WC: 2015 — Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
This team deserves a boatload of credit for how they've represented us. A bronze would be great but I'm already satisfied. Think of how most of us reacted initially to the roster....certainly didnt expect this. Great tourney.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
This team deserves a boatload of credit for how they've represented us. A bronze would be great but I'm already satisfied. Think of how most of us reacted initially to the roster....certainly didnt expect this. Great tourney.

I've always maintained that this tournament is more about will than skill. A little bit of skill and a whole lot of will can take you a long way... having said that, I didn't give the Americans much of a chance to play for a medal. Great tournament for all 4 times fighting for a medal today.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Very proud of this team. They played well throughout the tournament and deserved this medal. They could have easily thrown in the towel after the semifinal disappointment (which Team USA often does) but they hung tough on an extremely short turnaround and are bringing home a medal.

If you would have been told before the tournament the team would only score 4 PP goals in 10 games, could you have imagined they would be bringing home the bronze? Just a real testament to the overall game they played here.

Hellebuyck was fantastic. I really hope we keep embracing young goalies at this tournament, especially since our veterans couldn't care less. First Gibson two years ago and now Hellebuyck this year - keep them coming.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Hope some of the older players that turned down the tournament, for whatever reasons, were watching and taking note that these kids will be gunning for spots on the next World Cup and Olympic teams.

Really enjoyed watching this US team all tournament!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hope some of the older players that turned down the tournament, for whatever reasons, were watching and taking note that these kids will be gunning for spots on the next World Cup and Olympic teams.

Really enjoyed watching this US team all tournament!

Unfortunately a large number of these guys won't be eligible for our World Cup team.:shakehead

I don't like the idea that Jones or Eichel will play on the young gun squad.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
Very proud of the way these guys played in this tournament and represented our country. Hats off to them!

Still, I really think the USA hockey really needs to look at how players are picked for the "sexy" tournaments, such as the Olympics and the World Cup. Players that turn down invitations to the World Championships should not be allowed to play in the big tournaments. I would rather have guys who really want to play for the U.S. when asked than a bunch of talented prima donnas. Where did that get us in Sochi, or the last World Cup? I'm tired of year after year hearing about all the U.S. NHL'ers that turn down playing, yet you hear Ovechkin and Plecanics fly over without hesitation. Where is the pride in playing for the U.S.A.? So if a player wants to claim he's " injured" and turn down the WC's so he can go get passed-out drunk with his buddies, then he shouldn't be playing in the Olympics or World Cup.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I've always maintained that this tournament is more about will than skill. A little bit of skill and a whole lot of will can take you a long way... having said that, I didn't give the Americans much of a chance to play for a medal. Great tournament for all 4 times fighting for a medal today.

Spot on post. One of your best ever.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Very proud of the way these guys played in this tournament and represented our country. Hats off to them!

Still, I really think the USA hockey really needs to look at how players are picked for the "sexy" tournaments, such as the Olympics and the World Cup. Players that turn down invitations to the World Championships should not be allowed to play in the big tournaments. I would rather have guys who really want to play for the U.S. when asked than a bunch of talented prima donnas. Where did that get us in Sochi, or the last World Cup? I'm tired of year after year hearing about all the U.S. NHL'ers that turn down playing, yet you hear Ovechkin and Plecanics fly over without hesitation. Where is the pride in playing for the U.S.A.? So if a player wants to claim he's " injured" and turn down the WC's so he can go get passed-out drunk with his buddies, then he shouldn't be playing in the Olympics or World Cup.

I wish a few guys took this more seriously, however a lot have legitimate reasons and have come under unfair fire during this couple weeks. No I am not shocked that Plekanec flew over for a home World Championships or that Ovechkin flew over to join Russia on his way home for the off-season....

Which is something I will get pretty critical of is this... How come this thing so rarely comes to North America... Before people drive home the IIHF and NHL playing nice, they rarely do, so what do they care? Why hasn't this tournament taken place more often in NA, I thought it was the WORLD championships... Would players turn it down if the turnaround wasn't flying half way across the world coming off the big season long grind? I doubt they would, would European league players drop off at a higher rate? Honestly that is possible, we don't know because we have so rarely seen it.

It is easy to criticize some of the guys that turned it down, some deserve legitimate criticism. However, not all do and it becomes tough to be the jury judge and executioner if you're USA Hockey. Which guy has legitimate reasons?

Don't think we have to be overly worried about Olympic participation in 2018 anyway, maybe that overwhelming feeling played into this as well. I think lots of guys have suited up over the years, I don't fault the ones that don't very often. Certainly guys like Kessel and Jack Johnson who have come a lot don't deserve massive criticism in the years they forgo for whatever reason. Backes missing for the birth of a child. A lot of the mud-slinging has been disgusting. Root on what we have turns out it was pretty darn good, why spend the time punishing people. As others have pointed out they missed on a medal, a great experience, let them ask what it was worth. However, I want to bring the best team possible at all times and I am not interested in punishing guys for a voluntary event. Certainly country pride is huge, but there a list of players that have been crushed recently that have worn that jersey with pride and given it everything they had while doing it. I don't like that and I don't think we should be doing it to the extent I have seen.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
7-1 .948 2 shutouts

Connor-Hellebuyk-of-UML.jpg

I'm so ****ing excited.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How did Bonino do in the tourney?, I only saw a few USA games. thanks

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Hellebuyck not getting the goalie of the WHC is a joke. He had better stats than Rinne and won a medal.

Hellebuyck was named to the all star team ahead of Rinne. This happens frequently at the worlds. One all star goalie and a different goalie of the tournament.

When I saw that Hellebyck, Eichel and Larkin were named to your team I figured that USA hockey wasn't taking the tournament seriously. The players were though. So many good young Americans on the way. Hell of a tournament for a team not expected to be a factor. Congratulations on the bronze.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Much, much better result than the roster would have one believe prior to the start of the tourney. Complete surprise they did so well. Whereas Canada was expected to dominate and Russia had their star forwards, USA had some scraps and a few defensemen. That they performed so well and won bronze is awesome.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Hellebuyck was named to the all star team ahead of Rinne. This happens frequently at the worlds. One all star goalie and a different goalie of the tournament.

When I saw that Hellebyck, Eichel and Larkin were named to your team I figured that USA hockey wasn't taking the tournament seriously. The players were though. So many good young Americans on the way. Hell of a tournament for a team not expected to be a factor. Congratulations on the bronze.

Its amazing how far under the radar Hellebuyck continues to fly. As a UMass Lowell alum I just look at it and wonder how we got him in the first place. Apparently we were the only one looking to let him play right away.... and he keeps impressing.

He will never have the pedigree and I think that'll be the knock. He was never USNDPT and all that stuff.

That being said, Hellebuyck was one of the best of what was left so it shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm glad that he was able to face some NHL competition and get into a new environment (noting that he rode the pine last year). Will he be all world... probably not... will he be a hall of famer... probably not... but I wouldn't rule it out either... the ceiling hasn't been met yet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Much, much better result than the roster would have one believe prior to the start of the tourney. Complete surprise they did so well. Whereas Canada was expected to dominate and Russia had their star forwards, USA had some scraps and a few defensemen. That they performed so well and won bronze is awesome.

A lot was made going into this about who was there. I think for one it ignored the college kids to a great deal. These were not your normal college kids.

Vessey scored at an outstanding pace and has always been a good two-way player and glue guy in the red white and blue.

Reilly is about to be one of the most sought after properties in hockey and is a tremendous skater, that you knew would translate to the big ice and help wipe away the youthful mistakes he did make.

Now the next two I think were sold short continuously in the build up to the tournament even with the hype around Eichel. They are top 15 picks (highly talented) but they have mature games and body types. They are also coming off of two of the greatest college seasons in the last two decades, in Eichel's case the best of the last two decades.

While those unfamiliar with US hockey and even those of us that are quite familiar were well within rights to be concerned with how they would stand up at young ages. Larkin just bested Toews post-draft season in terms of point production while constantly being lauded as maybe the best defensive forward in NCAA hockey.

Eichel just dusted the NCAA, these are not necessarily the typical college guys. They are extremely fast and can both play a 200 ft game. If you look at the elevated minutes both received it was pretty clear from the onset they were even being counted upon more than some of the NHL guys brought in. It was clear for most of the season that the expectations on those two in particular to perform wouldn't be outlandish. They are terrific young hockey players.

I was surprised with the performance of some of the more depth types in terms of the NHL guys, of course they were playing roles they are extremely familiar with and counted on to do things they have been doing for years that helped.

It also helps that Seth Jones is an absolute terror on big ice. He has to be if not the very best, extremely close to that claim, it makes all aspects of his game that much better in my opinion. I would still lean to Doughty but that is really it at this kind of ice surface and game.

Aug 6, 2012
Great result for USA hockey. The future is looking brighter than it has in a while in my opinion. I thought all of the college kids were tremendous. Vesey really impressed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad