OT: 2014 Sochi Olympics Team Canada Announcement Tuesday on TSN

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You mean like his supporters always toss in the he was an NHL allstar,( voted in by fans) or like where he finished in the Norris voting all the while dismissing the winner of the said trophy..... Or that now his plus minus stat is valid and last years giveway stats were not.

Very few if any people call him a worthless piece of garbage.....more then a few however feel that he is over paid as he is paid as if he is Elite when the selectors of team Canada disagree.

Other elite players didn't make it as well

wulfio*

He as definitely brought to the team for those intangibles but with the lack of Alex Semin on the team, Kulemin will likely play with Malkin due to their proven chemistry.

don't know about that. are you really going to put radulov, ovechkin, and kovalchuk will be 3 of the top 4 wingers. Then you have 1 spot for tarasenko, kulemin, and all the rest. I doubt they'd want to stick a bunch of kids in more defensive roles.

I bet kulemin plays with anisimov.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
All the guys you mentioned are right-handed defenseman, which makes it easier to make the simple plays off the boards (among others). You don't know how much TC fancied Phaneuf on his off-side. They very well may have been looking at him on the left side, by which Vlasic, Hamhuis, and Bouwmeester were selected ahead of him.

With Phaneuf being a bubble guy I doubt they would want to look at him as anything other than what he has been playing. That said even if I was okay with a lefty shot on right side as a selection committee member I'd take all those guys over him and nor do I see that as a shot at him those guys are all elite.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
You mean like his supporters always toss in the he was an NHL allstar,( voted in by fans) or like where he finished in the Norris voting all the while dismissing the winner of the said trophy..... Or that now his plus minus stat is valid and last years giveway stats were not.

Very few if any people call him a worthless piece of garbage.....more then a few however feel that he is over paid as he is paid as if he is Elite when the selectors of team Canada disagree.

My favourite are those clamouring at advanced statistics to prove Dion's worth, but Grabovski, who was a demi-god in the spectrum of advanced statistics, is garbage.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL rink size 200 X 85 verses International size 200 X 100.

This makes skating ability a very high priority for the selection committee.

Phaneuf's skating and lack of mobility would be a serious detriment to Team Canada and a major reason for his omission.

If this event would have been played on NA ice Phaneuf's chances might have increased.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

Phaneuf's skating and lack of mobility would be a serious detriment to Team Canada and a major reason for his omission.

If this event would have been played on NA ice Phaneuf's chances might have increased.

Gotta call a spade a spade. Can't disagree there.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Datsyuk and Kule could be killing penalties for Russia. Just my thinking.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009

Kulemin on the big ice >>>>>>>>>>>> Kulemin in the NHL. With more time and space I think we'll see Kulemin's offensive talent way more than we usually do, even while retaining a checking line role.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
the only players i don't like on this team are jeff carter, and kunitz for forwards. don't understand how hamhuis made the d-squad. and for the goalies, would rather have harding instead of smith. harding has played ridiculously well for the wild.

carter
kunitz
hamhuis
smith

or

giroux
MSL
Seabrook/Phaneuf (yes, i'm a homer)
Harding

which group looks better? or which four players would you rather have on your team? yzerman ****ed up a bit. but whatever!

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
the only players i don't like on this team are jeff carter, and kunitz for forwards. don't understand how hamhuis made the d-squad. and for the goalies, would rather have harding instead of smith. harding has played ridiculously well for the wild.

carter
kunitz
hamhuis
smith

or

giroux
MSL
Seabrook/Phaneuf (yes, i'm a homer)
Harding

which group looks better? or which four players would you rather have on your team? yzerman ****ed up a bit. but whatever!

Didn't Harding end up on the IR?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Didn't Harding end up on the IR?

oh didn't realize that. but still he could've been ready by the time sochi came around. plus stamkos was chosen while he's still injured. injury should prevent a player from being named to team canada unless it a season-ending injury or something.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The only justification for no MSL as far as I can see is that you have Perry and Sharp on the RW side .. Stammer is also a right handed shot

With Crosby, Toews, and Getz already down the middle (and Bergeron likely pencilled in the #4C role) .. Not to mention Tavares .. I figure Stammer would play the RW as well and that's assuming he plays (if he's still injured, MSL is likely the top candidate to take his spot)

Perhaps it's just a case of not enough room for him ...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

It is an issue on NA ice and why would his chances increase if we took better skaters on the larger ice surface does it not make the better skaters even more effective on smaller ice when defending.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

There will still be Leaf fans that don't understand why Phaneuf wasn't selected. Common sense, really. Big ice is not a friend for Phaneuf!!!

Now, on an NA ice surface of 200'x85', he has a better chance for selection. However, given the selection committee this time around, he still might have been left off the team!

wulfio*

It is an issue on NA ice and why would his chances increase if we took better skaters on the larger ice surface does it not make the better skaters even more effective on smaller ice when defending.

i think he's just throwing a bone to the leaf fan boys so they don't spaz about how Phaneuf just isn't that good.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
The only justification for no MSL as far as I can see is that you have Perry and Sharp on the RW side .. Stammer is also a right handed shot

With Crosby, Toews, and Getz already down the middle (and Bergeron likely pencilled in the #4C role) .. Not to mention Tavares .. I figure Stammer would play the RW as well and that's assuming he plays (if he's still injured, MSL is likely the top candidate to take his spot)

Perhaps it's just a case of not enough room for him ...

Getz most likely plays on the wing as he did in Vancouver. Tavares is not a winger. Stammer on the wing if he is in.

For other posters above, after Perry and Stammer, Carter is the most pure sniper this country has. Carter will skate with Crosby and Kunitz out of the gate; Perry with Getz and Stammer with Toews or Tavares.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
And it's all his fault.
ALL of it.

:facepalm:

Thats not what I'm inferring at all but at some point, over 5 years, you'd expect to see some sort of improvement from your defensive unit at least ONCE. Phaneuf has seen two coaches, and how many different personnel during that time? Yet, our defence has looked consistently respectable for about 48 games during our supposed anchors entire time here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad