2015-16 Standings Predictions

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
I beg to differ on this point; Kelowna Rockets are every bit as great a team/ organization.

Kelowna has a great program, and I agree they are neck and neck in team records, they are both perennial contenders, but the comment was development.

Since the Hunter Era the Knights have had 43 Nhl picks vs Kelowna's 32
13 first rd. picks including 3 first overalls vs. 3 1st rd. and only 1 top 5
25 players combining for 6926 NHL games played and for 3919 pts
vs 15 playing 2697 games and 1094 pts.

Development wise they're not really close.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Kelowna has a great program, and I agree they are neck and neck in team records, they are both perennial contenders, but the comment was development.

"Development" is so over played. You draft stars and they end up in the NHL. Domi, Horvat, Perry, Maata, Kahdri, etc, could have played in Peru, they would have made the NHL regardless.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Understand your point but not sure I can agree with the overstated statement. Also, could be mistaken but I don't believe London drafted Domi or Kadri.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010

Tkachuk, Jones and Juolevi are already ranked to go in the first round. How exactly have the Knights contributed to their development? I'm sure the same could be said for some of the 13 previous first rounders you refer to.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Tkachuk, Jones and Juolevi are already ranked to go in the first round. How exactly have the Knights contributed to their development? I'm sure the same could be said for some of the 13 previous first rounders you refer to.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not saying the knights don't develop guys at all but to me more impressive development is taking a guy like Tanner Pearson or Andrew Mangiapane and turning them into NHLers when no one thought they would be to begin with. (It's just random that I picked two colts).

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
I can see Kingston finishing last in the east this year and can't see how Mississauga finishes below them. A large part of their success will be what happens to Crouse and Mckeowen in terms of where they will play next season. By the articles I have read Florida wants to keep Crouse in the NHL next season. I have also heard local rumours that some of our better players want out.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
My thoughts exactly. I'm not saying the knights don't develop guys at all but to me more impressive development is taking a guy like Tanner Pearson or Andrew Mangiapane and turning them into NHLers when no one thought they would be to begin with. (It's just random that I picked two colts).
Girardi (undrafted OA) Prust, Anderson-soon(FAs) . They've had others as well who weren't projected early in O careers as pros.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
"Development" is so over played. You draft stars and they end up in the NHL. Domi, Horvat, Perry, Maata, Kahdri, etc, could have played in Peru, they would have made the NHL regardless.

Not all OHL 1st rounders pan out. The Knights have turned late O first rounders with a lot of question marks into legit NHLers/NHL prospects. Chris Tierney is looking like he could be one of the best Canadian forwards from the 2012 draft (after many had written him off after a poor rookie year). They took a chance on a 130-pound Mitch Marner in the late 1st and it's paying dividends.

Horvat, as a 9th overall pick in the O draft, was turned into a 9th overall pick in the NHL draft. Of the 8 guys picked ahead of him, only Ekblad and Nurse turned into higher NHL picks (and Horvat made the NHL before Nurse).

Then you have guys like Remi Elie, Kyle Platzer, Centorame, AA who turned into effective OHLers from late picks.

The Knights how to develop forwards. Don't think defenseman are developed as well but at least they know how to get talent into the program (Juolevi, Maatta, Zads, Tinordi).

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Since I kinda hijacked the thread with my reply let me get it back on track

West
Sarnia
London
Kitchener
Soo
Erie
Saginaw
Windsor
Guelph
Owen Sound
Flint

East
Niagara
Ottawa
North Bay
Barrie
Hamilton
Peterborough
Oshawa
Sudbury
Mississauga
Kingston

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Sorry I thought I heard somewhere that the CHL was a developmental league. Guess most players come "oven ready" when the NHL drafts them. Interesting I must say.:)

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Niagara
Barrie
Sudbury
North Bay
Mississauga

Ottawa
Peterborough
Kingston
Oshawa
Hamilton

London
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Erie
Guelph

Soo
Sarnia
Saginaw
Windsor
Flint

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I remember another Domi, Tie Domi who came to Peterborough as a fighter and with little chance of playing in the NHL and Dick Todd developed him and he was drafted in the 2nd round and played in the NHL.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
I remember another Domi, Tie Domi who came to Peterborough as a fighter and with little chance of playing in the NHL and Dick Todd developed him and he was drafted in the 2nd round and played in the NHL.
yes, it happens. and some players are going to the show no matter what, so fans claiming this demonstrates how great a team is at developing players are misguided. did Erie develop Connor McDavid?

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
yes, it happens. and some players are going to the show no matter what, so fans claiming this demonstrates how great a team is at developing players are misguided. did Erie develop Connor McDavid?

No but mcdavid did learn how to win with a struggling franchise. He benefited greatly from Erie, more than people think

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I'd be very surprised if the Steelheads finish as low as some are predicting, if Nylander reports (which it is rumored he will) it gives us another dynamic piece to add to the young core.

Just my biased two cents haha

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Connor did benefit from some very good coaching too. He stated that repeatedly at the player's banquet, and has said that during some interviews. Ftorek, Knoblauch, and McKee all helped him mature and grow as a player and an individual.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
15/16 Season Predictions

I know it's super early to be making these sorts of predictions, but doesn't mean this can't be fun. I honestly have no clue which teams are expected to be the 'top dogs' this year, so curious what how others think this season is expected to turnout.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Tough to say. It's still early but considering the regular season starts in three weeks its not that early. Nonetheless after some offseason moves this is my guess now. Subject to change again

West:

1. London Knights
2. SSM Greyhounds
3. Sarnia Sting
4. Erie Otters
5. Saginaw Spirit
6. Kitchener Rangers
7. Windsor Spifires
8. Guelph Storm
9. Owen Sound Attack
10. Flint Firebirds

West 3-7 is completely a toss up right now imo.

East:

1. Niagara Ice Dogs
2. Ottawa 67's
3. Barrie Colts
4. North Bay Battalion
5. Hamilton Bulldogs
6. Mississauga Steelheads
7. Oshawa Generals
8. Peterborough Petes
9. Sudbury Wolves
10. Kingston Frontenacs

Bardown77

Sep 3, 2015
OHL Pre Season Standings Predictions

Western Conference

1. London Knights
2. Sarnia Sting
3. Soo St. Marie Greyhounds
4. Kitchener Rangers
5. Erie Otters
6. Saginaw Spirit
7. Guelph Storm
8. Windsor Spitfires
9. Owen Sound Attack
10. Flint Firebirds

Note: Sarnia is only put in the second seed if Pavel Zacha does return

Eastern Conference

1. Niagara Ice Dogs
2. Ottawa 67's
3. North Bay Battalion
4. Barrie Colts
5. Hamilton Bulldogs
6. Oshawa Generals
7. Peterborough Petes
8. Mississauga Steelheads
9. Sudbury Wolves
10. Kingston Frontenacs

Last edited:

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
How interesting are the Oshawa Generals this season? I don't think they are going to be as bad as most of us expected through the summer. Dal Colle, Appleby & Mistele all appear to be back.

In a less than powerful East Division they should be right in the mix for a shot at a likely # 2 seed in the Playoffs!

But...that said...how do they pass up the opportunity to re-stock the bare cupboard (bare cupboard obv worth it for Mem Cup). Dal Colle will net a couple 2nds, 3rds and a 2015 1st Round Pick. Appleby a nice lot as well. And Mistele has proven he can be the exact hired gun a team needs.

If the Gens are in the division lead mix come trade deadline do they still sell??? They'll have nothing to offer to buy (Studnicka will be a big part of this team similar to MVS two seasons ago). And if they pass up the chance to re-stock they won't have another chance to sell on MDC/Mistele/Appleby.

Very intriguing season coming up in Oshawa, especially if they are in the hunt for the East Division lead come deadline time!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad