hainsey
Gleason//Murphy
???

Khudobin
Ward

profit

But the problem with that is Mike Green on the top pairing. Do not want.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Would rather just sign Martin and Michalek instead of getting Green. Hell we could probably sign Martin and Michalek for the price of Green alone.

Anyway, the guys I want to see us draft as of right now:

McEichel
Hanifin
Marner
Strome
Rantanen
Werenski
MAYBE Barzal depending on how he rebounds

Zacha has been really disappointing to me this season, and I want absolutely NOTHING to do with Crouse.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
McEichel
Marner
Hanifin
Strome
Werenski/Provorov
Rantanen
Kylington
Konecny/Barzal

For me. I would absolutely love to find a way to utilize resources gained from Sekera and Tlusty to get another 10-15 pick and pick up another one of Kylington, Provorov, Werenski, or Konecny.

Walking away from the draft with Marner and Provorov/Werenski or Hanifin and Konecny/Barzal would be a huge boost for the future of the team.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Why no Crouse? Know nothing about him but if he's ranked where he is....there's a reason?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Why no Crouse? Know nothing about him but if he's ranked where he is....there's a reason?

Crouse is an A+ complimentary scoring winger with size. Next to Crosby or Giroux he has the potential to be a 30+ goal guy.

The Canes severely lack playmaking ability from their best players. I think it is the same issue we are seeing with Skinner, nobody has the ability to set him up or get him going. Crouse just doesn't fit with the current team setup.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Crouse is an A+ complimentary scoring winger with size. Next to Crosby or Giroux he has the potential to be a 30+ goal guy.

The Canes severely lack playmaking ability from their best players. I think it is the same issue we are seeing with Skinner, nobody has the ability to set him up or get him going. Crouse just doesn't fit with the current team setup.

Gotcha. This makes sense. All I've seen from anyone else is "**** no" with no other explanation.

I asked my buddy who has seen him several times and he says he's a very good player and should go as a top 5 pick.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Would rather just sign Martin and Michalek instead of getting Green. Hell we could probably sign Martin and Michalek for the price of Green alone.

Anyway, the guys I want to see us draft as of right now:

McEichel
Hanifin
Marner
Strome

Rantanen
Werenski
MAYBE Barzal depending on how he rebounds

Zacha has been really disappointing to me this season, and I want absolutely NOTHING to do with Crouse.

That's my partial list in the same order, but I don't really know much about the unbolded guys.

He's got some tools that should make him look really good, but the results just aren't there. He's 6'3'' 200 playing against children and has 23 points in 31 games in the OHL (7th on his own team). He's very young (won't be 18 until June) and has improved from his rookie year, but he's listed wayyy higher than he should be. He'd be an interesting pick later in the draft, but he belongs nowhere near the top of it based on what he's shown so far.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I forget his name, but isn't there a 6'6" Canadian defenseman slated around ~15

That would intrigue me as well.

Also, Rantanen is huge. If we do get a second upper echelon type pick, I would pee my pants with glee of we got him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I find him to be lacking offensively for a prospect that's so highly regarded (feel the same about Zacha FWIW) and the biggest thing this team needs out of this draft, assuming we re-sign Sekera, is a playmaker long-term. We flat out lack any kind of playmaker on our roster outside Semin right now, and I get the impression that GMRF and Pete don't really want him around too much longer.

I will say if we were to take Crouse at 15 or so, after acquiring another first, I'd be perfectly fine with it. I just think he has absolutely no business being rated anywhere near where we should be picking.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
I find him to be lacking offensively for a prospect that's so highly regarded (feel the same about Zacha FWIW) and the biggest thing this team needs out of this draft, assuming we re-sign Sekera, is a playmaker long-term. We flat out lack any kind of playmaker on our roster outside Semin right now, and I get the impression that GMRF and Pete don't really want him around too much longer.

I will say if we were to take Crouse at 15 or so, after acquiring another first, I'd be perfectly fine with it. I just think he has absolutely no business being rated anywhere near where we should be picking.

Crouse is way over rated.

If things keep going like they are for us, our chances at McEichel get slimmer and slimmer cause it is the carolina way to go on a streak now.

If we don't get McEichel and we end up in the #3 spot, I say we take Strome over Hanfin in a heart beat. Even if Strome didn't have McDavid he would be putting up big points on his own.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Strome or Marner for me, followed by a tossup between Werenski and Rantanen.

Strome's going to be a good one, but Marner really caught me by surprise this year, that kid might be the real deal.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Strome or Marner for me, followed by a tossup between Werenski and Rantanen.

Strome's going to be a good one, but Marner really caught me by surprise this year, that kid might be the real deal.

Marner is dominating the OHL, no doubt about it. I didn't realize initially how young he is. Kind of a late bloomer, he is still growing and figures to end up at least 5'11". Pure playmaker who would fit perfectly with the Canes. I'd take him above Hanifin at this point.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The Canes lack playmaking and goalscoring. Neither is so much better than the other that not taking BPA seems like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad