2015-16 St. John's IceCaps & Brampton Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What was McNally like for Hamilton?

In the games I saw he was on the 4th line, so he didn't see a ton of action. I saw him in the NCAA but he never really stood out. The Habs have had a few Dartmouth players in the system over the past couple of years. Dustin Walsh (169th '09), Joe Stejskal (133rd, '07), JT Wyman (100th, '04).

He was a teammate of Walsh so the scouts must have seen something in him they liked while keeping an eye on Walsh. Has a solid frame and moves well from what I recall.

He was a senior the Habs signed out of Darmouth at the end of the year. We can't really know for sure.

Hamilton signed him to a PTO, not the Habs, and this is an AHL deal just to be clear.

I wonder what this means for Sorkin's future with the organisation.

With all the incoming rookies they will need space for them plus some vets so perhaps Sorkin will sign somewhere else.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
And a very entertaining broadcaster. Brian Rogers is certainly a homer, but is worth a chuckle or two for sure. You'll get used to the Rogerisms

"He flashed the leather lobster"

"He flashed the cowhide crab"

"He scores... Ray Sawadaaa ya at Sawada"

"I really should be quiet about the referees but......."

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
This thread title looks so weird with the name change, but here's hoping the packed arena in St. John's will entice the players to play harder in the AHL.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
Last edited:

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
There are about ten times as many Montreal vs Jets fans here, the place will be rocking!!

Here are the highlights of the first playoff series clinching game back in 2012. I'll never forget it!!
It'll give you a flavour of MileOne. (The highlights are of a much better quality this season).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoWqip66kHY

Video from this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA7Uo9VU3Iw&index=37&list=PL2oO13vkRdEfXyaOXhYioC64saZjr-Ibc

Holy hell... we get that broadcast quality every home game? I don't have to decide whether its worth watching through a potato to see the baby habs? That, plus the improved atmosphere, is so welcome. I will probably be able to watch more than the first 10 games and then give up next year due to the deplorable quality of the broadcasts in general in Hamilton.

Thanks for the links! Lots to look forward to next year, some incoming top talent and a great new barn with great feed quality, being a Maritimer as well its cool they are closer, though still getting to St John's is a no go for me, not the most convenient drive and flights too expensive, but still. Seeing them playing close and getting fan support from the Maritimes will be cool. Should be an exciting year, hope to god they can make the playoffs and show more next year.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
You have to wonder if Hamilton intentionally didn't upgrade their cameras like the rest of the league did because they knew they were leaving the AHL and wanted to pinch pennies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I already prefer our association with St. John than with Hamilton....and like their fans too. Feel that IceCapsFanNHL will be an appreciated contributor to this board. Might not be long.....but somehow if the turnaround is great, I hope some great things happen for them.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
There are about ten times as many Montreal vs Jets fans here, the place will be rocking!!

Here are the highlights of the first playoff series clinching game back in 2012. I'll never forget it!!
It'll give you a flavour of MileOne. (The highlights are of a much better quality this season).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoWqip66kHY

Video from this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA7Uo9VU3Iw&index=37&list=PL2oO13vkRdEfXyaOXhYioC64saZjr-Ibc

Used to be an myth that only Montreal and Toronto sells here obviously with the Jets and the sellouts that has been proven false.

Even this season with the sell out streak gone we still averaged more then most.

The players will like it here,most do.Here's hoping the change in environment will cause this team to of better.

Analyzer*

Used to be an myth that only Montreal and Toronto sells here obviously with the Jets and the sellouts that has been proven false.

Even this season with the sell out streak gone we still averaged more then most.

The players will like it here,most do.Here's hoping the change in environment will cause this team to of better.

Ice Caps will just need a good offensive dman. A T.J. Brennan type player. Possibly let Dumont go and sign Newbury.

Goalies will likely be Condon and Fucale, unless Condon steals the back up job... Or Fucale, but I don't see him doing that.

Mac Bennett, Darren Dietz, Josiah Didier, Dalton Thrower, Morgan Ellis, Brett Lernout.

Didier needs to be signed.

Thrower and Ellis played mostly in the ECHL.

Lernout is coming from the WHL.

So, that's 2 full time AHL dman with 2 and 1 season of experience.

Targets:

Jordan Subban - Points guy, will be young, but apparently he isn't going to sign with Vancouver. Could change, but who knows ?

T.J. Brennan - Can be a callup, but he's done very well points wise in the AHL over his career. Can be a number 1 down there. Sadly, should be a main target on July 1st.

Stefan Elliott - Was on waivers I believe. Wouldn't cost too much to acquire.

Bobby Sanguinetti - Not sure if he's UFA, but wouldn't cost too much to acquire

Jonathan Blum - Former first round pick hidden in the Wild organization. Wouldn't cost too much to get I would imagine.

For the forwards we should still have:

Charles Hudon, Sven Andrighetto, Daniel Carr, Nikita Scherbak, Mike McCarron, Mark MacMillan, Connor Crisp, Stefan Fournier. Jeremy Gregoire and Tim Bozon.

I imagine Crisp, Fournier and Bozon could start in the ECHL.

Tangradi and Bournival are RFAs. I'd re-sign them for the AHL and depth.

Re-sign T.J. Hensick.

Possible players to look at:

Dustin Jeffrey, Andy Miele, Travis Morin, Alex Bolduc, Kris Newbury, Mike Angelidis

Hopefully get at least 2. One of the tough guys, and one of the more naturally skilled guys. Then sign a tough guy, or two as protection as things get a little more heated in the AHL.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Subban has to return to the draft if Vancouver doesn't sign him.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
little birdie told me that the sweaters will be an exact copy of Montreal's with a recolored IceCaps logo that is otherwise identical to the old one.

Something like this?

st_johns_icecaps_logo.jpg

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Someone PLEASE tell me the coaching staff won't be returning next season.

Please.

The coaching staff won't be returning next season.

Now that you are sedate... I will admit we have no idea. They may be back. But I hope I helped you out a little by hearing the words. I honestly wouldn't be surprised either way, though a new staff would add even more excitement for me going into next season so I am with you on the wish/hope.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
AHL announces realignment today

http://theahl.com/ahl-announces-alignment-for-2015-16-p197883

North Division of Eastern Conference.

Albany
Binghamton
Rochester
St. John's
Syracuse
Toronto
Utica

Makes a lot of sense. IceCaps fly to Toronto and busses to New York state.

wow that's kind of crazy re-alignment but I like it. Can't recall the Habs ever being in the same division as Binghamton and Albany but I always thought it would make sense since they often were right there in NY facing Syracuse, Rochester. Should be interesting to see if the Habs AHL team can make the playoffs in east since they have been in the western conference all along.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
wow that's kind of crazy re-alignment but I like it. Can't recall the Habs ever being in the same division as Binghamton and Albany but I always thought it would make sense since they often were right there in NY facing Syracuse, Rochester. Should be interesting to see if the Habs AHL team can make the playoffs in east since they have been in the western conference all along.

St. John's hasn't played Rochester or Utica before so this is kind of cool.

Since Texas and San Antonio are in the Pacific, and the California teams most likely will play 68 games this season, It looks like the rest of the league could too

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
It typically seemed like Binghamton would play Hamilton up in Ottawa/Montreal, so over the past 4 years I was only able to see the Bulldogs play once, I believe. Definitely looking forward to the two being in the same division this year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It'll sure be fun to see a few different teams more often next year, along with the old familiars like Toronto and Rochester. The AHL schedule gets quite repetitive !

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'd keep Dumont. He's an homegrown guy and a leader. I'd actually keep him as captain until he wants to leave.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'd keep Dumont. He's an homegrown guy and a leader. I'd actually keep him as captain until he wants to leave.

It's not about that. At one point, he has to see if he can restart his career somewhere else. Before you settle and accept that you are a AHL player for life, you have to see other organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad