2015/16 Roster Building, Trade, FA, Thread

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
When the discussions around the availability of young Jeff surfaced, my hope (and I think this has been proven out) was that he was only going to be traded for a significant overpayment. To me, that's the key when you trade young, supremely skilled assets. You've got to not only address a team need with these types of transactions, you cannot open up a parallel hole in another area for the team. So I always envisioned that any trade for a player like Skinner would only be consumated if there was a clear win for the Canes.

For example, if we did make a trade for a young Top 4 blueliner with Skins going the other way, I'd hope that we got back a forward prospect or player as well. Otherwise, I'd prefer patience to find that defender. We are in a much better position on the back end than we were this time last year. We cannot say the say on the offensive side of the rink.

I'd like to see the depth of our forwards improved for the long run, but I also would like us to make some moves to help us in the short- and mid-term...not to sacrifice the future for the short-term, but to make smart asset management decisions to merely keep the team competitive now and in the future.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Francis was fairly adiment about adding another top 4 defenseman and top 6 forward. Since he is unlikely to get either in FA, I can only assume that he has a couple trade targets.

I missed this, but if true - and he manages to do it without giving up much from the current NHL line up, then we might actually be a bubble team.

(With some luck, and players performing to potential)

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I looked it up, Skinner had 13 less points last season on the PP alone. His #s at EV strength obviously took a nose dive as well (10 less points) but the PP isn't a Peters system issue. And if he's not scoring on the PP but the PP is performing it has no actual impact on the team other than Skinner's numbers. I just hope he and Lindholm are attached at the hip the season because they should complement each other so well.

I would go

Staal-Staal-Nestrasil
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-Nash-Terry
Malone-McClement-whoever earns it

Does that suck? Yes it does. But that's what we are left with right now. I think watching that top line in all its largeness could be pretty entertaining.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don't know much about either Wallmark or Ryan- do either of them have a shot at sticking in Raleigh? There is a glut of forwards that will be competing with each other, if nothing else.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I don't know much about either Wallmark or Ryan- do either of them have a shot at sticking in Raleigh? There is a glut of forwards that will be competing with each other, if nothing else.

If by glut you mean a lot of AHL level talent competing for NHL jobs? Then yes. That is exactly what will happen.

I'm not exactly sure how that jives with RF's approach to not rushing the youngsters, but whatever. I think a few cheap vets will be the way to go, at least for this year.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
There is also the possibility Dwyer re-signs a one year deal for peanuts when he realizes he has no value.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. If they're all playing for jobs it'll be the best way to separate the wheat from the chaff. Some of these guys may be able to stick and some surely won't, but at least they'll be getting a shake. Why pay some FA a mil and a half when one of our kids can pop the same 5 pts on the season for half the price? Especially if the plan is to suck anyway

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Wingers are signing for cheap. There are still some decent options left. Still think we sign one more guy.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I looked it up, Skinner had 13 less points last season on the PP alone. His #s at EV strength obviously took a nose dive as well (10 less points) but the PP isn't a Peters system issue. And if he's not scoring on the PP but the PP is performing it has no actual impact on the team other than Skinner's numbers. I just hope he and Lindholm are attached at the hip the season because they should complement each other so well.

I would go

Staal-Staal-Nestrasil
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-Nash-Terry

Does that suck? Yes it does. But that's what we are left with right now. I think watching that top line in all its largeness could be pretty entertaining.

As currently configured, I'd have a 3rd line of Nestrasil/Nash/Terry, move Gerbe to the 4th line as the Dwyer replacement, and hope to sign a Top 6 reclamation project.

Wallmark is "slight" (to be kind) and Ryan is totally unproven (hasn't stopped us in the past). IF Wallmark made the team, he'd likely be slotted as a 3C and Nash would be moved to the 4th line. But none of this makes sense. We have to be planning on packaging a player. a pick, and/or a prospect for forward help.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

I would go

Staal-Staal-Nestrasil
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-Nash-Terry

I don't think it's as bad as it seems.

That top line is good. They'll dominate possession every night and be tough to score against. They won't score as much as a first line should though.

I like that second line a lot. Skinner is already an above average second liner. I think Lindholm takes the step to being one this year as well, and I think Rask becomes a serviceable 2C this year. That line has it all, goal scorer, playmaker, do-it-all guy in the middle.

Third line is bad, no two ways about it. It's the biggest weakness on the team.

Fourth line is pretty solid for what it is.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
^ Its not Buffalo last year bad but it's clearly bottom 6 or so bad. On a good team it's two 2nd lines and 2 4th lines. But if you configure it that way I would at least be entertained, which is all I'm looking for at this point.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 9m9 minutes ago
Hearing a lot of chatter on the trade front. #stlblues

Looks like Blues might be trading.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Buffalo Sabres roster from early 2014 to our projected roster upcoming for 2015:

BUFFALO SABRES (NOVEMBER 2014)

LINE COMBINATIONS
26 Matt Moulson • 28 Zemgus Girgensons • 63 Tyler Ennis
82 Marcus Foligno • 19 Cody Hodgson • 21 Drew Stafford
65 Brian Flynn • 17 Torrey Mitchell • 12 Brian Gionta
36 Patrick Kaleta • 8 Cody McCormick • 80 Chris Stewart

DEFENSE PAIRS
4 Josh Georges • 57 Tyler Myers
55 Rasmus Ristolainen • 51 Nikita Zadarov
6 Mike Weber • 41 Andrej Meszaros

GOALIES
1 Jhonas Enroth
34 Michal Neuvirth

CAROLINA HURRICANES (OCTOBER 2015)

LINE COMBINATIONS
12 Eric Staal • 11 Jordan Staal • 15 Andrej Nestrasil
53 Jeff Skinner • 49 Viktor Rask • 16 Elias Lindholm
14 Nathan Gerbe • 20 Riley Nash • 25 Chris Terry
24 Brad Malone • 18 Jay McClement • 22 Zach Boychuk

DEFENSE PAIRS
65 Ron Hainsey • 28 Justin Faulk
2 Noah Hanafin • 21 James Wisniewski
7 Ryan Murphy • 47 Michael Jordan

GOALIES
30 Cam Ward
31 Eddie Lack

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
For Skinner, I'd want Scherbek + DLR. Or maybe something like Gallagher and a small +. MAYBE I'd do Scherbek + Desharnais + a solid prospect at forward or D, depending on the prospect. I have no interest in McCarron.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
For Skinner, I'd want Scherbek + DLR. Or maybe something like Gallagher and a small +. MAYBE I'd do Scherbek + Desharnais + a solid prospect at forward or D, depending on the prospect. I have no interest in McCarron.

Scherbek would have to be part of any deal. I also think McCarron could be a piece but not a centerpiece. We would have to get somebody back that is an NHL player who can put up 40+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad