WJC: 2015 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Wasn't Eichel an underager last year for America OP?

This team looks pretty strong, they might just dominate the entire tournament from start to finish.

Eichel has two more tournaments of eligibility but he almost certainly won't use them.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
What do you guys think of the chances for Zach Sanford and Brian Pinho? One had a dominant USHL postseason, the other was fantastic in the second half of the regular season.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What do you guys think of the chances for Zach Sanford and Brian Pinho? One had a dominant USHL postseason, the other was fantastic in the second half of the regular season.

Sanford is too old, must be 1995 or younger. Pinho probably not much chance at this point but a lot can change.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Sanford is too old, must be 1995 or younger. Pinho probably not much chance at this point but a lot can change.

Oh yeah, forgot to check the age ;) Hoping Pinho can make it...

If he'll play for PC like he did in the second half of the season with Providence wouldn't be surprised if he did, like Barber in 2013 tournament.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Milano-Eichel-Tuch
Larkin-Compher-Fasching
Hurley-Schmaltz-McCarron
Cammarata-Cassels-Erne
de Leo, Connor

McCoshen-Santini
Butcher-Vannelli
Deangelo-Dougherty
Savage-Brodzinski

Demko
Nedeljkovic
Halverson

This would be my best guess. I'd really like to see Hanifin and White make the team as well. Crazy how deep we are on the RW. Tuch assuredly not the best RW on the team, but I want the Milano-Eichel-Tuch unit to stay together.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Demko is going to be a great goalie, but the question is.. Is he great now?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
We are the best.

Is that sarcasm or real confidence?

Until we see how the teams come out of December camp, based on available players I'd place Canada as the favorites, slightly ahead of the U.S. and the Swedes and Finns the other medal contenders.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Is that sarcasm or real confidence?

Until we see how the teams come out of December camp, based on available players I'd place Canada as the favorites, slightly ahead of the U.S. and the Swedes and Finns the other medal contenders.

It was a test...and you passed!

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
...and here comes the NA fans who think they are faves in every tournament.:laugh:

Why should Canada and USA be favorites ahead if Sweden, Finland and Russia?

USA failed big time last year and Canada missed medal two last years. So why do you think you will win every year?:help:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I know my ****.

Should be a great tourny.

You do! Oh sure, you're moody as hell, but you are very knowledgeable. ;)
Anyway, I don't think the U.S. fans like us overtaking their thread so... I am off!

Last edited by a moderator:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You do! Oh sure, you're moody as hell, but you are very knowledgeable. ;)
Anyway, I don't think the U.S. fans like us overtaking their thread so... I am off!

Opps. I thought this was the predict your roster thread.

My apologies to my american comrades. :)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
You guys are awesome.

I'm going to venture that nobody here has a solid grasp of the U20 player pool of all the medal favorites. North Americans will probably be pretty familiar with the American and Canadian pool, but I doubt they could make a 20 man list of Russian, Finnish and Swedish teams. Ditto for the Europeans.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Of course. My expectations are always met in threads like this.

Do I detect a hint of derision in that post? )))

And in answer to Хоккей's post, I have a fairly good idea what the main contending teams will look like based on what we've seen from the 1995 age group at various tournaments since 2012, including U17, Hlinka, U18 and a select few who have already played the U20 tournament. Teams are not swimming in enough elite level talent to make up 3 teams. There will be a few surprises, but I'm sure most of us who follow prospects can come up with a pretty close guess as to what the teams will look like. ..the trick is who will be available and who won't be come Xmas time.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

And in answer to Хоккей's post, I have a fairly good idea what the main contending teams will look like based on what we've seen from the 1995 age group at various tournaments since 2012, including U17, Hlinka, U18 and a select few who have already played the U20 tournament. Teams are not swimming in enough elite level talent to make up 3 teams. There will be a few surprises, but I'm sure most of us who follow prospects can come up with a pretty close guess as to what the teams will look like. ..the trick is who will be available and who won't be come Xmas time.

Not at all. I look forward to the debate leading up to the tournament.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Players develop a lot at this age and year to year the variables are large.

Sure we can have a good idea of some of the players, but those U17, U18 events etc are such small sample sizes that I really find it hard to believe any of us on this side of the pond have such a strong grasp of the player pools to really give a true accurate judgement.

I feel fairly confident comparing the US and Canadian teams, because I see most of the players year round.

Mostly what I am interested in anyway with regard to the US team is not how the US team compares to Russia or Finland, but in how the US team looks compared to previous years. In a short tournament like the U20s, where one bad game can end your tournament and a short run of good fortune can win you the title, it's difficult to really compare teams and think you can accurately predict where each will fall.

Last year I felt the US team had a weak team and that they'd have to play nearly perfect to win knockout games against the favorites. In 2013 I felt we had a strong team, but I didn't realize John Gibson was going to go insane and that we hit a hot streak at just the right time. Pretty much everything went perfect. 2012 I felt we had a strong team but a few unlucky injuries, bounces and a collective morale collapse lead to disaster. 2011 was an average collection and they finished with a pretty average tournament.

I think the 2015 team is pretty strong. Which of course means they can give all the big boys trouble, and if we get the bounces at the right time, we could win the tournament. It would take another lunar eclipse to see the Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde type 2012 performance with this group, but it's not impossible that they get in a close game and lose to Canada or Russia early and the tournament is deemed a failure.

As always it will come down to Thatcher Demko and whether we can play our best hockey in the final three games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad