2015-16 OUA Thread

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Wish Saturday's games were at different times. Not sure which one to watch. Hopefully at least one goes into overtime.

I was thinking the same thing. The Queen's Cup game was always on the schedule with a 7pm start time, even before the teams were known. If Guelph is bussing to Ottawa today, that may be why an evening start at Carleton was chosen.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I remember a couple years ago the Queen's Cup was in the afternoon. They should do something like having the bronze medal game at 4 or 5 and then the Queen's Cup at 7 or 8.

I'll probably be shuffling between the two games unless one gets out of hand, but most likely focusing on the UQTR/Western game as that has more importance to UNB.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I remember a couple years ago the Queen's Cup was in the afternoon. They should do something like having the bronze medal game at 4 or 5 and then the Queen's Cup at 7 or 8.

I'll probably be shuffling between the two games unless one gets out of hand, but most likely focusing on the UQTR/Western game as that has more importance to UNB.

It's moved around over the years. The one I remember was UQTR at Western in 2002 that had an 11am start time to accommodate TV (was on CHCH Hamilton, which used to be THE OUA broadcaster). Neither team was impressed (UQTR won).

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UQTR beats Western 4-3 in (ot) - Mustangs had two separate two goal leads in the game. They were really outworking Les Patriots early on. Mustangs goalie Greg Dodds made one of the nicest passes you are ever going to see for the Mustangs goal. Les Patriots tied the game with less than 3min to play. Had an overwhelming feeling that they were going to win it in ot. Think the winning goal was just over 5min in.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
UQTR beats Western 4-3 in (ot) - Mustangs had two separate two goal leads in the game. They were really outworking Les Patriots early on. Mustangs goalie Greg Dodds made one of the nicest passes you are ever going to see for the Mustangs goal. Les Patriots tied the game with less than 3min to play. Had an overwhelming feeling that they were going to win it in ot. Think the winning goal was just over 5min in.

One of the great mysteries in this game, at all levels, is why teams play a style that creates success and builds a lead, only to abandon that and sit back and try to protect the lead. Western led on the scoreboard, the shot clock, and territorial play through the first two periods, but UQTR dominated in the 3rd, outshooting Western 19-4. You just can't sit back like that against a quality team like UQTR.

I don't expect much from Western at the Nationals. In the end, I think this season will be considered a success. They had 15 rookies, battled through all kinds of injury adversity, and a good playoff run - all of this experience should serve them well for the next few years. But they need to recruit some scoring.

This team reminds me a lot of the 2008-09 Mustang team that was also young, had a good but not great regular season, and then won an unexpected Queen's Cup. They went on to finish first in the OUA West for the next 5 consecutive seasons.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
One of the great mysteries in this game, at all levels, is why teams play a style that creates success and builds a lead, only to abandon that and sit back and try to protect the lead. Western led on the scoreboard, the shot clock, and territorial play through the first two periods, but UQTR dominated in the 3rd, outshooting Western 19-4. You just can't sit back like that against a quality team like UQTR.

I don't expect much from Western at the Nationals. In the end, I think this season will be considered a success. They had 15 rookies, battled through all kinds of injury adversity, and a good playoff run - all of this experience should serve them well for the next few years. But they need to recruit some scoring.

This team reminds me a lot of the 2008-09 Mustang team that was also young, had a good but not great regular season, and then won an unexpected Queen's Cup. They went on to finish first in the OUA West for the next 5 consecutive seasons.

I don't think Western sat back, I just think UQTR found their rythm. It's never easy for a team to have a 10 hr drive and no morning skate to get their legs going. Coaches have told me that time and time again. It's often like that for teams from the West division coming in the Colisee on a friday night.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Carleton 4, Guelph 1

Ravens were the better team from start to finish. Guelph was without Amestoy, Lepine, Strand on the night, and De Fulviis left the game in the first period- they never threatened.

Ugly moment at the end of the game when Guelph F and former AHL enforcer Kyle Neuber got into it with Ravens goalie Pat Killeen. Killeen gave him a shot and Neuber retaliated by jumping him, sitting on his chest, and punching him in the face 5-6 times.

Carleton will face CW-champ Saskatchewan in the 2-v-7 quarterfinal matchup at nationals. :popcorn:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Curious as to why Guelph decided to bus to Carleton yesterday and then play that night...the Gryphons looked sluggish all game (whether that was the reason or not I don't know). Seems like it would have made more sense to get into town on Friday and stay the night.

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
Not a fan of the way Guelph conducted themselves in their last two games. Ryerson gets blown out and a bunch of Guelph players think it's a great time to chirp Ryerson after every goal. Guelph goes down 5-1 to Western and decide to try and bait Mustangs into bad penalties and squirt water at the coaching staff. Not exactly shocked to see how they went out against Carleton.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Curious as to why Guelph decided to bus to Carleton yesterday and then play that night...the Gryphons looked sluggish all game (whether that was the reason or not I don't know). Seems like it would have made more sense to get into town on Friday and stay the night.

I think UNB bused to X the same day that they played game #2.
X bused up the day prior to playing game #1

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Not a fan of the way Guelph conducted themselves in their last two games. Ryerson gets blown out and a bunch of Guelph players think it's a great time to chirp Ryerson after every goal. Guelph goes down 5-1 to Western and decide to try and bait Mustangs into bad penalties and squirt water at the coaching staff. Not exactly shocked to see how they went out against Carleton.

Not something you'd expect from a Shawn Camp-coached team. Was running through Guelph's seniors list during the handshakes and realized it was Neuber's last game. Going out with a bang. :laugh:

A broadcaster in the OUA West told me that Neuber went to Guelph to get away from the 'enforcer' game he was forced to play in the minors, yet racked up 233 PIMS in 75 games as a Gryphon. Assume he'll go back to being an ECHL/AHL puncher?

Last edited:

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
I'm still trying to figure out why, in the last minute of a 4-1 game, Killeen thought it necessary to give Neuber a blocker to the back of the head.

It made Neuber look bad, but Killeen had it coming to him for that shot.

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
Not something you'd expect from a Shawn Camp-coached team. Was running through Guelph's seniors list during the handshakes and realized it was Neuber's last game. Going out with a bang. :laugh:

A broadcaster in the OUA West told me that Neuber went to Guelph to get away from the 'enforcer' game he was forced to play in the minors, yet racked up 233 PIMS in 75 games as a Gryphon. Assume he'll go back to being an ECHL/AHL puncher?

Definitely not something I'd expect from a Shawn Camp team. I really like that guy, have a ton of respect for him.

I think with Neuber he really did come to the CIS to get away from being an enforcer, that's what Victor Terreri did with Ryerson. Having said that, when you've been an enforcer for as long as Neuber has, it's nearly impossible to just stop having the same natural reactions and emotions a tough guy goes through in the game. Not giving him a pass for some of the things he's done, but I think it's unreasonable to expect a guy with 526 OHL PIMS and 156 PIMS to walk into CIS and switch off the enforcer tendencies.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Interesting news out of Waterloo: Men's hockey coach Brian Bourque, who's been serving as the interim Associate AD since November, will continue in the dual role for at least the next year.
The move will also be accompanied by the hiring of a full-time men's hockey assistant coach, which is pretty rare among CIS programs. Expect a hiring announcement within the next few weeks.
Story: http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6394225-bourque-to-keep-dual-uw-roles/

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
I know this is years late but lakeheads biggest issue is goaltending mccune was great Whitley was one of the best oua goalies ever Moir and Dupuis were servicable and with a solid team around them could perform but since it has been nothing but trash jeff bosch sucked macdonald couldn't stop a beach ball devin green was solid up until this year Renyard is solid hopefully adding more puck moving defenceman will help or maybe Weyrick is gonna be amazing. Mental mistakes were a huge issue last year passing the puck up the middle and falling behind in the 1st 5 minutes killed us its impossible to play from behind every damn night

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Interesting news out of Waterloo: Men's hockey coach Brian Bourque, who's been serving as the interim Associate AD since November, will continue in the dual role for at least the next year.
The move will also be accompanied by the hiring of a full-time men's hockey assistant coach, which is pretty rare among CIS programs. Expect a hiring announcement within the next few weeks.
Story: Bourque to keep dual UW roles

Another difference I guess with the AUS conference. I believe every team now has a full-time paid assistant coach.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Lakehead should be improved however not sure right now if they’ll make playoffs
I think they're close suspensions from the ryerson game in november hurt Soustal missed time with an injury their also was some serious late season chemistry between Soustal and Lamframboise if they can get decent goaltending and past the mental mistakes it could be a good year

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think they're close suspensions from the ryerson game in november hurt Soustal missed time with an injury their also was some serious late season chemistry between Soustal and Lamframboise if they can get decent goaltending and past the mental mistakes it could be a good year

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. It is almost a travesty that the OUA team with by far the best fan support is mired in mediocrity.

Reactions: dm8895

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. It is almost a travesty that the OUA team with by far the best fan support is mired in mediocrity.

Wilkins just took over last year Bill mcdonalds recruiting was very questionable but i think Wilkins has had 2 good recruit classes in a row so hopefully some improvement this year 2000 fans a game is alot be nice to get it back to the 3000 days

Reactions: dm8895 and Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad