Prospect Info: 2015-16 Prospects and Marlies - Brown injured!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
With all the nice things Zaitsev had to say about Toronto and the huge rumours he was signing (probably couldn't get out of his KHL deal), barring a massive disconnect, he'll sign with us.
I couldn't agree more. So excited we are now seeking out and drawing players to the club from varied sources.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Seems like good news, know little about the player but who is Jeff Veilette and how is he in the loop?

Here is Jeff Veillette's LinkedIn profile:

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jeffler

ZXvzXCL.png

nEGKLJD.png

rpp1Wjw.png

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
jeffler got started right here on hfboards iirc, and has worked his butt up the chain a bit. good for him.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Looks like the Marlies and all the major junior prospects are in action tonight. A big night for following the prospects.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
jeffler got started right here on hfboards iirc, and has worked his butt up the chain a bit. good for him.

How is he in the loop on where a Russian prospect may sign?
Seems like he's looking for attention.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
How is he in the loop on where a Russian prospect may sign?
Seems like he's looking for attention.

Not sure. I followed him on twitter for a while but eventually had to stop. He seemed like a diva and just crapped on the team all the time now. Can only read/listen to so much of beating a dead horse.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

sparks, just 22, befriended condon and darling as part of a facebook-based, online goalie community called ggsu, linking 18,000 goalies around the world. Sparks runs summer camps in chicago, los angeles and toronto – he calls himself “dictator, legends camp owner†on the website – and has worked with both goaltenders.

He hasn’t had quite the battle that condon and darling had. But he did fall to the east coast hockey league last season after being the backup with the ahl toronto marlies the year before, and found himself fat, out-of-shape and battling persistent groin injuries.

After being no. 4 on the organizational depth chart, he fell behind james reimer, jonathan bernier, antoine bibeau and christopher gibson, and almost out of the club’s plans altogether.

Now, that’s all changed. After giving up sweets and junk food in the off-season, sparks dropped 25 pounds and last week was named ahl player-of-the-week.

If there’s another darling or condon in the offing, it might be this youngster.

“i have to give the leafs all the credit in the world for not giving up on an ignorant kid,†he says.

The leafs had drafted sparks 190th overall in 2011, and watched him graduate from the chicago mission program to the ohl guelph storm. He was good, but he just didn’t work at it.

“i was always a kid who played hockey because i liked it, and i just kind of rode that up to this level,†he says. “as far as the whole working out, polished professional thing, that wasn’t on my radar for the first 16, 17 years of my life. Until i got to junior, it wasn’t anything i ever thought about.

“in guelph i was playing 60 games a year in that shape. I didn’t think i had any reason to change. I was told from day one with the leafs about that, but i’m stubborn in that i like to do things my own way, and eventually i learned.â€

sparks is 6-foot-2 with long sideburns and a laid back, almost surfer-like vibe. But clearly, something has clicked, and there’s a quiet level of excitement about him in an organization that has struggled to find consistency and stability in the net since ed belfour left town.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The main reason we even know this guy's name: Mark Gandler.

There is nothing to have stopped him from signing with the Leafs or any other organization by now.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

He writes things but hasn't really worked up to anywhere TBH. Still doesn't know anything any of us don't and doesn't have anything particularly interesting to say.

To me he's still "that guy who made the website openly trying to run McCabe out of town after the own goal".

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
“i was always a kid who played hockey because i liked it, and i just kind of rode that up to this level,” he says. “as far as the whole working out, polished professional thing, that wasn’t on my radar for the first 16, 17 years of my life. Until i got to junior, it wasn’t anything i ever thought about.

“in guelph i was playing 60 games a year in that shape. I didn’t think i had any reason to change. I was told from day one with the leafs about that, but i’m stubborn in that i like to do things my own way, and eventually i learned.”

sparks is 6-foot-2 with long sideburns and a laid back, almost surfer-like vibe. But clearly, something has clicked, and there’s a quiet level of excitement about him in an organization that has struggled to find consistency and stability in the net since ed belfour left town.

This is a pattern I bet you see with many failed prospects. It'd be a great thing for the Leafs if Sparks emerged in the future goalie category plus it would be a great example for others in the organization that it's never too late to "grow up" as professionals.

Last edited:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Lots of jealousy about Jeffler ITT! The guy gets to attend Leafs and Marlies games with press credentials, he may be a C-list media personality, but he still gets to network a bit with the A-listers and people behind the scenes. So yes, he is more informed than most here, and putting in his dues. There was a time when Elliotte Friedman was just a random intern at The Score, remember.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lots of jealousy about Jeffler ITT! The guy gets to attend Leafs and Marlies games with press credentials, he may be a C-list media personality, but he still gets to network a bit with the A-listers and people behind the scenes. So yes, he is more informed than most here, and putting in his dues. There was a time when Elliotte Friedman was just a random intern at The Score, remember.

I'm certainly not jealous of him, never heard of him. You do seem a little envious though.

I was just curious how he has inside info on a Russian prospect.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Not jealous - I wouldn't go to a Leafs game for free right now. I can afford $10 for a Marlies game. Good for him if he's doing what he wants to do but in my personal opinion I did not enjoy what he had to share over twitter.

I'm certainly not jealous of him, never heard of him. You do seem a little envious though.

Pretty much.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

He doesn't tweet that kind of stuff very often so I'm inclined to believe it.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
This is where the insider info came from:

(Nov12) Friedman on Zaitsev

26. The other strange one was how little Russia used Nikita Zaitsev, the free-agent-defenceman-to-be. “We were hoping to see more of him,†the above scout mentioned. Another noted the Russians used Boston pick Maxim Chudinov more than Zaitsev. Chudinov’s been loyal to the KHL and Zaitsev is leaving, which could be a big factor. By the way, everyone’s convinced he’s is going to Toronto. If someone wants to take the field, there’s money to be won.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canadiens-more-than-a-one-man-team/

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He doesn't tweet that kind of stuff very often so I'm inclined to believe it.

He also is friends with Steve Dangle who "produce highlight packs in english for the KHL's official YouTube channel with Andrey Osadchenko" and is also good friends with Andrey who is now a big time KHL media guy.

This is to say he does have some obvious connections to people who know the KHL really really well, but can never be sure with tweets about prospects intentions.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He also is friends with Steve Dangle who "produce highlight packs in english for the KHL's official YouTube channel with Andrey Osadchenko" and is also good friends with Andrey who is now a big time KHL media guy.

This is to say he does have some obvious connections to people who know the KHL really really well, but can never be sure with tweets about prospects intentions.

Thanks, that makes sense.

If you can call a kid with a blog a "journalist", then yes. Nothing more then click bait.

:laugh: That's why I put it in quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad