WC: 2015 — Team Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Thanks for the assessments guys! Denmark and Slovenia do seem like they should be games Norway is able to win, and possibly Belarus. Who will be the starter? Haugen?

Being a Norwegian living in Denmark, the Norwegian-Danish rivalry is of special importance. As such, let's look at our rival Denmark's roster:

• 7 players from the domestic Metalligaen
  • 5 from Allsvenskan
  • 3 from SHL
  • 3 from DEL
  • 2 from the AHL
  • 1 from GET-ligaen (Simon Nielsen)
  • 1 from the Swiss NLB
  • Randomly, the veteran Kim Staal who is playing for the Japanese team Tohoku Free Blades (Asia League Ice Hockey)

As one can see, there is a lack of NHL experience in their roster. The only one with experience is Oliver Lauridsen with 16 matches. All others are either still busy with the NHL or AHL playoffs (Frederik Andersen, Lars Eller, Peter Regin, Nicklas Jensen) or are injured (Jannik Hansen, Mikkel Bødker). Former NHL'er and now KHL'er Philip Larsen is looking for a new team, so he didn't want to play either. They might, however, get reinforcements in the form of Frans Nielsen (if the Islanders release him; he has suffered from some minor injuries recently) and Oliver Bjorkstrand (if his WHL team gets eliminated from the WHL playoffs).

At first I would think they would have some severe challenges with the lack of good goal scorers. However, Denmark has often performed suprisingly weak with the presence of NHL players (in 2012, for example, where they were one match away from relegation). As a group they have performed fairly good in the friendly matches - but that does not automatically mean they will do so in the actual tournament. Who knows?

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Being a Norwegian living in Denmark, the Norwegian-Danish rivalry is of special importance. As such, let's look at our rival Denmark's roster:

• 7 players from the domestic Metalligaen
  • 5 from Allsvenskan
  • 3 from SHL
  • 3 from DEL
  • 2 from the AHL
  • 1 from GET-ligaen (Simon Nielsen)
  • 1 from the Swiss NLB
  • Randomly, the veteran Kim Staal who is playing for the Japanese team Tohoku Free Blades (Asia League Ice Hockey)

As one can see, there is a lack of NHL experience in their roster. The only one with experience is Oliver Lauridsen with 16 matches. All others are either still busy with the NHL or AHL playoffs (Frederik Andersen, Lars Eller, Peter Regin, Nicklas Jensen) or are injured (Jannik Hansen, Mikkel Bødker). Former NHL'er and now KHL'er Philip Larsen is looking for a new team, so he didn't want to play either. They might, however, get reinforcements in the form of Frans Nielsen (if the Islanders release him; he has suffered from some minor injuries recently) and Oliver Bjorkstrand (if his WHL team gets eliminated from the WHL playoffs).

At first I would think they would have some severe challenges with the lack of good goal scorers. However, Denmark has often performed suprisingly weak with the presence of NHL players (in 2012, for example, where they were one match away from relegation). As a group they have performed fairly good in the friendly matches - but that does not automatically mean they will do so in the actual tournament. Who knows?

Denmark are in severe danger of relegation this WC. I think Norway will win this with ease. So many key players missing.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Thanks for the assessments guys! Denmark and Slovenia do seem like they should be games Norway is able to win, and possibly Belarus. Who will be the starter? Haugen?

I don’t think Haugen are first choice in this WC. Our coach Roy Johansen will use Haugen I some of the games, but he is not the clear first choice as he was a couple of years ago. I think Lars Volden which have had a very good season with Rögle (Swedish Allsvenskan) will get to start some of the games.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Denmark are in severe danger of relegation this WC. I think Norway will win this with ease. So many key players missing.

Every game vs Denmark is a tough game no matter what. I think it’s going to be an evenly and close game, a typical Norway vs Denmark WC game :laugh:

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Question. What are the expectations for Martinsen this tournament?

Martinsen stated to the Norwegian media that he’s really looking forward to WC and that he hopefully could draw some attention from the NHL scouts. He stated something like: this WC is like an exam for me, I now have to prove that I can play well in an big tournament like WC.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What can some people add about Andreas Martinsen's game? Strengths, weaknesses, potential, etc.

Look forward to seeing him today against the US.

Artemia

Mar 2, 2011
I cant understand how nhl is interested in a horrible player like marthinsen. Mathis olimb is as good as zuccarello yet nhl keeps ignoring him.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
I cant understand how nhl is interested in a horrible player like marthinsen. Mathis olimb is as good as zuccarello yet nhl keeps ignoring him.

Probably because he is so soft and disappears in tight games.

Wolfy*

Didn't Olimb get a chance in Chicago? Got beaten up in a fight in the minors, and that was it.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Didn't Olimb get a chance in Chicago? Got beaten up in a fight in the minors, and that was it.
The "fight" happened in a prospects camp scrimmage.

Anyway, Mathis isn't as soft as soft some would like to believe. I think he lacks speed for a small player, though. Keeps trying the same tricks over and over again, too. Really skilled, but doesn't seem very coachable.

Artemia

Mar 2, 2011
Ya, I can't remember hearing Mathis Olimb's name said during the USA game, but Ken Andre had a busy game.

Really? He was easily norways best forward again together with thoresen. He runs circles around most players and has great vision and passing.

He has 3 assists on norways 4 goals so far.

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Really? He was easily norways best forward again together with thoresen. He runs circles around most players and has great vision and passing.

I guess it was actually Mathis not Ken Andre that I kept hearing haha, although I thought I heard Ken Andre's name a lot too. Oh well! One of them was impressive, I remember that at least :p

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Andreas Martinsen: "I never thought I'd be in a situation where so many NHL teams were giving me offers."

Google translate from Norwegian media here: https://translate.google.no/transla...nhl-tilbud/3422783061.html&edit-text=&act=url

Avs and Islanders are the ones most eager to sign him.

Well I have to agree With him. He is big, slow and not very good at scoring goals. He cant fight. His DEL stats dosent matter.

He is just big, strong, can deliver some good hits and win some puck Battle. Thats it. Nothing special. At his best he is an AHL player. Maybe the Oilers will give him a go. He cant be worse than what they allready got.

Mathis Olimb is a far better player. More skilled, better vision and understanding of the game.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town

3 goals. He has assisted every goal. Without him we would be nothing.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Too bad , but we have only one line that produces. If Olimb or Thoresen gets injured we are in deep trouble. This is the real problem in norwegian hockey. We don`t produce enough quality players. Lack of rinks-lack of players. What will the future be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad