2015-16 St. John's IceCaps & Brampton Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
2015-03-31-12-52-34-DSC_7221.jpg

Since the last thread was getting full I decided to start a new one with the St. John's IceCaps in the title.​

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Goooood-bye Hamilton! Helloooooo St. John's!

McMillan, Lernout, McCarron, Scherbak, Gregoire, Didier, Fucale, and Bozon. That's an exciting rookie class. Personally, I think DLR needs more A time too.

I hope we surround them with a good team...

...and a good coach as well.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Hopefully the new jerseys and logo will be out soon.

Can't see them straying too far from the Habs colors and template.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
little birdie told me that the sweaters will be an exact copy of Montreal's with a recolored IceCaps logo that is otherwise identical to the old one.

Dec 2, 2010
So heads up to everyone: it's not St Jean, Saint John, St John or St Johns. It's St. John's. Some folks can get defensive about their hometown's name :laugh:

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada

McMillan, Lernout, McCarron, Scherbak, Gregoire, Didier, Fucale, and Bozon. That's an exciting rookie class. Personally, I think DLR needs more A time too.

New coach pls. Open purse strings for a vet team pls.

Seriously, though I loved Scherbak when he was with my Blades. Bozon was good in the W, too. Fucale though..

little birdie told me that the sweaters will be an exact copy of Montreal's with a recolored IceCaps logo that is otherwise identical to the old one.
Should just use the 3rd Jersey. Maybe re-color it if the Habs insist.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Finally out of Hamilton.

Will new season rime with new coaching staff? Or simply new Head coach?

As Montreal pounded many times on this thread, our two best prospects are joining the team next year, so Bergevin better set things straight in the farm club!

The team should be fun to follow, with the possibility of having Andrighetto, Hudon, Carr, MaCcarron, Scherbak, De la Rose, Fucale, Lernout, Dietz, Thrower, Bozon and Bennett amongst others.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
Finally out of Hamilton.

As Montreal pounded many times on this thread, our two best prospects are joining the team next year, so Bergevin better set things straight in the farm club!

The team should be fun to follow, with the possibility of having Andrighetto, Hudon, Carr, MaCcarron, Scherbak, De la Rose, Fucale, Lernout, Dietz, Thrower, Bozon and Bennett amongst others.

Some vet's would be solid. Jets gave the IceCaps a young team last year and it didn't go so well.

What's the goaltending in MTL's system like? Was a treat to watch Hutchinson and Hellebuyck in b2b seasons. Don't think Fucale will look well.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Some vet's would be solid. Jets gave the IceCaps a young team last year and it didn't go so well.

What's the goaltending in MTL's system like? Was a treat to watch Hutchinson and Hellebuyck in b2b seasons. Don't think Fucale will look well.

Mike Condon, great AHL goalie, signed as a free agent from the ncaa two years ago. He burned the ECHL and was arguably Hamilton's best player this season.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Finally out of Hamilton.

Not sure why your choice is between new coaching staff and new head coach....Pretty sure you have to unfortunately also add.....stays the same. Geez, you might even see some extensions....

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
No, from what I hear the new third jersey is different, but real sweet!!

Literally no need to change it. Yuck.

Mike Condon, great AHL goalie, signed as a free agent from the ncaa two years ago. He burned the ECHL and was arguably Hamilton's best player this season.

I've seen that story before. Best player because he has to be or because the D forces him to be? Bring on the Scherbak :yo:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't know what they will do with DLR, the coach seems to really like him so I could easily see him sticking in the NHL. They waited too long imo to send down Bournival, so it will be interesting to see what they do. On one hand his defensive game and physical tools are NHL level but I just worry about it hampering his offensive upside. Tough decision there.

I also am interested to see if they sign Didier or not, they have till August 15th, so perhaps they will wait till the development camp to give him another look, although I would have thought he would have been signed by now so getting concerned since we have a lot of RD's.

New coach pls. Open purse strings for a vet team pls.

Seriously, though I loved Scherbak when he was with my Blades. Bozon was good in the W, too. Fucale though.

I don't know what they will do in regards to vets, they brought in Hensick who has been a good scorer at the AHL level in the past, but they also have a large incoming rookie class so it's hard to say. After missing the playoffs for 3 years, I really hope they can find a way to make it back there next season as missing the playoffs for so long just sucks.

I will repost this for any new fans that don't know our farm system too well, it's from the previous Hamilton thread and covers what the farm might look like,

Lots of question marks for the off-season starting behind the bench and then how the roster will shape up. The influx of rookies next year makes it interesting to see how they will handle certain players, if they will bring them back or not.

G- Condon, Fucale

Need to find an ECHL starter, either on an NHL or AHL deal. Then at camp we'll need to see if Condon can steal Tok's job. Since Condon doesn't need waivers and Tok does, not sure it will happen. Both had impressive seasons in Hamilton as both were one of the top players on their team. I thought Tok was the MVP and Condon I'm not sure if I would call him the MVP over Hudon or Hensick as Condon was on a real hot streak but has cooled off at the end. He won 7 of his last 19 starts.

I doubt MacDonald is back. Don't know about Palazzese who is on an AHL contract. I never saw Brandon Whitney before so I don't know if he's just a fill in or if they would consider him on an AHL deal next year for ECHL depth.

D- Bennett, Dietz, Thrower, Lernout

are under contract. Pateryn has a one way and I don't expect him back. Tinordi won't be back since he wouldn't clear waivers. Will Didier be signed? I hope they do. What's going on with Nygren, they sorely need his help on the PP which looks to finish 30th in the league, dead last again (unless they score 6 PP goals tonight). Will they bring back Ellis? He's playing well so I don't see the harm, he has to clear waivers but that won't be an issue.

I don't see vets like Allen and Drewiske back although we need to replace them as we are short on LD's. Ellis is playing on the left but not sure they want to continue that if they were to re-sign him. Then there's the AHL contracts, Shea, Makowski and Finley. Finley has been a healthy scratch, would not bring him back. Shea is on the top pairing and playing his off-side. Could see them bringing him back but he's a RD and we are loaded with RD's. Same goes for Makowski, who I liked at Denver, if he would sign another AHL deal might be worth it for cheap depth.

F- Carr, Hudon, Ghetto, Crisp, Bozon, Fournier, Scherbak, McCarron, MacMillan, Grégoire

Going to be very interesting to see if any of the forwards can make the Habs out of camp or as a call up at some point. We know some will get called up but can they stick. Scherbak needs to show MT he won't hurt the team in his own end while putting up points. McCarron needs to show he can play well at both ends while playing his brand of hockey. Hudon needs to show that his lack of high end speed and strength won't hurt his two way game. Ghetto needs to show an improved defensive game. All eyes will be on these 3 at camp to see what they can do.

Then there's Thomas, Bournival and Dumont. Will they be re-signed and if so will we lose any to waivers? I don't know how bad Bournival's injury is, but got to think he will be back, would be a welcome addition to the Dogs and give the Habs cheap depth. Thomas as well, I know there was talk of teams being interested at the trade deadline, so if they can move them then that works too. Dumont hopefully will be back as he's one of the leaders. The other RFA's Tangradi and Bowman I would assume they are gone, I would bring back Tangradi but would think he would rather sign somewhere else.

Then there's the guys on AHL contracts, Dowell, Hensick, Sorkin, McNally and Macenauer. I would bring back Dowell if he would take an AHL deal, but not a big loss if not. Hensick is poor in his own end but we need offense so I would bring him back but who knows if he would return. Sorkin it would depend on other moves, if there's no room then he's gone but if not and he agreed to an AHL deal no harm. Macenauer must go. Not sure what to make of McNally, good size, skating, speed, perhaps he replaces Sorkin on an AHL deal. Saw him in the past at Dartmouth but don't recall him impressing.

Then there's the NCAA, CHL, Euro undrafted FA's that we could be looking at, trades, and any over aged draft picks that could also effect the roster.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Goaltending shouldn't be worriesome with Fucale and Condon.

Personally, I'm not a big believer in vets who take away ice time from the kids, but having a couple is always good. They really need to find a similar profile to Mathieu Darche, a big brother who has seen it all to guide the youngsters through the highs and lows of the marathon that is a hockey season in the AHL.

Not sure why your choice is between new coaching staff and new head coach....Pretty sure you have to unfortunately also add.....stays the same. Geez, you might even see some extensions....

Honestly, I really don't know what to expect. We haven't had any indications for a way or the other. From what I gather, Marciano is well liked by the org, being the one who brought Condon. Riendeau seems to be doing a hell of job, even if it's only as a consultant. I expect both Lebeau and Dufresne to stick, but if Lefebvre gets the hook, Bergevin might want to start on a clean slate.

For Bournival/Thomas/Dumont. I think Bournival is done with the team and I could see him get traded to Toronto. I think they'll keep Dumont with the Dogs, unless he's looking for a bigger contract/ a chance at the big league with another team. Thomas I really don't know.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
What was McNally like for Hamilton?

He left a good impression in his short tryout. Good sized guy that plays with an edge and has a reasonable skill level. We haven't been all that lucky with Darmouth alums in the last few years so i'm not setting my hopes TOO high. But he could be a bottom six project down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad