18. Most underrated head coach:Bill Stewart
19. Best Jerseys:Kitchener Rangers
20. Worst Jerseys:Windsor Spitfires

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
RayzorIsDull said:
3. Most overrated team:Windsor Spitfires

Can we pin this sucker for future reference? :laugh: I'm beginning to think you do this stuff JUST to get a rise out of people. It's not possible to love them the amount you did (never forget the cheesy grins during Brandon afterparty) and become this bitter towards them.... is it?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Can we pin this sucker for future reference? :laugh: I'm beginning to think you do this stuff JUST to get a rise out of people. It's not possible to love them the amount you did (never forget the cheesy grins during Brandon afterparty) and become this bitter towards them.... is it?

Not sure why I need to validate my opinion to you. I just think they lack depth and have questions on D/Goalie. I don't believe for a moment the goalie they just acquired is nothing but a stop gap. You and Legend believe there's a lot of talent on this team but they are either pretty young, or veteran and haven't experienced much in the way of winning or playoff success. The best part is they have a chance to change perception through 68 games. We will see if they can put it together.

StormLifer

Jan 7, 2013
Ariss, ON
Honest question since I really don't know much about him nor have I seen him play much but it seems like Sean Day is the heavy favourite for most overrated....why is that?

Honest question since I really don't know much about him nor have I seen him play much but it seems like Sean Day is the heavy favourite for most overrated....why is that?
I think some thought it said over weighted:laugh:

Seriously though:

Day has never lived up to the exceptional status he was given. He's an average defenceman on an average team. He has never stood out in any of the games I've seen him play. Good skater, but that's really about it that I've seen. He's still young and still learning the game, but he hasn't really hit the ground running. I think it leans towards that "exceptional" status as to why he's considered overrated.

devils55

Mar 9, 2012

I think its because if you ever watched a Mississauga game online all they would talk about is the exceptional Sean Day, yet he's mediocre on most nights, bad compete level, bad attitude/body language yet they always speak about how "awesome' he is. He will be out to prove a lot of people wrong this year. And if he's not getting the ice and point production he "deserves"(wants) he'll probably hold out and ask for a trade hurting his draft stock ever more.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think it's been too much too soon for him. Some people make a big deal about his weight but he's also 17. He's had a good exhibition season and Mississauga has high expectations this year and he's one of the reasons. Unfortunately this is his 3rd season and everybody will pick apart his game like Tavares playing his 4th year in the OHL.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think some thought it said over weighted:laugh:

Seriously though:

Day has never lived up to the exceptional status he was given. He's an average defenceman on an average team. He has never stood out in any of the games I've seen him play. Good skater, but that's really about it that I've seen. He's still young and still learning the game, but he hasn't really hit the ground running. I think it leans towards that "exceptional" status as to why he's considered overrated.

Nobody made a big deal about his weight last year when he was 230+. People want to pick a narrative and stick with it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
How much difference would it make if he was on London, Windsor, SSM, or any other team with a fair bit of exposure? I can't believe he gets lots of media in Mississauga and maybe that's something he needs?

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
1. OHL Championship Favorite: Kitchener Rangers
2. The team that will pick first at the 2016 OHL Draft: Guelph Storm
3. Most overrated team: London Knights
4. Most underrated team: Ottawa 67's
5. Red Tilson Winner: Alex Debrincat
6. Most overrated forward: Lawson Crouse
7. Most underrated forward: Travis Konecny (Obviously we know he's a great player, but I think he's in the same echelon as Marner and Strome. Doesn't seem to get the same appreciation)
8. Player most likely to breakout: Taylor Raddysh
9. Rookie of the year: Max Jones
10. Best goalie: Mackenzie Blackwood
11. Most overrated goalie: Tyler Parsons
12. Most underrated goalie: Luke Opilka
13. Best defenceman: Jacob Chychrun
14. Most overrated defenceman: Sean Day
15. Most underrated defenseman: Gustav Bouramman
16. Best head coach: Kris Knoblauch...not sure how he's sans coach of the year at this point
17. Most overrated head coach: Dale Hunter
18. Most underrated head coach: Rocky Thompson
19. Best Jerseys: Ottawa 67's Home Unis
20. Worst Jerseys: Erie Otters (Not the alternate) the Reebok EDGE goofy piping has outworn it's welcome. Jerseys have too much going on and the logo is due for an update or re-working of some kind.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is interesting to browse the different names nominated as the early favourites for the Tilson. The most common name is Marner. I was surprised to see so many Ho Sang nominations. I highly doubt he will even get a sniff. It is extremely rare a controversial player gets it.

Not one vote for Travis Konecny. I find that odd. Past Rookie of the Year. A 1st rounder this past summer. Plays for a team predicted to be at or near the top in the conference. Sitting in the points lead as of today. Good character kid. He will need to do two things to be considered. First, he will need to stay healthy and play a full season. Second, he will need to represent Canada at the World Juniors. I think the other things will fall in line for him if he can achieve those two things.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It is interesting to browse the different names nominated as the early favourites for the Tilson. The most common name is Marner. I was surprised to see so many Ho Sang nominations. I highly doubt he will even get a sniff. It is extremely rare a controversial player gets it.

Not one vote for Travis Konecny. I find that odd. Past Rookie of the Year. A 1st rounder this past summer. Plays for a team predicted to be at or near the top in the conference. Sitting in the points lead as of today. Good character kid. He will need to do two things to be considered. First, he will need to stay healthy and play a full season. Second, he will need to represent Canada at the World Juniors. I think the other things will fall in line for him if he can achieve those two things.

How often does a player that plays in the World Juniors win the scoring title? McDavid would have last season if not for the broken hand but he's an exception.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
How often does a player that plays in the World Juniors win the scoring title? McDavid would have last season if not for the broken hand but he's an exception.

The better question is how often does the Tilson winner NOT play in the World Juniors?

I'm not suggesting the player needs to win the scoring championship but I do think that player needs to represent themselves well on the list.

If I were to predict the winner of the Tilson, the categories in order that need to be satisfied are:

1> Play more than a taxi role with the World Junior team.
2> Play on a team well positioned for playoff success.
3> Is a significantly important player on their own team. They need to be the player that drives the bus.
4> Needs to be a points producer
5> Good character. They need to be respected for their on ice composure. Off ice citizenship is also a bonus.
6> Defensively sound. They don't need to be outstanding but they cannot be a liability.
7> They can't come out of nowhere. It is rare that a late bloomer with only one year of top flight service will be enough for consideration.

I think there are many examples that can come to mind but there is one that is foremost in my mind:

Alyn McCauley vs Marc Savard

McCauley was the Golden Boy. First overall pick in the OHL. Gifted offensively. Good pedigree. Well liked with no real controversey surrounding him.

Savard was the offensive guy. Racked up points. HE was the go to player for the Generals on their OHL Championship team. Problem was he was a sniveler. He had a "me first" reputation. He didn't play for Team Canada at the Juniors. He was not all that great defensively.

This year, you can look at Josh Ho Sang as a similar player to Savard in many respects. This is why a player like that can be a star on the ice, rack up points, and skate around making defensemen look stupid and yet still not be considered. Then you take a look at a kid like Konecny. He doesn't have the offensive drive, nor is he anywhere near as powerful a skater. However, he has great character, plays both sides of the puck really well, and plays a strong physical game for a small kid. You put Ho Sang out there against Konecny and the casual hockey fan would normally say that Ho Sang is dynamic the way he carries himself on the ice. But he is the hare and a kid like Konecny is the turtle.

This is not disrespect to the likes of Marner, Strome, and Mangiapane. They are all great players and deserving of the award as well. This is just a means of identifying the type of player that woul dmost likely get the nod for the award.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Vincent Trocheck was the last to do it IIRC his 19 yr old season when he split time with Saginaw and Plymouth. He also won the Red Tilson that year.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania

Would've picked Konecny, as I think he has a legitimate argument as the best player in the league outright, but he'll miss a good chunk of time at the WJC. Alex DeBrincat, despite how well he is producing, is almost certainly not going to be on Team USA. I expect him to to play 65 games at least. Don't see another challenger for the scoring title at the moment.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I rescind my nomination of Alex Debrincat for being overrated lol

I think a lot of people picked Ho-Sang for the Red Tilson Winner because of the team he played on. A team that was supposed to be easily the best in the East and a favourite to win the OHL. He'd be arguably the best player on the "best" team and would therefore likely rack up a ton of points this year. I actually picked him specifically because he likely wouldn't represent Team Canada at the WJC. The scoring champ (on the best team) would generally have a significant chance of being named MVP.

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Good call to those who picked Debrincat as overrated. Dominated last year and people thought it was just Mcdavid. It's clear that Debrincat helped out Mcdavid just as much. True sniper

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Really fun to look back at yours and others predications and see how off you were or spot on you were.
Some people had some pretty good lists. Others, like myself, not so much!

Otters seemed to be picked as most overrated and Flint as the team most likely to pick first in draft.

I feel like mayknow had the best list of at least closest of all the lists and within most categories he wasn't too far off. So good guessing!

As a bonus aside, s/o to Kingpin for picking Devin Williams as most underrated goalie.. Even Erie people didn't see it coming

2015-16 OHL Predictions

1. OHL Championship Favorite: London Knights
2. The team that will pick first at the 2016 OHL Draft: Flint Firebirds
3. Most overrated team: Sarnia Sting
4. Most underrated team: Erie Otters
5. Red Tilson Winner: Mitch Marner
6. Most overrated forward: Josh Ho-Sang
7. Most underrated forward: Travis Konecny
8. Player most likely to breakout: Michael McLeod
9. Rookie of the year: Gabriel Vilardi
10. Best goalie: Mackenzie Blackwood
11. Most overrated goalie: Brett Moran
12. Most underrated goalie: Luke Opilka
13. Best defenseman: Jakob Chychrun
14. Most overrated defenseman: Sean Day
15. Most underrated defenseman: Kyle Capobianco
16. Best head coach: Kris Knoblauch
17. Most overrated head coach: Stan Butler
18. Most underrated head coach: Greg Gilbert
19. Best Jerseys: London Knights green
20. Worst Jerseys: Barrie Colts white

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Cool to look back!

I like my list. I really thought Appleby would be returning, swing and a miss on that one!

Great call on Devin Williams by Kingpin, how in the world did you see that coming??

1. OHL Championship Favorite: London Knights
2. The team that will pick first at the 2016 OHL Draft: Flint Firebirds
3. Most overrated team: Peterborough Petes
4. Most underrated team: Sarnia Sting
5. Red Tilson Winner: Mitch Marner
6. Most overrated forward: Lawson Crouse
7. Most underrated forward: Travis Konecny
8. Player most likely to breakout: Michael McLeod
9. Rookie of the year: Alexander Nylander (whoa back to back Missy picks!!)
10. Best goalie: Ken Appleby
11. Most overrated goalie: Justin Nichols
12. Most underrated goalie: Troy Timpano
13. Best defenseman: Jakob Chychrun
14. Most overrated defenseman: Sean Day
15. Most underrated defenseman: Kyle Wood
16. Best head coach: Stan Butler
17. Most overrated head coach: George Burnett (much respect to him)
18. Most underrated head coach: Paul McFarland
19. Best Jerseys: Kitchener Rangers/Oshawa Generals
20. Worst Jerseys: North Bay Battalion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad