2015-16 OUA Thread

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
haven't followed West closely enough to make good ones

It doesn't matter if you've followed the west or not; predictions are futile. So instead of making actual predictions and looking like a fool, I'll just ride the fence with some general predictions:

- Western and Ryerson will finish in the top four.
- Windsor will have to battle to make the playoffs until the last weekend or so - but in this division, that could still mean a finish as high as 5th.
- Laurier and York will struggle to make the playoffs. But look for York's step to be forward, and Laurier's to be backwards.
- The rest of the pack - U of T, Waterloo, Guelph, Lakehead, Brock - are nearly interchangeable as far as standings go. Among that group, Waterloo and Lakehead are likely the favourites to get home ice in round 1.

Looking forward to another season of tight races in the country's most parity-rich division!

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
It doesn't matter if you've followed the west or not; predictions are futile. So instead of making actual predictions and looking like a fool, I'll just ride the fence with some general predictions:

- Western and Ryerson will finish in the top four.
- Windsor will have to battle to make the playoffs until the last weekend or so - but in this division, that could still mean a finish as high as 5th.
- Laurier and York will struggle to make the playoffs. But look for York's step to be forward, and Laurier's to be backwards.
- The rest of the pack - U of T, Waterloo, Guelph, Lakehead, Brock - are nearly interchangeable as far as standings go. Among that group, Waterloo and Lakehead are likely the favourites to get home ice in round 1.

Looking forward to another season of tight races in the country's most parity-rich division!

Agreed with most. Don't know if you have seen this:

http://issuu.com/ontariouniversityathletics/docs/2015_hockey_emag_final

Team by team stats from last year, along with key additions, key losses and some quotes from the coaches for each team that I stumbled across. This is the first year I have seen it. It was really well done.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Some interesting results on Friday night:
- UQTR blasts Toronto 10-5. Don't think that's the type of game either coach will be happy with.:yo:
- Queen's pounds RMC 7-1 in the Paladins' home opener. Looks like same old, same old after all for RMC, who can at least say they were the best team in Canada for a week. :laugh:
- Concordia pumps Ryerson 5-2 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. Statement win, Stingers a team to keep an eye on now. :popcorn:
- Elsewhere, McGill and Western prevailed as they should against UOIT and Brock respectively.

Key Games - Saturday 10/10
2:30 --> UQTR wraps up Toronto trip against Ryerson. Will be interesting to see if the Patriotes tighten up defensively.
7 --> McGill visits Carleton in a battle of two of the OUA East's clearcut Top-3. Liam Heelis, who McGill transferred in from Acadia, put up 3 points in his first game as a Redman on Friday at UOIT.
7:30 --> Waterloo goes to Windsor to face the Lancers. Both teams are 1-0 and gearing up to be playoff threats in 15-16.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Coaching staff named for the OUA's entry in the 2017 Winter Universiade.

Head Coach / Team Leader: Brett Gibson (Queen's University)
General Manger / Associate Coach: Brian Bourque (University of Waterloo)
Assistant Coach: Craig Duncanson (Laurentian University)
Assistant Coach: Marty Johnston (Carleton University)
Athletic Therapist: James Sawchuk (Queen's University)
Equipment Manager: Trevor Black (University of Waterloo)

Shameless plug alert: My story on Bourque and Gibson, and how they looked to the 2014 Olympic team to help define roles:

http://warriors.uwaterloo.ca/news/2015/10/15/MHOCKEY_1015152757.aspx

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I was reading the box score for Guelph's 1-0 win over Waterloo. It listed Andrew D'Agostini making 40 saves for the win. I was certain that he left school to turn pro? Maybe I imagined it.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Speaking of box scores, anyone check out the one for the Ryerson / Western game on Saturday? A 2-1 game going into the 3rd, and then 8 combined goals and SIXTY TWO combined shots in the 3rd. I can't think of a time where I've seen a game of organized hockey with that many shots in one period.

http://www.oua.ca/sports/mice/2015-16/boxscores/20151017_kt6e.xml

Big win for the Mustangs considering they only dressed 16 non-goalies and were playing their second game on back-to-back nights against a rested Ryerson

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I was reading the box score for Guelph's 1-0 win over Waterloo. It listed Andrew D'Agostini making 40 saves for the win. I was certain that he left school to turn pro? Maybe I imagined it.

No, D'Agostini stayed, but Nick Huard left and turned pro - perhaps that's who you were thinking.

This game was very much like the decisive game 3 between Waterloo and Guelph in last year's playoffs - Guelph was outplayed by a lot, and used their goaltender and some luck to eek out a win. In Saturday's case, Waterloo outshot Guelph 40-19, hit two goal posts, and had two goals disallowed as the net was dislodged just before the puck crossed the line.

I know that sounds like homer talk, but I swear it isn't :) Guelph stole the two points.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Coaching staff named for the OUA's entry in the 2017 Winter Universiade.

Head Coach / Team Leader: Brett Gibson (Queen's University)
General Manger / Associate Coach: Brian Bourque (University of Waterloo)
Assistant Coach: Craig Duncanson (Laurentian University)
Assistant Coach: Marty Johnston (Carleton University)
Athletic Therapist: James Sawchuk (Queen's University)
Equipment Manager: Trevor Black (University of Waterloo)

Shameless plug alert: My story on Bourque and Gibson, and how they looked to the 2014 Olympic team to help define roles:

http://warriors.uwaterloo.ca/news/2015/10/15/MHOCKEY_1015152757.aspx

Nice to see to ex-AUS guys (Gibby and Marty) make the big time.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Speaking of box scores, anyone check out the one for the Ryerson / Western game on Saturday? A 2-1 game going into the 3rd, and then 8 combined goals and SIXTY TWO combined shots in the 3rd. I can't think of a time where I've seen a game of organized hockey with that many shots in one period.

http://www.oua.ca/sports/mice/2015-16/boxscores/20151017_kt6e.xml

Big win for the Mustangs considering they only dressed 16 non-goalies and were playing their second game on back-to-back nights against a rested Ryerson

Never mind - they have since updated the shot totals, which now looks more realistic

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Concordia at UQTR tonight. Can't wait to see what kind of progression the Stingers have made.

Looks like their progression has been a pretty big one. Hung tough in a tough building to play in, falling 5-4 in OT.

Not saying they're ready to compete for the division, but the Stingers will surprise some top teams between now and the end of 15-16. :popcorn:

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Well this Concordia team is going to be interresting to see. They still have to get some things together, especially on the defensive part, but I really like what I saw wednesday from them. They'll be causing lots of headaches here and there this year.

With Maxime Clermont coming in between the pipes next year, and if they add defense, this will be a top 4 caliber team with some good assets like Roy, Hudon and Scott Oke.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Ryerson knocks off Guelph 4-2 yesterday. It was even hockey thru 1 with score 0-0. Rams came out flying in 2nd period scoring 3 goals.

Gilbert for Guelph had beauty goal put score 3-1 early in 3rd. Passingham continued to play well this year and made some really great saves

Final 4- 2 Ryerson

Thoughts:
Guelph will struggle score more 2 goals a game. They do have some players coming in 2nd semester that will help this situation and with Dagger strong play anything can happen

Ryerson has been hit with injury bug on Forward with Marchese/Fine/Terreri out. Rumour has it Cairns got concussion last night so he might be out for while

Ryerson was predicted by most be top 4 team in oua west and I still believe best is still to come

They do have 1 forward Kyle Blaney who score 13 G last year, ineligible due academics should be back 2nd semester and they have another OHL recruit upgrading English which will help and I sure they are keeping tabs on Marcus Hinds in Norfolk

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Carleton 9-2 over Waterloo tonight in what was likely the marquee matchup. Penalty minutes were 200 on the night: http://www.leaguestat.com/oua/MEN/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=24844. That margin of victory likely does not bode well for Laurier who I believe lost 3-0 and 7-0 to Carleton the past 2 years and play the Ravens tomorrow night after winning this afternoon against RMC.

So far the cross over games (by my count) show the OUA West winning 12 of the 23 games played thus far. After tomorrow's Laurier-Carleton game, it will likely even up at 12 a piece.

Standings are still too early to really look at, and strengths of schedule are often very different. York off to a strong 4-0-1 start after dropping their first game at Laurier. Guelph and Lakehead starting slower than expected.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Caught the Western/Concordia game last night. Very entertaining game. Western got out to a quick 3-1 lead but then the Stingers tied it on a pair of 5 on 3 powerplays before the end of the first. Stephen Gaskin scored the tying goal for Western with just under a minute left and with Greg Dodds pulled, and then scored the winner just before time ran out in the first overtime - similar goals from the high slot. Mustangs were very fortunate to pull this one out.

First game I've seen this season. Western has a young team and is much stronger offensively this year compared to last year when they had a lot of trouble scoring goals. They are too loose in their own end and this is the second week in a row they've allowed a load of goals after getting up early (Laurentian scored 6 straight on them last week to overcome a 4-0 deficit). I suspect this will correct itself as the season goes along because they've shown in several games they can play tight defense. This is the best Concordia team I've seen - they are also loose in their own end but they have some offensive talent - I suspect they will do well this year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So, after six games, RMC has more wins than Lakehead. Boy that program isn't on its best day.

IMO, Lakehead started going downhill right after they hosted the University Cup. Didn't they make some changes around the time (maybe even between the two years they hosted) with their coach or something? How are they doing attendance-wise these days, anyways?

lakeheadu

Mar 26, 2010
IMO, Lakehead started going downhill right after they hosted the University Cup. Didn't they make some changes around the time (maybe even between the two years they hosted) with their coach or something? How are they doing attendance-wise these days, anyways?

That was when they decided that it would be smart to bring in former captain, Joel Scherban, to coach the team with no previous coaching experience.

I've only missed a handful of home games over the past 15 years since we got the team. I wouldn't necessarily say that our teams have gotten worse. I'd argue that the rest of the OUA got significantly better. We had teams in the early years that would put up double digit goals in games but I don't think that those teams were more skilled than the ones in the middle years of the program that did not fare as well and possibly not even as skilled as some of the more recent teams.

As for this season, the results are somewhat expected. We lost our top scorer, Hammond, who was one of the best in the OUA for four years. The #2 scorer, Grondin, is also gone. On top of that, the two best defenceman from the past few years are also gone, in Fillman and Quesnele. Bruyere left as well, so half of the top 6 are gone on defense. We have 8 freshmen, 9 sophomores, 4 juniors and 5 seniors on the roster.

Our schedule has not been very friendly thus far either. We've played the current top 3 teams in the OUA East (McGill, UQTR, Queen's) 2x each. If we lose tonight, there's a very real chance that we drop the first 12 games, cause we play at Western and Windsor the next two weekends and they were atop the West standings the last I saw.

As for the attendance, it's typically just over 2000 now. 2000-2200 seems to be where it's at this season, though that is paid attendance and there have definitely been less people than that there on numerous occasions.

TomBull

Sep 12, 2007
That was when they decided that it would be smart to bring in former captain, Joel Scherban, to coach the team with no previous coaching experience.

Brilliant wasn't it? And how did that work out for Lakehead?

Then people wonder why STU fans in general think that the AD has no clue or that the writing is on the wall that the team is going to get axed. Even the general consensus by AUS fans on here about McAllisters hiring was similar. I don't think anyone thought to themselves it was a great plan. No, the plan was blame the media for creating a controversy and taking credit for naming a coach so quickly after Powers left.

So go ahead and take your shots at me for expressing what so many others feel in Fredericton. Can you say train wreck and who was the engineer?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I wouldn't necessarily say that our teams have gotten worse. I'd argue that the rest of the OUA got significantly better. We had teams in the early years that would put up double digit goals in games but I don't think that those teams were more skilled than the ones in the middle years of the program that did not fare as well and possibly not even as skilled as some of the more recent teams.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the CIS as a whole has gotten quite a bit better in the last 10-15 years. The same problem is plaguing St. Thomas right now....on paper they have had more talent the last two years than they have had in quite some time, but their record has actually gotten worse because everyone else is getting better as well.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
As for the attendance, it's typically just over 2000 now. 2000-2200 seems to be where it's at this season, though that is paid attendance and there have definitely been less people than that there on numerous occasions.

It is a real shame what has happened to the program. Especially considering the have the best attendance in the CIS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad