2015/16 Roster Building, Trade, FA, Thread

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
What do you think of Murphy?
I suspect I'm higher on him that most. Sure, he has his deficiencies defensively related to his size and strength, which everyone knows. He also struggles with the angles he takes and his overall gap control. He'll improve there, as I believe much it traces back to his ability to play "catch up" with his speed at the lower levels and thus didn't he focus as much on developing sound fundamentals. He can also stand to use his stick more effectively on D and needs to have more poise with the puck and better anticipation in his own end.

He has a unique skill set offensively that makes him too valuable to give up on at 22. He is the only Carolina blueliner who can consistently enter the zone on his own, whether at ES or on the PP (Faulk and Liles can occasionally but not at the same level) and even when the blueline is stacked. I think his poise on the PP is quite good and that he's the best natural PPQB on the roster. He doesn't have Faulk's shot but he has a very quick, compact shot and sees lanes extremely well on the PP. His passing on the PP is usually crisp, accurate and decisive.

With Faulk and whoever logging big minutes, Murphy should be able to play more sheltered bottom-pairing minutes again this year. If he ups his game even more on the PP while improving his D play, he can be a good contributor.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
Murphy

I suspect I'm higher on him that most. Sure, he has his deficiencies defensively related to his size and strength, which everyone knows. He also struggles with the angles he takes and his overall gap control. He'll improve there, as I believe much it traces back to his ability to play "catch up" with his speed at the lower levels and thus didn't he focus as much on developing sound fundamentals. He can also stand to use his stick more effectively on D and needs to have more poise with the puck and better anticipation in his own end.

He has a unique skill set offensively that makes him too valuable to give up on at 22. He is the only Carolina blueliner who can consistently enter the zone on his own, whether at ES or on the PP (Faulk and Liles can occasionally but not at the same level) and even when the blueline is stacked. I think his poise on the PP is quite good and that he's the best natural PPQB on the roster. He doesn't have Faulk's shot but he has a very quick, compact shot and sees lanes extremely well on the PP. His passing on the PP is usually crisp, accurate and decisive.

With Faulk and whoever logging big minutes, Murphy should be able to play more sheltered bottom-pairing minutes again this year. If he ups his game even more on the PP while improving his D play, he can be a good contributor.

I agree, murphy has an upside... Speed as mentioned, and just has to see the whole ice... which comes with more playing time.. Good post..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad