2014 Winter Olympics Sucked. WOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Related news:

Tickets for the public day in Arlington on August 27th went on sale today.

Also, information about the Olympic Break from @LavoieRenaud

"During the Olympics, NHL players will be off from February 9 (or after their final game before the break) to February 18. Practices will resume on February 19... One other important note. A trade freeze in the NHL is schedule from February 7 to February 23rd during the Olympic break."

I'm assuming it will be like 2010 when players did not have access to training facilities during the break until practices resumed.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I think Holtby is the only one who didn't dodge the Russian law question and answered it in the stupidest way possible in regards to getting a roster spot.

Liberati0n*

I think Holtby is the only one who didn't dodge the Russian law question and answered it in the stupidest way possible in regards to getting a roster spot.
http://nhl.si.com/2013/08/26/kovalchuk-supports-russian-anti-gay-law-crosby-other-stars-opposed/
Allan Muir said:
“It’s hard to go into a country that supports something like that,” said Capitals goalie Braden Holtby, though he added that he’s not in favor of boycotting the Games. “I don’t think that would do any good. I think it would cause more problems than it would solve.

“But I think it’s an opportunity for athletes to get together and support a cause that I think a lot of us really have a passion for. And I think we can do lot of good for it.”

How exactly does that hurt his chances of making the roster?

But at least we know why you like Belorussians so much now:
“I agree, of course,” said Ilya Kovalchuk. “I’m Russian and we all have to respect that. It’s personal and, like I said, it’s a free world, but that’s our line. That’s our country, so everybody has to respect that.”

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
"It's a free world" huh? But not a free country, and I guess that's ok with him. Of course, given that, who knows whether he's being honest or doing what he must.

EDIT: Muir made the same observation... I should really read first and comment second.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Orientation camp to start getting a feel for the team to go to Russia and he goes off and says its hard to go to Russia because of the law.

This is 100% a non-issue as far as a roster spot.

Obviously, from their comments, the entire Canadian "leadership" is less than delighted about it. He didn't say, it'll be hard to play well or that he wouldn't go. In fact, he said it's an opportunity to make a difference. Turning a negative into a positive is actually a good job interview technique.

Last edited by a moderator:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Orientation camp to start getting a feel for the team to go to Russia and he goes off and says its hard to go to Russia because of the law.

i dont think he literally meant is was going to be hard, he was simply stating he didn't like their laws. which is what everyone is saying

Last edited by a moderator:

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Dear god. People shouldn't keep their mouth shut about human rights just for sports. Good for him.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Dear god. People shouldn't keep their mouth shut about human rights just for sports. Good for him.

IMHO, sports is simply entertainment as much as I enjoy it. So maybe I'm not the norm but entertainment pushing whatever social equality is what ever in my book. All that said...tactically I see why AO obstained. More interested in seeing what is said after the olympics.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
The IOC decided to put the olympics in a frozen banana republic and people are surprised that they have 3rd world human rights. Can't wait for the hand-wringing that's going to take place during the Qatar World Cup!

It sucks that as a nation they don't treat their population fairly, but it's too late to do anything about it. Maybe the spotlight will help. Or maybe NBC will give us yet another reason to hate their coverage of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad