WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Couldn't Canada have brought a 3rd goalie and acted like they having some sort of competition for roster spots?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Also I've seen some polarizing opinions on Hicketts. As far as offensive dmen go hes as good as anyone that could come and is still very solid defensively. I think in past years he would be cut easily because they would want size and draft pedigree but I think he has a legit shot because of his skill they want, showing he plays physical (probably biggest hit in the SSS) and lastly his coach in Victoria is running the defense. Hes been his captain and is having the best season of any dman in the WHL.

Just because he wasnt drafted, I think it would be a mistake to not bring him

arsmaster*

I agree. Petan, Gauthier and Bigras all stunk but Bigras wasn't as bad as the other two. RJ. Broadhead kept going on about how great Gauthier is in the face off circle and how he was the captain of team Q and that he was also a returnee. The face-off only last about 2 seconds so for about 2 seconds each shift he might win a face off for us. But other than that he didn't throw a single check and all that stood out were his cement feet. But he was invited last year so he is a lock for our team... The same as Bigras and Petan. Both stunk.

Petan scored the 2nd most goals on team Canada last year. 4th leading scorer on the team from a depth line. You gotta pay better attention if you're going to make ridiculous claims.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Couldn't Canada have brought a 3rd goalie and acted like they having some sort of competition for roster spots?

Nah it always works when you just give the roster spots to a returnee and eliminate any competition. Remember 2012 when they took Visentin & Wedgewood, no reason to take Pickard!

arsmaster*

I dont know what I think about the size argument being brought up in here. I'm usually a person that leans towards size but with the world juniors I'm not sure how important it is. A 6'1 North American trained player is going to be bigger and stronger than a lot of the players on a European country. The team doesnt necessarily need to bring a guy like Ritchie who is pretty big by NHL standards (I know he can make it for more than size), when there could potentially be more skill in a guy a bit smaller but still big for the tourney.

Tyrell isnt big but being used to NA hockey, still had the ability to run a train through Hedman.

Tyrell didn't even make it to the tourney. He was injured in a pretourney game.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Domi - McDavid - Chartier
Dal Colle - Reinhart - Virtanen
Klimchuk - Gauthier - Ritchie
Fabbri - Dickenson - Point
Petan

Hicketts - Morrissey
Nurse - Bowey
Morin - Theodore
Sanheim

Fucale
Comrie

You want to give Gauthier #3C minutes while Fabbri toils on the 4th line and Petan sits as the 13th forward? No thanks.

KyleMills*

last one

lazar - mcdavid - virtanen
dal colle - reinhart - baptiste
domi - petan - fabbri
ritchie - gauthier - klimchuk
elie

nurse - morrissey
hicketts - bowey
morin - theodore
sanheim

fucale
comrie

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Then why is Gauthier even on your roster?

I think the argument can be made that there is many players who can fill the need of offensive forward more then guys to play on the bottom 6.

I think Petan makes it but if he is not in top 6 he is rather useless

KyleMills*

Then why is Gauthier even on your roster?
because I'm going by what Hockey Canada is going to do. Hockey Canada also loves to tick me off. So they'll have Gautheir on the team you watch.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Nope couldn't afford to have people keep questioning why Fucale is on the team. Great kid -- done some special things in the past; he just doesn't belong based on his performance the last 1.5 years.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Probably a near-lock because he played on the team last year and Team Canada looks like it lacks size this year.

Guys with size but slow just don't belong on this team. That's Gauthier to a tee. What does size give you when guys are going around you, you can't catch anyone, and worst of all -- if you check someone you're liable to get a penalty for it. When will HC learn its lesson?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Gauthier was sooooo bad winning faceoffs over and over in the last minute of play to ensure a Canada win in the quarters or whichever round was before they got kicked out.

The dude has a role on the team, and he is very good at that role. Especially with Horvat not in the picture. I don't think there is any chance he isn't on the roster, unless he just somehow forgets how to count at camp. He was named captain of the SS roster ffs.

Oh please. He's slow, soft and hasn't progressed.

This obsession of bringing players simply because they have gone before, is stupid.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tyrell didn't even make it to the tourney. He was injured in a pretourney game.

Crushed Hedman in a pretourney game than, I remember it happening right at the blue line and Hedman was having meltdowns the rest of the game. Point still stands, all these guys are used to NA junior hockey and even if they arent huge, ca generally physically dominate all the other countries except maybe the states. Even then, a few guys with size will be on the team and they will match up fine with the States.

I'm starting to think that too much size is a bad thing and it causes penalties more often than not with how the IIHF crappy officiating is

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Petan almost made the Jets team out of camp and was one of the best forwards in last year's WJC and some people want to leave him out?

I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

Canuck71*

7 forwards from Toronto (GTA). These kids are going to be super motivated to play for their country in their own backyard and all have a really good shot of making the team.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
7 forwards from Toronto (GTA). These kids are going to be super motivated to play for their country in their own backyard and all have a really good shot of making the team.

Whole tournament should have been held in Toronto.

Montreal's a joke with the prices and it'll be hilarious to see all the empty seats at almost all the games because of it.

Hockey Canada should be ashamed.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think that Virtanen is going to surprise a lot of people. He'll be playing 1RW spot by the 2nd or 3rd game.

He might be the fastest player on the team (if not then 2nd or 3rd fastest), hardest hitting forward with great size and he's a great goal scorer.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I think that Virtanen is going to surprise a lot of people. He'll be playing 1RW spot by the 2nd or 3rd game.

He might be the fastest player on the team (if not then 2nd or 3rd fastest), hardest hitting forward with great size and he's a great goal scorer.

A lot of the mock lineups have had Virtanen on the 1st line. At the very least I see Virtanen on the 1st PP, sitting in the Stamkos spot.

arsmaster*

I think the argument can be made that there is many players who can fill the need of offensive forward more then guys to play on the bottom 6.

I think Petan makes it but if he is not in top 6 he is rather useless

He wasn't top 6 last year and was 4th on the team in scoring and 2nd in goals.

arsmaster*

Gauthier was sooooo bad winning faceoffs over and over in the last minute of play to ensure a Canada win in the quarters or whichever round was before they got kicked out.

The dude has a role on the team, and he is very good at that role. Especially with Horvat not in the picture. I don't think there is any chance he isn't on the roster, unless he just somehow forgets how to count at camp. He was named captain of the SS roster ffs.

That was one game.

Gauthier took 40 faceoffs the whole tourney, sorry if nobody wants to bring a guy to the tourney for 5 faceoffs a game.

Team Canada had 4 minus players last year: Gauthier, Leier, Rychel and Anderson, and these are the guys who played the least of any forward on the team. Please of please fill out the roster with guys who can score, and guys you can trust for more than 10 mins a night.

4 scoring lines please.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lots of great options.
My biggest hope is that Gauthier is not on the starting team though.
Let's roll four scoring lines this time! There are plenty of choices for centers who can both check and score.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He wasn't top 6 last year and was 4th on the team in scoring and 2nd in goals.

I hope he gets paired with some shooters like Virtanen as he really shouldn't be 2nd on the team in goal scoring as he's a pass first kind of guy as seen by his near 1 to 4 goal to assist ratio throughout his WHL career.

Also, even though he's back in the WHL the Jets team still refers to a sick saucer pass as a "Petan" as seen in a mic'd up video with Dustin Byfuglien in practice recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad