WJC: 2015 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Team USA will face Finland, Russia, Slovakia and Germany.

At forward:

Adam Erne
Jack Eichel
Hudson Fasching

Will almost surely all be back. Eichel is not draft eligible. Erne seems a long shot to put it kindly to make the Lightning and Fasching almost surely will spend another year in Minnesota. Eichel gives this team a game breaking talent and potential to be the best player in the tournament along with Connor McDavid. Erne had a poor tournament this year but he'll still be a valuable member of the team, whose game probably gets better on the smaller north American rinks. Fasching was outstanding and will be counted on to play a big role next year.

On defense:

Three potential returning players. Wil Butcher, Ian McCoshen and Steve Santini are all in my mind locks to spend another year in college hockey. Santini is a candidate to captain the team and probably will be the top defenseman. Butcher and McCoshen struggled at times, but hopefully this year gives them the experience to come back stronger next year.

Thatcher Demko was obviously brought along as the 3rd goalie in preparation for next year. He'll probably have at least some kind of battle with Nedeljikovic for the starting job, but it's obviously his to lose. Nedeljikovic will probably be groomed for 2016.

After that guys who just missed the cut this year like Compher and Deangelo, one would expect would be key members of the team. Leaving something like this as the framework for the roster in terms of returning players, counting players cut just before the tournament.

Erne--Eichel--Fasching
X-----Compher---X
X--------X---------X
X-------X----------X

Butcher-Santini
McCoshen-Deangelo
X----------X

Demko
Nedeljikovic
X

It will be interesting to watch how players like Schmaltz and Hurley do their freshman seasons. If Michael McCarron can turn it around, although his candidacy helps on smaller ice. Whether some of the young pups from the U17s like Hanifin can make the jump AND make an impact like Eichel did this year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The U.S. is in the group with Canada, Finland, Slovakia and Germany. Or has the IIHF made changes since the last time I checked the IIHF site?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The U.S. is in the group with Canada, Finland, Slovakia and Germany. Or has the IIHF made changes since the last time I checked the IIHF site?

Nope sorry that was a typo. Doing and thinking of two things at one time.

:help:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Noah Hanifin will be an impact underager on this team (like Seth Jones). Colin White could also make an impact as an underager. He's the type of player who could be effective on any line due to his scoring, hockey IQ, and defensive ability.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Team USA will face Finland, Russia, Slovakia and Germany.

At forward:

Adam Erne
Jack Eichel
Hudson Fasching

Will almost surely all be back. Eichel is not draft eligible. Erne seems a long shot to put it kindly to make the Lightning and Fasching almost surely will spend another year in Minnesota. Eichel gives this team a game breaking talent and potential to be the best player in the tournament along with Connor McDavid. Erne had a poor tournament this year but he'll still be a valuable member of the team, whose game probably gets better on the smaller north American rinks. Fasching was outstanding and will be counted on to play a big role next year.

On defense:

Three potential returning players. Wil Butcher, Ian McCoshen and Steve Santini are all in my mind locks to spend another year in college hockey. Santini is a candidate to captain the team and probably will be the top defenseman. Butcher and McCoshen struggled at times, but hopefully this year gives them the experience to come back stronger next year.

Thatcher Demko was obviously brought along as the 3rd goalie in preparation for next year. He'll probably have at least some kind of battle with Nedeljikovic for the starting job, but it's obviously his to lose. Nedeljikovic will probably be groomed for 2016.

After that guys who just missed the cut this year like Compher and Deangelo, one would expect would be key members of the team. Leaving something like this as the framework for the roster in terms of returning players, counting players cut just before the tournament.

Erne--Eichel--Fasching
X-----Compher---X
X--------X---------X
X-------X----------X

Butcher-Santini
McCoshen-Deangelo
X----------X

Demko
Nedeljikovic
X

It will be interesting to watch how players like Schmaltz and Hurley do their freshman seasons. If Michael McCarron can turn it around, although his candidacy helps on smaller ice. Whether some of the young pups from the U17s like Hanifin can make the jump AND make an impact like Eichel did this year.

Compher effectively made this year's team. He was unable to participate due to a last minute injury. He is a lock for next year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Nope sorry that was a typo. Doing and thinking of two things at one time.

:help:

That's all right... hey the IIHF has thrown a few curve balls at me in the past...they run it even more like a mom and pop store than does the NHL.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
That's all right... hey the IIHF has thrown a few curve balls at me in the past...they run it even more like a mom and pop store than does the NHL.

You could tell after the Gold Medal game where a lot of their priorities are for this tournament. Rene Fasel thanked TSN and Canadian fans. They've made the u20s a big money maker and I don't blame them that much for doing what TSN wants.

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
Yeah it was fun seeing Boston Pizza and Air Canada and that we all play for Canada ad on the boards in a tournament played in Sweden. They love their WJC's.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You could tell after the Gold Medal game where a lot of their priorities are for this tournament. Rene Fasel thanked TSN and Canadian fans. They've made the u20s a big money maker and I don't blame them that much for doing what TSN wants.

Hey, I'm a capitalist. I'm all for making a buck or two. But Hockey Canada and TSN are pushing it to the extreme... and it's pissing me off royally.... A little less commercialization please!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's my guess at the Lake Placid Evaluation Camp roster based on the same roster breakdown as last camp:

Forwards (x24):

Justin Bailey
Paul Bittner
Taylor Cammarata
Cole Cassels
J.T. Compher
Kyle Connor
Chase De Leo
Jack Eichel
Adam Erne
Hudson Fasching
Conor Garland
John Hayden
Ryan Hitchcock
Connor Hurley
Keegan Iverson
Dyan Larkin
Darby Llewellyn
Jimmy Lodge
Ryan MacInnis
Michael McCarron
Sonny Milano
Tyler Motte
Nick Schmaltz
Alex Tuch

Defense (x16):

Gage Ausmus
Mike Brodzinski
Will Butcher
Connor Clifton
Anthony DeAngelo
Michael Downing
Jack Dougherty
Anthony Florentino
Jack Glover
Noah Hanifin
Aaron Haydon
Josh Jacobs
Ian McCoshen
Steve Santini
Keaton Thompson
Tommy Vannelli

Goalies (x4):

Evan Cowley
Thatcher Demko
Alex Nedeljkovic
Blake Weyrick

Notes:
  • I expect them to leave Hanifin at home. Not because he doesn't deserve to be there but they seem to have gone away from bringing underagers to Lake Placid. I think it's a mistake. Let guys like Eichel and Hanifin compete in the summer so they have a better idea of what to expect and what they need to do in order to make the team. But USAH doesn't seem to agree with that method. In fact, there's a few U17s that may deserve invites to the camp but I wouldn't count on any of them.
  • They'll probably bring Anthony Louis or Tyler Kelleher over Conor Garland but I'd rather see a new player in the mix.
  • Last players chosen at each spot: John Hayden, Josh Jacobs, Blake Weyrick.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Man Sabres could have 4 guys on the squad: Compher, Hurley, Bailey, and Eichel/Hanifin ;)

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Here's my guess at the Lake Placid Evaluation Camp roster based on the same roster breakdown as last camp:

Forwards (x24):

Justin Bailey
Paul Bittner
Taylor Cammarata
Cole Cassels
J.T. Compher
Kyle Connor
Chase De Leo
Jack Eichel
Adam Erne
Hudson Fasching
Conor Garland
John Hayden
Ryan Hitchcock
Connor Hurley
Keegan Iverson
Dyan Larkin
Darby Llewellyn
Jimmy Lodge
Ryan MacInnis
Michael McCarron
Sonny Milano
Tyler Motte
Nick Schmaltz
Alex Tuch

Defense (x16):

Gage Ausmus
Mike Brodzinski
Will Butcher
Connor Clifton
Anthony DeAngelo
Michael Downing
Jack Dougherty
Anthony Florentino
Jack Glover
Noah Hanifin
Aaron Haydon
Josh Jacobs
Ian McCoshen
Steve Santini
Keaton Thompson
Tommy Vannelli

Goalies (x4):

Evan Cowley
Thatcher Demko
Alex Nedeljkovic
Blake Weyrick

Notes:
  • I expect them to leave Hanifin at home. Not because he doesn't deserve to be there but they seem to have gone away from bringing underagers to Lake Placid. I think it's a mistake. Let guys like Eichel and Hanifin compete in the summer so they have a better idea of what to expect and what they need to do in order to make the team. But USAH doesn't seem to agree with that method. In fact, there's a few U17s that may deserve invites to the camp but I wouldn't count on any of them.
  • They'll probably bring Anthony Louis or Tyler Kelleher over Conor Garland but I'd rather see a new player in the mix.
  • Last players chosen at each spot: John Hayden, Josh Jacobs, Blake Weyrick.

I could be wrong but I believe Nedeljkovic would be eligible for the 2016 tournament as well. As he is presumably the backup right now after demko and is eligible for another year could you see them naming only two goalies and using that roster spot somewhere else since they have a goalie being groomed for the next tournament as well?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I could be wrong but I believe Nedeljkovic would be eligible for the 2016 tournament as well. As he is presumably the backup right now after demko and is eligible for another year could you see them naming only two goalies and using that roster spot somewhere else since they have a goalie being groomed for the next tournament as well?

Nedeljkovic is a 1996, so yes he's 2016 eligible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Do you think it's possible/probably that they only name 2 goalies then for the tournament like Canada and bring along an extra skater?

Thought you were only allowed to bring an extra goalie anyway, if you don't use the third goalie you just don't use a roster spot. Maybe I am missing something or misinterpreted that rule.

Kind of think they will always bring the third goalie given the USMNTDP.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Adam Erne - Jack Eichel - Hudson Fasching
Nick Schmaltz - Connor Hurley - Kyle Connor
Paul Bittner - Jimmy Lodge - Alex Tuch
Dylan Larkin - J.T Compher - Sonny Milano
Taylor Cammarata

Steve Santini - Jack Glover
Anthony DeAngelo - Ian McCoshen
Joshua Jacobs - Noah Hanifin
Will Butcher - Tommy Vannelli

Thatcher Demko
Alex Nedlejkovic

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Thought you were only allowed to bring an extra goalie anyway, if you don't use the third goalie you just don't use a roster spot. Maybe I am missing something or misinterpreted that rule.

You're correct. Teams can't have more than 20 skaters regardless of whether or not they take a third goalie. I expect the US will continue to take the third goalie. Why wouldn't they?

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Adam Erne - Jack Eichel - Hudson Fasching
Nick Schmaltz - Connor Hurley - Kyle Connor
Paul Bittner - Jimmy Lodge - Alex Tuch
Dylan Larkin - J.T Compher - Sonny Milano
Taylor Cammarata

Steve Santini - Jack Glover
Anthony DeAngelo - Ian McCoshen
Joshua Jacobs - Noah Hanifin
Will Butcher - Tommy Vannelli

Thatcher Demko
Alex Nedlejkovic
I think JT is too good for a fourth line role.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think JT is too good for a fourth line role.

really wasn't too concerned with lines and who was on 1st or 2nd lines...

but, this group has the chance to have a number of kids in the bottom 6 that would have easily made the top 6 this year. a lot of talent to pick from for this coming team depending on how they want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad