Rumor: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Picturing in my head 10 minutes from now reading that Kindl has cleared and then 30 minutes after that hearing that we've swapped one of our RFA tire fire defencemen for him. And this ends the defence moves for the year. :banghead:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I also really do think chabot will be in the NHL next year. So all this talk about top 4 might be useless.

Also. The odds are about 0 so saying this is useless. But I would love hanifin out ofcarolina. They have no reason to trade him.

The big problem is that we already have too many kids who can't put their games together... in part because they're playing with other struggling kids. I'll lose my mind if I have to watch Ceci and Chabot struggle as pairing next year too. We need more veteran experience on this team, not less. We need to cut bait on one of the underperforming kids and acquire a helpful vet to try to save the rest of them.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I really really hope Chabot is not in the NHL next season. Take time, do it right. No more rushing assets.

I would think he at least gets his nine games. If we don't acquire someone else. He will be the 4th - 5th best d man on the team

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
From Garrihack

Senators GM Bryan Murray will sit down with his scouting staff this week. A couple of teams have shown interest in defenceman Jared Cowen so it will be interesting to see if the club finally decides to take action and move him

Please please please

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
He's a diminishing asset that is more useful to you in the press box and off your books. What is there more to discuss. Jesus Christ he aint going to find his rookie form as there is no Gonchar here to do the heavy lifting for that pairing. Move him quickly as you can before those teams stop calling.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Apparently Ottawa had scouts watching drouin play the other night, what would a realistic offer be to acquire him? Anyone think like lazar + ? I dont really have a clue

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've always been a big Cowen guy, but if we can move him and free up some money for next year, I'm down. I'd even take on another bad contract if it expires this year.

Same.

I've been a big Cowen supporter, and I think he still could end up a solid 2nd pairing D, but it's time to move on. If I were Murray I'd take whatever I can get at this point just to get his 4.6M salary off the books for next year.

Exact same boat, he has been pretty bad this year, but I still expect him to be a reliable #5 at worst wherever he ends up. It's time to move on for us.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Apparently Ottawa had scouts watching drouin play the other night, what would a realistic offer be to acquire him? Anyone think like lazar + ? I dont really have a clue

Maybe white +? That's pretty solid.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How many guys has been rushed with the Sens? Maybe Lazar's offense is not what people thought it should be maybe but it's too early to tell yet. Anyone else? Maybe Ceci, Zibby but Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Prince, Pageau, Puempel, seemed to not have have been rushed.

I'm excluding Cowen cause his career has been a wreck so far.

Almost everyone of our 1st rounders has been rushed.

Karlsson is a generational talent on D, so it's hard to argue he was rushed to the league. Not sure they knew that at the time though. Keeping EK up in 09/10 probably had a lot to do with the Sens lack of talent and puckmoving ability on the blueline.

Cowen should have been given a season or two at the AHL level, but he completely skipped that level because of 10 strong playoff games for Binghamton during their Calder cup run. Looked good in his rookie season, but his weaknesses were sheltered playing with a Hall of Fame D in Gonchar.

Zibanejad was drafted as an extremely raw player. He had the great shot, the talent, the size and skating ability to be molded into a really center, but obviously needed time. Sens management gave him one year in the SHL, where he was good, not great, and developed concussion issues. The season after that he was in the NHL, and now he looks like the same quality of forward as he was back then.

Puempel hasn't been rushed. Management tried to rush him to the league last season when he was called up, despite not performing well in Bingo, and then was kept up for 13 games despite not performing well for the Sens. They've done a better job of developing him this year. Gave him the initial call up, but did not keep him up when he didn't produce, and have recently called up several different forwards from Binghamton that aren't as good, so Puempel can get some key development time as one of the top scorers on the team.

Ceci was rushed, and it has hampered his offensive game. Was called up because of Murray's inability to fix the defense, and has been partnered with Phillips and Wiercioch for most of his career thus far. Putting a rookie D in a top 4 role playing alongside an awful defenseman is no way to develop a player.

Lazar is the most obvious case of management rushing a player to the league. Kid didn't play well in camp, the pre-season, or in his first 9 games, but was kept up because he was a good character kid that works hard. Had the defensive game to play a regular shift, but anyone with half a brain will know that playing a rookie 10 minutes a game in defensive situations, with extremely limited touches of the puck (mostly dump-ins or chips out of the D-zone) will not bode well for offensive development. Management had their chance to send him down to the AHL at the start of the year, but chose not to, and now it's almost too late. Lazar could have been a good two-way player, but now he's looking eerily similar to Condra.

Given the stagnation of Cowen, Zibanejad, Ceci and Lazar, management should avoid rushing anymore of our prospects to the league, even if they are ready to play a regular shift. For our most recent 1st round picks, that means Chabot should be sent down for another year in the Q, and then maybe a season in the AHL as well, and for White that means the AHL next season, unless he blows everyone away like Larkin in Detroit.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
White is gonna be one helluva player tho, would we be better off trading him??

I'm thinking r zibanejad and lazar for drouin + a koekkoek + a pick. This season takes a hit. And then white at center? Or sign a stop gap second line center. As I'm writing this is doesn't sound so great

Also they could use the argument "we're going with zib and turris 1-2 long term. Stone Ryan long term at RW. Where does white fit. Is it worth it to trade him for a potential top line LW? Maybe. It's not as though oageau or lazar are old. They are probably seen as third line centers long term as well.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
As much as i like zibanejad, big shot but never uses it and strong, he just doesnt click all that well wtbs. I think i make the trade, Drouin fast skilled could seriously help us out

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Hmmm for Cowen, most likely it means a similar contract is coming back hence the need to discuss it with the scouts. No team is going to take that contract off your hands and give you an asset for it.

I wonder which team is interested in looking for a player like Cowen and what contract they might be looking to send our way.

You can narrow it down by looking at teams that need some defensive depth help and which are most likely trying to get rid of a forward. Murray isn't probably trading a bad contract of a dman for another dman. Most likely a forward.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hmmm for Cowen, most likely it means a similar contract is coming back hence the need to discuss it with the scouts. No team is going to take that contract off your hands and give you an asset for it.

I wonder which team is interested in looking for a player like Cowen and what contract they might be looking to send our way.
We have to look around for similar aged young guys with soon to be expiring bad contracts.

If Toronto was under the previous regime I swear we see a kadri for cowen swap.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
As much as i like zibanejad, big shot but never uses it and strong, he just doesnt click all that well wtbs. I think i make the trade, Drouin fast skilled could seriously help us out

Creates a huge hole down the middle and makes the team much weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad