OT: 2014 Redskins Part VI: Winning the Offseason! (4-12-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have to think, losing Josh Gordon, was a tough blow.

I have to think, losing Johnny Manziel, would not be a tough blow.

Gordan posted some absolutely mind boggling numbers, in his limited reps. I was hoping we would have grabbed him since he had rapport with Griffin.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I have to think, losing Josh Gordon, was a tough blow.

I have to think, losing Johnny Manziel, would not be a tough blow.

Gordan posted some absolutely mind boggling numbers, in his limited reps. I was hoping we would have grabbed him since he had rapport with Griffin.

Cleveland receives: 5OA, Pierre Garcon
Washington receives: 12OA, 19OA, 77OA, Josh Gordon

Cleveland gets their QB and a desperately needed receiver. Washington gets picks for their rebuild, and a reclamation project at WR for 2016 since they have no shot at competing in 2015.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Want no part of Josh Gordon unless he shows clear signs of getting his **** together.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Probably a better chance we deal with Cleveland. Cleveland has 12 and 19 this year. Cleveland's QB coach is working out with MM prior to the draft. Hoyer won't be back and Johnny is Johnny. They are also not in our division or conference. Makes too much sense if indeed MM falls to 5.

that would be pretty crazy. 3 picks in top 37 or whatever. 3 starters, if done right

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah...this team has enough drama. Let's not add a guy who continually gets suspended.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah...this team has enough drama. Let's not add a guy who continually gets suspended.

Again, he won't be around the team next year. He is suspended without pay for 1 year, at least. We would own his rights and that would be our entire involvement for next season. He also blew his shot at UFA status so when he does come back he's under contract for one more season. He has the talent to be a top five receiver in this league. I just don't see the big deal about adding a guy and seeing if he can get his **** together in 2016. This team desperately needs talent.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
How much could the Skins get off PHI if Mariota is available? Kelly says he wants Mariota, trading with a division opponent aside, how much for PHI to move up?

Gil Brandt's top 3 needs for the Skins at 5:

5. Washington Redskins
2014 record: 4-12 (.496)
Top three needs: Pass rusher, DB, OT
Top-rated prospects at positional needs: Pass rusher: Leonard Williams (USC), Shane Ray (Missouri), Dante Fowler, Jr. (Florida); CB: Marcus Peters (Washington), Trae Waynes (Michigan State), Kevin Johnson (Wake Forest); S: Landon Collins (Alabama), Gerod Holliman (Louisville), Derron Smith (Fresno State); OT: Brandon Scherff (Iowa), Cedric Ogbuehi (Texas A&M), La'el Collins (LSU).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-draft-order-top-three-needs-for-all-32-teams

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd require the exact same price we paid for RGIII if I dealt with the Eagles. Or at the very least, 2015 & 2016 1sts and 2nds and a 2017 2nd. They're in our division, therefore the price is higher, and we'd be moving from #5 to #20 which is significant.

If those are our Redskins in order according to Mayock, I flip it to OL, DL, DB. Build the lines.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Again, he won't be around the team next year. He is suspended without pay for 1 year, at least. We would own his rights and that would be our entire involvement for next season. He also blew his shot at UFA status so when he does come back he's under contract for one more season. He has the talent to be a top five receiver in this league. I just don't see the big deal about adding a guy and seeing if he can get his **** together in 2016. This team desperately needs talent.

Because he's continually proven he can't get his **** together and this team needs more character guys not add someone of Gordon's ilk.

This team needs talent but WR is hardly a problem area at the moment. There is also no guarantee when or if Gordon will even be reinstated.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Because he's continually proven he can't get his **** together and this team needs more character guys not add someone of Gordon's ilk.

This team needs talent but WR is hardly a problem area at the moment. There is also no guarantee when or if Gordon will even be reinstated.

He had some drinks. I'm not going to crucify him for that.

And what about in 2016? DeSean's contract is up, Garcon is likely gone, and Roberts more than likely is gone. There is a good possibility Ryan Grant is the only receiver from 2014 still on the roster. Again, what are you losing if he's not reinstated? Nothing.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
He had some drinks. I'm not going to crucify him for that.

And what about in 2016? DeSean's contract is up, Garcon is likely gone, and Roberts more than likely is gone. There is a good possibility Ryan Grant is the only receiver from 2014 still on the roster. Again, what are you losing if he's not reinstated? Nothing.

We look at that differently I suppose. He's had so many second chances dating back to college and still doesn't get it at the pro level.

This team shouldn't be looking that far ahead anyway and there is no guarantee he'll return being the same player he was nor is there any guarantee he'll stay out of trouble. I don't want to run on an optimistic premise with Gordon.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We look at that differently I suppose. He's had so many second chances dating back to college and still doesn't get it at the pro level.

This team shouldn't be looking that far ahead anyway and there is no guarantee he'll return being the same player he was nor is there any guarantee he'll stay out of trouble. I don't want to run on an optimistic premise with Gordon.

2016 is not that far ahead. Its one season. Do you expect them to compete in 2015?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
2016 is not that far ahead. Its one season. Do you expect them to compete in 2015?

Do you expect them to compete in 2016 either? Can you assume Gordon will get reinstated after many chances? Will he return to form? Will he truly mature and avoid trouble for the REST of his career?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do you expect them to compete in 2016 either? Can you assume Gordon will get reinstated after many chances? Will he return to form? Will he truly mature and avoid trouble for the REST of his career?

I expect them to be closer in 2016, especially if they pull off a big trade. I can't assume any of those things. I do know that he'll have one year left on his contract for the 2016 season and I think he'd be worth a shot to see if he got his **** together.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I expect them to be closer in 2016, especially if they pull off a big trade. I can't assume any of those things. I do know that he'll have one year left on his contract for the 2016 season and I think he'd be worth a shot to see if he got his **** together.

And I don't, that's where we stand I suppose.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Josh Gordon is worth a shot, but does he have any shots left?

Skins have more pressing needs to address then getting involved with a talented player with an addiction/common sense problem.

All the wholes that need to be filled on this team aside, the main goal for McGlou and the team is a culture change. Culture of winning and developing drafted players. Gordon doesn't fit that narrative.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Josh Gordon is worth a shot, but does he have any shots left?

Skins have more pressing needs to address then getting involved with a talented player with an addiction/common sense problem.

All the wholes that need to be filled on this team aside, the main goal for McGlou and the team is a culture change. Culture of winning and developing drafted players. Gordon doesn't fit that narrative.

Plus, McG is a guy who has his own substance issues and is on a "let's see how things go" third-chance work pass because he's one of the best in the league at what he does. Gordon is the poster child for failed chances in the NFL and potentially one of the best receivers in the league.

It's quite a parallel, and maybe more of a potential problem for both. Could also be a massive redemption story if it works out. High risk/reward.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Let me go on record and say if we let Garcon go, we will not be able to draft and develop a WR that could hold a torch to his farts, for a least the next decade. Maybe 2.

It will be a mistake to think we can replace him short and long term.

Are we talking about moving him for lame duck cap room? The NFL cap is a joke and easily circumvented by teams loaded up on cash. Restructure some contracts into bonuses, and actually start drafting lineman so we dont have to pay out the ass for the Chesters, Lauvaos, Hatchers, and Bowens that come here for their last big payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad