2015/16 Roster Building, Trade, FA, Thread

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I notice that other teams have a thread like this where the discussion occurs about future roster building and we seem to discuss it in many different forums so I thought it would be good to have 1 place to discuss it. Also what we'd like to see happen, etc...

Next year, the following guys are currently signed and unless traded, will be on the roster.

Forwards signed (9): E. Staal, J. Staal, J. Skinner, A. Semin, E. Lindholm, N. Gerbe, J. McClement, V. Rask, B. Malone
Forwards RFA (3): Nash, Terry, Nestrasil
Forwards UFA (1): Dwyer

Defense signed (5): Faulk, Hainsey, Murphy, Liles, Biega
Defense RFA: (2): Jordan, Rissanen
Defense UFA: (2): Bellemore, Hillen

So what do you think the line-up will look like next year? What moves do you want the team to make, whether for next season of future seasons?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If they keep the same budget as last year ($59 million) then they currently have a total of $4 million to spend on those RFAs plus UFAs.

Nestrasil and Nash could make that $4 million between them. This leaves the Canes with almost zero to spend at the current budget.

So go wild guys.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Let's say dream-world the Canes can spend to the Cap. So they have $10 million in space. I spend it all on D. Find some way to get rid of Liles and save some cash.

$5.5 million for Sekera
$4 million for Oduya

E. Staal - J. Staal - Nestrasil
Skinner - Lindholm - Semin
(Edit) Gerbe - Rask - Nash
Malone - McClement - Checker

Sekera - Faulk
Oduya - Murphy
Hainsey - Jordan
Biega

This is assuming neither Fleury or 2015 pick make the team.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If they keep the same budget as last year ($59 million) then they currently have a total of $4 million to spend on those RFAs plus UFAs.

Nestrasil and Nash could make that $4 million between them. This leaves the Canes with almost zero to spend at the current budget.

So go wild guys.

I think if Nestrasil and Nash make $3 million between them, we've got a problem. But I agree that there isn't much available room as the roster is currently constructed. I also think with the amount of money available in 2016, he might hold off on making any more budget cuts just for the sake of it.

Honestly I don't see a lot of excitement this off-season.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Let's say dream-world the Canes can spend to the Cap. So they have $10 million in space. I spend it all on D. Find some way to get rid of Liles and save some cash.

$5.5 million for Sekera
$4 million for Oduya

E. Staal - J. Staal - Nestrasil
Skinner - Lindholm - Semin
Checker - Rask - Nash
Malone - McClement - Checker

Sekera - Faulk
Oduya - Murphy
Hainsey - Jordan
Biega

This is assuming neither Fleury or 2015 pick make the team.

Gerbe?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Francis will have to get creative, but I see some changes happening. I think we can overspend a bit this year because it'll balance out next year with Ward and Eric hopefully resigning for far less than they are making now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'll be very surprised if Francis makes any big UFA signings / trades or any big changes for that matter, as that won't come until some of these contracts (Staal, Ward, Liles, etc..) expire the following season. That's both good and bad. Bad, in that I think they'll struggle again next year. Good, in that it means Francis is more committed to a longer term plan of drafting and developing.

My guess is he'll sign Gleason to another 1 year type deal and that's about it. A lot of it depends on who they draft though (D or F), but I assume it's likely he'll play next year given the quality at the top of the draft. I also think that, right or wrong, Francis will do everything he can to get rid of Semin, but I doubt he'll be successful.

I see the forwards being the same group as now, - Terry, - Dwyer, + who they draft (if it's a fwd), + 1 checker. I see the defense being: Faulk, Hainsey, Murphy, Liles, Gleason, Hillen, and one of Biega/Jordan.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'll be very surprised if Francis makes any big UFA signings / trades or any big changes for that matter, as that won't come until some of these contracts (Staal, Ward, Liles, etc..) expire the following season. That's both good and bad. Bad, in that I think they'll struggle again next year. Good, in that it means Francis is more committed to a longer term plan of drafting and developing.

My guess is he'll sign Gleason to another 1 year type deal and that's about it. A lot of it depends on who they draft though (D or F), but I assume it's likely he'll play next year given the quality at the top of the draft. I also think that, right or wrong, Francis will do everything he can to get rid of Semin, but I doubt he'll be successful.

I see the forwards being the same group as now, - Terry, - Dwyer, + who they draft (if it's a fwd), + 1 checker. I see the defense being: Faulk, Hainsey, Murphy, Liles, Gleason, Hillen, and one of Biega/Jordan.

Everything you say makes a ton of sense, but I still feel Francis will do something. what that something is, remains to be seen, but I'd be money on it. This team needs to mix something up and even if we miss the playoffs again next year, which I think we will, the team will need to show some tangible improvement. ie: playing meaningful games in Feb//Mar and at least "being in the hunt"

Another bottom five finish has to be out of the question imo.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Everything you say makes a ton of sense, but I still feel Francis will do something. what that something is, remains to be seen, but I'd be money on it. This team needs to mix something up and even if we miss the playoffs again next year, which I think we will, the team will need to show some tangible improvement. ie: playing meaningful games in Feb//Mar and at least "being in the hunt"

Another bottom five finish has to be out of the question imo.

I'm torn and not sure I agree. Of course I want to see tangible improvement, but I don't want to see moves made just to temporarily get us marginally better. Great, so we miss the playoffs again and now get a #12 pick instead of a #5 pick. Has that accomplished anything?

For me, either make significant changes to go in a totally different direction now, which I'd be ok with, or ride out another year where Staal, Ward, Liles, etc. are in their last year. During that time, do what you can to collect more picks/assets (at the deadline for instance), give our young players (Fleury, McKeown, McGinn, etc..) more time to develop.

Let me ask you this. What situation would you rather have:

1) Canes play meaningful games in Feb, but miss the playoffs and pick 12-14.
2) Canes our out of it early, make deadline moves for Staal, Ward/Khudobin, etc...and pick in the top 5.

I'm not saying go all "Edmonton" here, but marginally better won't help us in the short or long term IMO.

EDIT: and I'm convinced Francis won't be able to sign any significant UFAs even if he wanted to. Carolina isn't really a attractive landing spot right now.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

Agreed on all of this, but I think they re-sign Dwyer (for cheap). Seems like the type of guy Peters wants around. I also hope you are wrong about that defense, holy ****.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm not saying trading away young talent for guys in their 30s who can win us a few extra games, I'm talking more along the lines of trading picks and 18 year olds for guys who're like 22ish, who've already done their service in junior and a year or two in the AHL, who're ready to perhaps take a shot at an every day role.

This team needs to get younger and more talented, but I would be very willing to trade picks and teenagers for younger guys who're a bit more mature and developed.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I notice that other teams have a thread like this where the discussion occurs about future roster building and we seem to discuss it in many different forums so I thought it would be good to have 1 place to discuss it. Also what we'd like to see happen, etc...

Next year, the following guys are currently signed and unless traded, will be on the roster.

Forwards signed (9): E. Staal, J. Staal, J. Skinner, A. Semin, E. Lindholm, N. Gerbe, J. McClement, V. Rask, B. Malone
Forwards RFA (3): Nash, Terry, Nestrasil
Forwards UFA (1): Dwyer

Defense signed (5): Faulk, Hainsey, Murphy, Liles, Biega
Defense RFA: (2): Jordan, Rissanen
Defense UFA: (2): Bellemore, Hillen

So what do you think the line-up will look like next year? What moves do you want the team to make, whether for next season of future seasons?

Eric-Jordan-Lindholm
Crouse-Rask-Semin
Gerbe-Nash-Nestrasil
Malone-McClement-Dwyer

Faulk-Skinner trade
Hainsey-Gleason
Murphy-Liles-Fleury-Biega-Whatever

Let Jordan, Rissanen, Bellemore, Terry, and Hillen wander off into the woods.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
peter_tsai_food_bojangles-4.jpg

vs.

cook-out-tray.JPG

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!!

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Eric-Jordan-Lindholm
Crouse-Rask-Semin
Gerbe-Nash-Nestrasil
Malone-McClement-Dwyer

Faulk-Skinner trade
Hainsey-Gleason
Murphy-Liles-Fleury-Biega-Whatever

Let Jordan, Rissanen, Bellemore, Terry, and Hillen wander off into the woods.

Holy ****

I would rather trade 5/6 overall than trade Skinner as a result of wasting that pick on Crouse.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm not saying trading away young talent for guys in their 30s who can win us a few extra games, I'm talking more along the lines of trading picks and 18 year olds for guys who're like 22ish, who've already done their service in junior and a year or two in the AHL, who're ready to perhaps take a shot at an every day role.

This team needs to get younger and more talented, but I would be very willing to trade picks and teenagers for younger guys who're a bit more mature and developed.

Say Nashville would trade Seth Jones for Strome/Marner who falls to 5. They have D and need C depth, Canes get a potential top-pairing D who is already 2 years NHL developed and Nashville gets a 1C prospect who is a year out.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Say Nashville would trade Seth Jones for Strome/Marner who falls to 5. They have D and need C depth, Canes get a potential top-pairing D who is already 2 years NHL developed and Nashville gets a 1C prospect who is a year out.

I would do it, but I doubt Nashville would. They are in win now mode and one of the best teams in the league. If they were a bottom feeder like us I think they might, but not where they are atm.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Put a gun to my head, Bojangles because cookout offers no Canes promo deals.

Fast foward to the trade deadline and if we're completey out of it by then, Staal, Ward, and Khudobin will be big ticket items and sell off whoever else that isn't Skinner, Lindholm, J.Staal, and Faulk.

Gerbe-J.Staal-Semin
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Terry-Nash-Nestrasil
Malone-McClement-Dwyer

Oduya-Faulk
Hainsey-Murphy
Liles-Biega

???

I keep hearing that Peters quoted about getting a top pairing defenseman in the offseason, and obviously Oduya's not that but these moves will be probably dictated by who we end up drafting anyways, so it's too early to tell. But we could cash in on trade deadline day just as easily next year.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Trade Skinner and our dog **** offense gets even worse. For all his faults, in 5 NHL seasons, Skinner has hit 30 goals twice, 20 once (and is 2 away with 6 games remaining from hitting 20 again), and was on pace to hit at least 20 over 82 games in the lockout shortened season.

I know we need to improve our defense badly, but I don't want to further cripple our offense in order to do so.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Holy ****

I would rather trade 5/6 overall than trade Skinner as a result of wasting that pick on Crouse.

People say Marner would be arguably a #1 pick most years, and ISS thinks Crouse is better than Marner. Therefore, Crouse is even better than a #1 pick most years.

Getting a better than #1 pick most years like Crouse at #5 is a big deal!

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Not saying it's gonna happen but would love to acquire M. Johansson from Capitals. He seems to be expendable for next season. He's good playmaker, could be useful as LW/ part time center.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

That's exactly the mentality JR used that I absolutely detest. First, If a guy is worth a lot, what team is going to trade a very good 22ish year old? Answer: None. Secondly, If he's not worth much, that's exactly what JR did that made this mess in the first place. Example: Trading picks for guys like Sanguinetti.

I get what you are saying, but unless it's a deadline deal, teams aren't going to trade 22 year olds that are good players for picks/prospects. I just don't see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad