League News: 2015-16 Around the League VIII (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm going to be really pissed off if one of the solid veteran LD's signs a cheap deal somewhere else.

At this point I just don't see the point of holding onto Orlov. That money could be spent on a defenseman that would be much much much more beneficial to a cup run this season than Orlov, and I don't see Orlov passing through the expansion draft unclaimed.

He may have a ton of potential but seriously what is the reasoning to hold onto him at this point??? This upcoming season is pretty much our window.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's a bad deal because they had all the leverage and failed to use it. There's no reason to pay him above the comparables in that situation. They could have very easily saved $500K on the deal by playing hardball, and nobody would really consider a $1.5M contract as an underpayment for Wilson.

This is my problem with the deal. Would Wilson or his agent really have made a fuss if he was offered $1.5M as opposed to $2M? Probably not. Would that $500k have been useful for Washington in the short term? Absolutely.

Makes no sense to me to pay for potential when you're the only team who can sign him (barring the rarely used offer sheet). You pay for potential if you are competing with other teams for his services, or are eating up UFA years.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Chimmer had the lowest hockey IQ of any player I've watched on the Caps in as long as I can remember. It was an inverse relationship with his straight line speed. Best of luck to the Ice Cheetah in Crooklyn.

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
I'm going to be really pissed off if one of the solid veteran LD's signs a cheap deal somewhere else.

At this point I just don't see the point of holding onto Orlov. That money could be spent on a defenseman that would be much much much more beneficial to a cup run this season than Orlov, and I don't see Orlov passing through the expansion draft unclaimed.

He may have a ton of potential but seriously what is the reasoning to hold onto him at this point??? This upcoming season is pretty much our window.

This is how I feel MaJo and Orlov need to be moved to further improve this team. $8m can be much better spent.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The poo pooing of Wilson on here is ridiculous.

I'm not poo pooing him as a player but I do think they could have gotten him cheaper given his very much less than defined role at this point.

I had already said goodbye to Chimera because I thought he would have gotten more term and rate but losing him for what he signed for is tough.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Chimmer had the lowest hockey IQ of any player I've watched on the Caps in as long as I can remember. It was an inverse relationship with his straight line speed. Best of luck to the Ice Cheetah in Crooklyn.

I agree. The amt of no look passes he'd make would drive me crazy. Even my girlfriend (at the time) who went to most of the games with me noticed it. She'd always say "why did he no look pass to the other team" lol.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Trade Majo for Kane.

Sign Orlov.

Ovi-Kuz-Oshie
Bura-Backis-Williams
Kane-Eller-Wilson
Winnik-Beagle-Galiev

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Niskanen
Orpik-Schmidt

Holtby
Grubauer

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Honestly Eric Staal at the same price as Lars Eller seems like a better option at 3C. It's not like Staal's 35, he's 31 and still puts up decent point totals and crushes possession. Yeah he stank with NY, but over a larger sample he is still very effective.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Then he has another year a 2 mil to get better/earn his contract.

Which is great for him but everyone says this is the 2nd year of the team's 2 year window to try to get it done in the playoffs so it doesn't do much for the team on the ice this season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just because Buffalo is considering trading Kane doesn't mean they're giving him away for $0.50 on the dollar. Caps would have to add substantially to Johansson (especially considering we have no 2nd round picks left until 2019), and even then it's unclear if they could fit Kane under the cap (an extra $500K would really help here).

Plus if they're spending heavily on a LW upgrade, I'd rather go after JvR.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Honestly Eric Staal at the same price as Lars Eller seems like a better option at 3C. It's not like Staal's 35, he's 32 and still puts up decent point totals and crushes possession. Yeah he stank with NY, but over a larger sample he is still very effective.

He wants to play big minutes.

That's what he's saying right now on TV.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Which is great for him but everyone says this is the 2nd year of the team's 2 year window to try to get it done in the playoffs so it doesn't do much for the team on the ice this season.

GMBM keeps saying it - but his actions show he's full of ****. If GMBM really believed we had a two year window then Vrana, Samsonov, and Johansen wouldn't of been picks in the first rd that contribute zero to the two year window. Don't be fooled. GMBM is trying to just put togetehr a team that's good enough for him to keep a job. He was an assistant for like 15 years. He's worried about his own ass. It's all ********. Zero high end moves/zero first rd picks for real talent additions prove that.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Grabner hasn't signed anywhere yet, AFAIK. Scoop him up at a reasonable price then figure out how to dump Winnik to make it work under the cap.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
When the Sabres were mentioned in the Stamkos sweepstakes, there was talk of them packaging Kane and Bogosian. Now that's a package that I would revisit with the Sabres, Kane 2 yrs. remaining at 5.25 and Bogosian has 4 years at 5.1. MOJO, Orpik, Siegenthaler and the '17 first round pick.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's a bad deal because they had all the leverage and failed to use it. There's no reason to pay him above the comparables in that situation. They could have very easily saved $500K on the deal by playing hardball, and nobody would really consider a $1.5M contract as an underpayment for Wilson.

You really wanna play hardball with your players over 500K a year? To what end result gained? Wilson just had a year where he took a step forward and instead you feel like they should put the screws to him instead of rewarding him?

Seems you're stuck on the 'comparables' part. 23 points is 23 points...

This is my problem with the deal. Would Wilson or his agent really have made a fuss if he was offered $1.5M as opposed to $2M? Probably not. Would that $500k have been useful for Washington in the short term? Absolutely.

Makes no sense to me to pay for potential when you're the only team who can sign him (barring the rarely used offer sheet). You pay for potential if you are competing with other teams for his services, or are eating up UFA years.

Stands to reason that $2 was likely a common ground both sides settled on. Wouldn't surprise me if Wilson asked for $2.5, the Caps offered $1.5 and they settled in the middle.

Let's not pretend the Caps are going to let 500k keep them from making a separate good deal if the opportunity presents itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad