Marlies Discussion: 2015-2016 Marlies STACKED Discussion

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
Don't have experience with the Marlies season tickets, but I know that in past year's it was easy to pickup last minute tickets to games - that being said, the Marlies were never as good as they forecast to be this year...

Yeah I went to one Marlies game last season and it was fairly affordable and not sold out I think.

Does anyone know if I can look at past ticket sales records from somewhere?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Thanks for all the responses. Sparks played awesome last year for us, and became a fan favorite pretty quickly. Glad to hear he's likely back.

I'm glad to hear Verhaeghe will be down. Got to catch a couple of Niagara games this past season when I was visiting Buffalo, was very impressed with his skillset.

When I said Biggs was "good", I meant for Orlando. He had 6 pts in 8 games.

So to summarize, I should expect, as of now, 4-5 forwards, 1-2 defensemen, and a goaltender?

That sounds right. It'll be a bunch of guys going up and down, almost like revolving door. That's what happens when you have 3-4 guys graduate out of the CHL, sign a few NCAA guys, and bring over some Euro's all in the same off season. And that's not including the players already there + AHL Free Agents signed. Also, management made it clear that they wanted veterans up on the Leafs to create actual competition for roster spots. It's a lot of depth, but it's the best we've had in years.

NotSince67*

With the affiliation of the Brampton Beast and the Habs, you wonder why the Leafs didn't try to affiliate with an ECHL close to home.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
With the affiliation of the Brampton Beast and the Habs, you wonder why the Leafs didn't try to affiliate with an ECHL close to home.

Because there was no ECHL team close to home when the Leafs affiliated with Orlando. The Brampton Beast have only been in existence for 2 years, and last year was the first time they played in the ECHL.

mikebel111*

For people who dont know a lot about Sheldon Keefe.
I asked the Greyhounds thread about his systems and style and they basically said this.

Keefe absolutely loves puck possession. There is almost never any Dump and Chase. You take the puck and keep it. He prefers the team carry the puck out of their zone rather than pass it. He also believes all players on the ice are responsible for defence.

He also doesnt like players who take bad penalties. He has actually sent a player to the dressing room for that

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
For people who dont know a lot about Sheldon Keefe.
I asked the Greyhounds thread about his systems and style and they basically said this.

Keefe absolutely loves puck possession. There is almost never any Dump and Chase. You take the puck and keep it. He prefers the team carry the puck out of their zone rather than pass it. He also believes all players on the ice are responsible for defence.

He also doesnt like players who take bad penalties. He has actually sent a player to the dressing room for that

Thanks Mike. That is great stuff.

What a breath of fresh that will be to watch. I always hated the Leafs propensity to launch the long bomb stretch pass which more times than not resulted in an icing. I think both teams will be fun to watch - Marlies will win more than the Leafs though.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What a breath of fresh that will be to watch. I always hated the Leafs propensity to launch the long bomb stretch pass which more times than not resulted in an icing. I think both teams will be fun to watch - Marlies will win more than the Leafs though.

I'm not sure that was ever a system problem as much as it was a problem with lazy forwards ****ing off and expecting breakout passes.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Don't have experience with the Marlies season tickets, but I know that in past year's it was easy to pickup last minute tickets to games - that being said, the Marlies were never as good as they forecast to be this year...

Even during the 2012/2013 lockout season when Gardiner, Kadri, Colbourne and Frattin were down playing against other teams young NHL players you could always get tickets. They were pretty close to sold out though and it was a great atmosphere. Hopefully it can be duplicated again this year. You can get standing room for $10 ($14 on game day) and you can move into a seat after puck drop. Go train has a stop right outside the stadium as well as two streetcar routes. Tones of reasonable parking too.

No excuses boys and girls!!,:rant:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Even during the 2012/2013 lockout season when Gardiner, Kadri, Colbourne and Frattin were down playing against other teams young NHL players you could always get tickets. They were pretty close to sold out though and it was a great atmosphere. Hopefully it can be duplicated again this year. You can get standing room for $10 ($14 on game day) and you can move into a seat after puck drop. Go train has a stop right outside the stadium as well as two streetcar routes. Tones of reasonable parking too.

Hey! I live in Sweden. Supporting the Marlies in person would get very expensive very fast :P

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:laugh: i might start going, if I can get some disposable income. :)

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Umm...stacked? Ya...no.

I don't see how the Marlies are "stacked". Marner is the most exciting prospect in the system that maybe not every team has, but he can't play in the AHL this year. However, more than half the teams in the league have an AHL squad that has equally as promising prospects.

The way you guys are talking it's like we've drafted the only players with upside in the last few years.

Why are you paraphrasing me? When I think stacked I think guys that will make the NHL. Not a bunch of soon to be AHL lifers or European all stars.

Off the top of my head, the teams that have an equally, if not more exciting prospect pool are:
Monarchs
Icehogs
Griffins
Barons
Tigers
Pirates
Crunch
Stars
Comets
Americans
Milwaukee

If you just want to talk full of guys who will never make the NHL, then ya the Marlies have a bunch of those guys.

I've got to say that the Marlies look pretty stacked this year. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad