2015/16 Wishlist

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It would seem odd for NYR to move Yandle after just acquiring him. Do they need the cap room?

Moving forward they do, but Yandle is currently on a sweetheart deal for another year, so moving him doesn't help the immediate.

The only way it makes sense is if they've decided he's not a piece they want moving forward AND they want to recoup the assets they paid for him. That's about it. But why move a defender on a sweetheart deal (who you paid handsomely to get) when your window to win is now...? There's about 5 other moves New York could logically made that don't include shipping out Yandle.

And for all the "ew, Yandle yucky" comments we got after he was traded, he still finished the playoffs with 11 points in 19 games and a +7. So he was tied for 3rd in defender playoff scoring, only 3 points behind Hedman (14 points in 26 games) and everybody else was a million miles behind Keith.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, wishful thinking on my part! I think he'd be a perfect fit here.

Dreger said Winnipeg does not want to trade their big guys (Ladd and Byfuglien)

No idea where to post this, seems somewhat related to this thread. What would DET fans be willing to give up for Bieksa? There has been rumors DET is one of the teams calling about him and now that Dion is out of the picture, seems like a possiblity.

Used to think he was exactly what we needed, but do not want him at his age for what it would probably cost.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Used to think he was exactly what we needed, but do not want him at his age for what it would probably cost.

Feels a few years too late at this point. I mean, how much can the Wings honestly give up for a 34-year-old that doesn't generate offense?

Sure, he'd look great next to Kronwall, but is that the sort of thing you give up futures for?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Wonder who or what Holland had in mind when the organization threw their first round pick into the trade waters if Phaneuf wasn't in the cards.

I don't know, but if I had to guess it's probably something totally unexpected and off the wall.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Moving forward they do, but Yandle is currently on a sweetheart deal for another year, so moving him doesn't help the immediate.

The only way it makes sense is if they've decided he's not a piece they want moving forward AND they want to recoup the assets they paid for him. That's about it. But why move a defender on a sweetheart deal (who you paid handsomely to get) when your window to win is now...? There's about 5 other moves New York could logically made that don't include shipping out Yandle.

And for all the "ew, Yandle yucky" comments we got after he was traded, he still finished the playoffs with 11 points in 19 games and a +7. So he was tied for 3rd in defender playoff scoring, only 3 points behind Hedman (14 points in 26 games) and everybody else was a million miles behind Keith.

Yeah, for all of Yandle's perceived negatives, he found a pretty good niche in NYR and put up his share of points. Him driving offense from our second or third pairing quite possibly gets us by TB in the first round.

I don't know, but if I had to guess it's probably something totally unexpected and off the wall.

To Tampa for the club rights for Mattias Ritola?

Roy S

May 16, 2009

He also was their #6 defenseman. He's just a bottom pairing defenseman at even strength. I don't think he's on a sweetheart deal and he's definitely not worth a 1st round pick. I'm sure NYR would move him if they could-that is a really expensive #6 D man.

If a defenseman couldn't play on the Wings top pairing or be an upgrade in their top 4 at even strength, then they aren't worth acquiring. That's their main weakness.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He also was their #6 defenseman. He's just a bottom pairing defenseman at even strength. I don't think he's on a sweetheart deal and he's definitely not worth a 1st round pick. I'm sure NYR would move him if they could-that is a really expensive #6 D man.

If a defenseman couldn't play on the Wings top pairing or be an upgrade in their top 4 at even strength, then they aren't worth acquiring. That's their main weakness.

Yeah he was THEIR #6 defenseman, but they have one of the deepest D corps in the league. Probably deepest after Nashville. I think he'd definitely play in the top 4 here.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
wouldn't give him anything of value.

Feels a few years too late at this point. I mean, how much can the Wings honestly give up for a 34-year-old that doesn't generate offense?

Sure, he'd look great next to Kronwall, but is that the sort of thing you give up futures for?

Realistically his value is probably higher than what most Canucks fans would be okay with trading him for. Benning is probably asking for a young roster player or prospect plus a mid-round pick. Most fans seems to be okay with a 3rd round pick return :laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah he was THEIR #6 defenseman, but they have one of the deepest D corps in the league. Probably deepest after Nashville. I think he'd definitely play in the top 4 here.

Well, then he was a #6 defender that was 4th on their entire team in scoring. Not the 4th defender, the 4th player. And only 4 of his 11 points were on the powerplay, so just throw out that tired argument.

New York used him in an offensive role and it worked. He didn't look stretched out like he did in Arizona. He moves the puck really well and he delivered exactly what he was brought in to do.

When you have McDonaugh, Girardi, Staal, and Klein, why bother rolling out Boyle and Yandle in defensive scenarios?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, then he was a #6 defender that was 4th on their entire team in scoring. Not the 4th defender, the 4th player. And only 4 of his 11 points were on the powerplay, so just throw out that tired argument.

New York used him in an offensive role and it worked. He didn't look stretched out like he did in Arizona. He moves the puck really well and he delivered exactly what he was brought in to do.

When you have McDonaugh, Girardi, Staal, and Klein, why bother rolling out Boyle and Yandle in defensive scenarios?

Exactly. But we don't have that luxury here. He would get healthy playing time, and would not be bottom pair IMO.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Exactly. But we don't have that luxury here. He would get healthy playing time, and would not be bottom pair IMO.

His ice time would look a lot closer to what he got in Arizona. Which is he'd be getting heaps of ES and PP time. And that was with Dave "defense always" Tippett running things there. People forget Yandle thrived with scoring in a turtle system with little offensive talent for years and years.

Yandle is the danger. He is the one who knocks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, for all of Yandle's perceived negatives, he found a pretty good niche in NYR and put up his share of points. Him driving offense from our second or third pairing quite possibly gets us by TB in the first round.

Yeah, honestly for all the flak Yandle and Myers got here during us speculating trades, both of them want on to look really good after being traded.

Maybe we should try to be more open minded. Or maybe it's too soon to tell. We will see!

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
God, Lidstrom spoiled us. This team has rolled out Ericsson on the first pairing for a couple years now and people are calling Yandle a bottom-pair guy?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
whats the general consensus on Gabriel Carlsson? guy has good size, seeing hes more of a second round pick though.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Yandle and Green are in the same boat. Guys that don't play much in high pressure defensive situations but put up lots of points and drive the pp. Is that worth $6m a year? For a team like the Rangers that has all the defense they need, perhaps.

For a team whose defense neither defends nor contributes offensively, probably not. Hence, not a great fit here.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yandle and Green are in the same boat. Guys that don't play much in high pressure defensive situations but put up lots of points and drive the pp. Is that worth $6m a year? For a team like the Rangers that has all the defense they need, perhaps.

For a team whose defense neither defends nor contributes offensively, probably not. Hence, not a great fit here.

This is really wrong. A lot of Detroit's problems start with having a defensive core that couldn't pass MOD. Without a defense capable of making the first pass, all the speed Detroit has on the front end is pretty much useless, as a bad first pass allows for the other team to clog up the neutral zone and negate that speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larkinarounddacorner

Jun 1, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Someone to take Ericsson contract, Franzen to go LTIR both for his and our sake, Kindl to get traded, Smith to stay and excel in Blashill's system and the biggest one... A blockbuster deal for a Shea Weber or similar type defensemen

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
whats the general consensus on Gabriel Carlsson? guy has good size, seeing hes more of a second round pick though.

Not the right thread, but there is concerns about his offensive game and offensive potential.

If the Red Wings did draft him though, I would trust those issues are overstated.

I think I'd rather have Larsson, of the two.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time being mad at a 50 pt d man.

Yandle would likely change that in my opinion. Green is a far better D-man in his own zone than Yandle.

Yandle also transitions the puck directly to the other team a little more than people think.

He can only play on the left side and can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

When he is on the direct result of three goals in our net while getting two points you would still be mad at him Frk It. You watch all the games, not just cruise the stat sheet. There is plenty about watching Yandle play that divorces you from how those numbers are achieved.

Keith Yandle probably wins five games a season with his amazing offensive talent, he loses five with his sub-par defense. He gives up at least if not more the amount of chances he creates. He should never be distributed to check top offensive talent.

Though I will be honest a Yandle - Jensen pairing would be solid gold Jerry! Just from an entertainment and aesthetically pleasing standpoint of the skating, transition and offensive zone pairing they would offer if they were iced. Still for the money Yandle makes and the significant raise he is about to get, he leaves a lot of gripes to be had. Was really happy he was left off Team USA for the Olympics, I hope he is for the World Cup as well.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
God, Lidstrom spoiled us. This team has rolled out Ericsson on the first pairing for a couple years now and people are calling Yandle a bottom-pair guy?

He's played on the bottom pairing at even strength his entire career.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's played on the bottom pairing at even strength his entire career.

Statically speaking, this is incorrect. And if you have seen the Coyotes GDT'S over the years this would also prove incorrect.

From 2010 to 2013 Yandle was not only NOT a bottom pairing even strength defenseman, he actually led the team in even strength ice time per game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yandle would likely change that in my opinion. Green is a far better D-man in his own zone than Yandle.

Yandle also transitions the puck directly to the other team a little more than people think.

He can only play on the left side and can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

When he is on the direct result of three goals in our net while getting two points you would still be mad at him Frk It. You watch all the games, not just cruise the stat sheet. There is plenty about watching Yandle play that divorces you from how those numbers are achieved.

Keith Yandle probably wins five games a season with his amazing offensive talent, he loses five with his sub-par defense. He gives up at least if not more the amount of chances he creates. He should never be distributed to check top offensive talent.

Though I will be honest a Yandle - Jensen pairing would be solid gold Jerry! Just from an entertainment and aesthetically pleasing standpoint of the skating, transition and offensive zone pairing they would offer if they were iced. Still for the money Yandle makes and the significant raise he is about to get, he leaves a lot of gripes to be had. Was really happy he was left off Team USA for the Olympics, I hope he is for the World Cup as well.

There's definitely some truth to this. I'm not ever one to say he does not have his flaws, and does not lay some stinkers from time to time.

Based on our conversations to date, I think we both know we are on different ends of the spectrum regarding Yandle. I have seen him many times, you're right, and I know of some of the games you are referencing. But we are talking about an elite, elite offensive player at his position. You look at his production, with his bogus group of forwards, and defensive system, and his ability to create offense is somewhat mind-boggling.

I would tolerate the bad defensive games for what you are getting on the other end of the rink. That is my opinion, and I totally understand if folks wouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad