Injury Report: 2015-16 Injury News Thread (Updates Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think we are pretty much ****ed when it comes to Duchene and MacK. I'd be surprised if either plays more than 5 games down the stretch. Knee injuries are tough, you can't rush them because if you do you risk more serious injury, which we really don't want. And honestly I'd more pissed if we rushed them because we were desperate and one of them screwed up their knee and wasn't able to do anything over the summer.

It's not like having a shoulder issue, where you can kind of hide it, and play through it like Sakic did in the playoffs one year.

It's just unfortunate timing for us that both stay healthy all year and then both go down with basically the same injury with 10 games left and us hunting for a playoff spot.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Usually he's rather optimistic in these regards, so hearing him say "week to week" scares me a lot.

He also doesn't want to give updates every week. It's understandable he wants to go on a weekly basis. I actually think we'll see Duchene. Maybe not if they really fall out of the race. But if they have something to play for.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
well, I dont even know what knee inury.... if its a strain, then we are talking swelling, a tear in a medial cartiladge is repairable under the scope ...
others are worse....
So, no chance like the present to have the other guys step up....
and seriously BOTH our center star dudes at once? ok... it sure is a great time to watch hockey

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Usually he's rather optimistic in these regards, so hearing him say "week to week" scares me a lot.

Even a grade 1 MCL sprain (when the ligament is stretched but not partially torn - a relatively mild knee injury, all things considered) can often take 3 weeks to heal.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Even a grade 1 MCL sprain (when the ligament is stretched but not partially torn - a relatively mild knee injury, all things considered) can often take 3 weeks to heal.

Well that timetable is more so for the average human being who doesn't have access to high end care and rehab. But even then athletes who do have access to all this, still looking at minimum 10-14 days for full recovery, plus then you add a few days for skating conditioning.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
and these estimates vary as the degree of injury and response of each person is unique.... and so, time for our healthy dudes to step up

ok.. here we go... "Dutchii comes back Monday
MacK out till playoffs ", as a prediction// guess

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yah usually when Patrick is optimistic is when im skeptical. Day to day usually means the guy is gone for a few weeks atleast haha. I truly feel that both are done for the regular season.

lou is the worst when it comes to this. at least with the devils.

if lou said player is 'day-to-day' or 'he's fine', it meant he's done for the year.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Well that timetable is more so for the average human being who doesn't have access to high end care and rehab. But even then athletes who do have access to all this, still looking at minimum 10-14 days for full recovery, plus then you add a few days for skating conditioning.

I believe that 3-6 weeks is the timetable for the average Joe with a grade 1 MCL sprain. There are mild and severe sprains without any ligament tearing, of course. I suspect that's where the 3 and 6 come in. Partial tears are different, obviously.

Even if they take only two weeks to get back, that's going to grind the Avs up against the last 3 or 4 games of the season.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
This is all a ploy for the Wild to let their guard down and both Mack and Dutchy will be ready to go on Saturday.

I wish.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Let's keep this thread clean, please. Any whining can go in the PGT too.
it wasn't whining tv, it was brainstorming/conspiracy theorizing.

anyways, any games the rest of the way that we see either mack or duchene should be considered gifts. this team will show its true character and resiliency down the stretch without our speedy playmakers

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
I believe that 3-6 weeks is the timetable for the average Joe with a grade 1 MCL sprain. There are mild and severe sprains without any ligament tearing, of course. I suspect that's where the 3 and 6 come in. Partial tears are different, obviously.

Even if they take only two weeks to get back, that's going to grind the Avs up against the last 3 or 4 games of the season.

As someone who just had surgery for ACL/MCL/Meniscus from a hockey injury there are a few inaccuracies here.

A grade 1 sprain still involves tearing. The terminology is a bit confusing, but all knee ligament "sprains" involve at least partial tearing of a few of the fibers. It usually involves stretching of the ligament which causes a few fibers of the ligament to tear and heals in ~10 days to 2 weeks, generally.

Grade 2 is more severe and grade 3 is a complete rupture. It is extremely unusual for an MCL to require surgery, even if it is a grade 3 tear. Mine did, but it was the exception rather than the rule.

The timetable for recovering from a grade 1 sprain isn't going to be much different for an average guy than it will be for a pro - the treatment generally consists of rest, ice, and bracing. This isn't an injury they can rehab their way out of as the treatment is rest. For something like my injury, they would certainly have a shorter recovery time as their post surgery rehab would be much more focused and intense.

Luckily, unless you're extremely unfortunate and have a retraction or some other extenuating circumstance that requires surgical intervention, even really bad MCL sprains recover completely with no long term effects. It sucks that macK and dutchy are out at such an important time, but as far as knee injuries go, a minor MCL sprain is about as good as you can hope for.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
As someone who just had surgery for ACL/MCL/Meniscus from a hockey injury there are a few inaccuracies here.

A grade 1 sprain still involves tearing. The terminology is a bit confusing, but all knee ligament "sprains" involve at least partial tearing of a few of the fibers. It usually involves stretching of the ligament which causes a few fibers of the ligament to tear and heals in ~10 days to 2 weeks, generally.

Grade 2 is more severe and grade 3 is a complete rupture. It is extremely unusual for an MCL to require surgery, even if it is a grade 3 tear. Mine did, but it was the exception rather than the rule.

The timetable for recovering from a grade 1 sprain isn't going to be much different for an average guy than it will be for a pro - the treatment generally consists of rest, ice, and bracing. This isn't an injury they can rehab their way out of as the treatment is rest. For something like my injury, they would certainly have a shorter recovery time as their post surgery rehab would be much more focused and intense.

Luckily, unless you're extremely unfortunate and have a retraction or some other extenuating circumstance that requires surgical intervention, even really bad MCL sprains recover completely with no long term effects. It sucks that macK and dutchy are out at such an important time, but as far as knee injuries go, a minor MCL sprain is about as good as you can hope for.

Yes, that was the gist of my original post on the matter. A grade 1 MCL sprain is as mellow as it gets with knee injuries. Still 2-3 weeks typically though.

When I sprained my MCL last year, I was told that the difference between grade 1 and II sprain is that with the former, the tears are very small (even microscopic) and the knee joint is still stable. With grade II, the tears are larger, and there is a certain amount of instability in the joint. Obviously that 2nd one will result in more healing time.

A friend of mine completely tore his MCL this past November. It took several months to heal (and cost him this ski season), but he didn't need surgery, and the docs told him he'll eventually be fine.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Duchene reportedly practicing with a regular jersey on.

Of course, now he is good to go now that we are out of it. The hockey god's are being excessively cruel towards the Avs this year. Both our best players go down with injury at the worst possible time, then when we are essentially out of any playoff contention, they allow us to have one of them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad