2014 NHL Re-Draft top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I am not sure how to respond to this is another, we are Leafs fans and we are hated type of posts.

My reply was on Ehlers, and why the poster was saying he at #2 or #3 was outrageous based on his play in the NHL thus far but again this is turning into another thread about Nylander and unless posters here agree that he is #2 to Ekblad. We are all haters.

Can you drop the holier-than-thou attitude? You try to present yourself as "unbiased", neutral poster, but anyone who's seen your posts on the Leafs board, knows that's not true and that's fine. Everyone is biased and has their own opinions, but it gets annoying seeing you constantly talking down and being condescending to others who have a different opinion than you.

The poster you quoted even said that there's nothing wrong with Ehlers being number 2, so how is he being outrageous. Actually, the better question might be: why are you making things up?

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
If you move the goalposts to where you can say Fleury can be ranked #1 and Nylander at #65 then what is the point?

It actually has to have some legitimate rationale that a honest objective fan can buy into.

1)Ekblad is a no brainer

2)Reihart is not wowing anyone but his recent play suggests he is marginally worthy of the #2 overall

3)Draisaitl had a rough start and dispassionate 5 games in the AHL but there is no doubt he is a premier talent and is showing it now. He doesnt leech off RNH and Hall, he holds is own and makes them even better.

4)Bennett- looks ineffective, then looks great. I would drop him down but hes starting to roll with Gaudreau.

Dal Colle -does not look ready and might have issues off ice that are not his fault but are slowing his development. Isnt in the top 10 for now.

5)Ehlers - Ehlers is #5 because he is flourishing at the NHL level and has all the trademarks of a guy who will pot 30 or even 40 goals and 80 points one day. He isnt there yet but he is a 20 goal guy right now who is dangerous almost every shift.

6) Larkin- had a fast start and is talented but I dont know if he can keep it up or improve upon his talent the way the others will who were drafted in the top 10 will? #6 for now but is definitely a top 10 talent so far

7)Nylander - is #7 because while he has high end skill, he is not in the NHL and he isnt exactly setting the AHL on fire. He has a point a game which is fine but if he was #2 on this list he would be fighting for the AHL scoring title or thereabouts in the top 5. Once he gets to the Leafs we can see how he does and judge another day

8)Pasternak - is playing well in Boston but I think his ceiling is lower than these others who will push past him as they develop. I dont see high end skill plays form him as much as these others.

9) Ritchie - is a much better prospect than he was a year ago but again, he has limited time in the AHL butis flying, While he has a point a game with 8 of them goals, I would prefer to give him some more time.

10)Mc Cann -while he only has 5 points so far he has a world class shot and instincts. He was drafted way too late and I rank him at 10 with expectations he will soon pass a few of these others.

Fleury is a project. His development will take years and so while he could very well end up almost as good as Ekblad, today is not that day.

Virtanen is likewise a long term project. He has the physical tools and speed but does not have the IQ of the others and Benning keeping him up in vancouver is pure political theater. Feel bad for Shinkaruk and Gaunce.

I have tried to be as objective as I can. I suppose we can all sit here and disagree all day but in the end we have to back up the claim with reasonable rationale.

Reinhart will never wow anybody. He just does everything right in the most boring way.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Except that you're wrong and he's not, but you're allowed to be uninformed :nod:

yet another leafs fan telling me im wrong, when everyone else who's not a blatant homer knows I'm right.

Remember when leafs fans were saying Gauthier was gonna be an elite bergeron 1C? haha you guys hype your prospects up so much it's ridiculous.

Nah every time I've seen Nylander he's been unimpressive. Meanwhile, Ehlers is wowing at every step of the way.
Honestly, Ehlers >>>> Nylander AINEC.

but hey, you're allowed to be a homer :nod:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reinhart will never wow anybody. He just does everything right in the most boring way.

I agree with this analysis. Reinhart is not flashy, but that does not mean he is not good. He's a smart cerebral player that is getting better. Wow is not always necessarily better. Sometimes quietly efficient is preferred.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
yet another leafs fan telling me im wrong, when everyone else who's not a blatant homer knows I'm right.

Remember when leafs fans were saying Gauthier was gonna be an elite bergeron 1C? haha you guys hype your prospects up so much it's ridiculous.

Nah every time I've seen Nylander he's been unimpressive. Meanwhile, Ehlers is wowing at every step of the way.

You must have picked games where he was off then. He's the best player by a landslide on one of the AHL's top teams. I don't remember people saying Gauthier was going to turn into Bergeron either. I like how you call him a homer while it is pretty clear you're not objective in your posts about Leafs assets either.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Wasn't Cody Hodgson the next Toews, with his amazing intangibles and leadership? All fanbases say insane things but I don't think it was common among us to project Freddy as a 1c. I'm sure if I dig through the archives I can find insane things for a prospect for all 30 teams, Leafs, Habs and co will probably have the most due to fan base size, but have fun knocking an entire fan base just because its in a populated area and love their team. NHL would be so much better if all fanbases were small and didn't discus there team online.....

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Wasn't Cody Hodgson the next Toews, with his amazing intangibles and leadership? All fanbases say insane things but I don't think it was common among us to project Freddy as a 1c. I'm sure if I dig through the archives I can find insane things for a prospect for all 30 teams, Leafs, Habs and co will probably have the most due to fan base size, but have fun knocking an entire fan base just because its in a populated area and love their team. NHL would be so much better if all fanbases were small and didn't discus there team online.....

Well said.

I can't remember one Leaf fan who said Goat will be a 1C.

Also, it's funny how everyone was ripping a poster for having Nylander number 2 on his re-draft, yet everyone's ok with that Desmond guy constantly attacking Nylander.

For instance, the following post is far worse than someone having Nylander ranked number 2 on whatever list, yet it didn't get any of the heat that the Nylander ranking post got.

Except that he's extremely mediocre and way less skilled than Ehlers

:shakehead

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
That wasn't a "we are Leaf fans everyone hates us" type post. That was I'm tired of your BS, and your self proclamation as a "objective leaf fan".

The poster you quoted didn't have a problem with Ehlers being #2-3. If you actually read you would see that he said you can't put him #2-3 definitevly or put a large gap between Ehlers or 5 other guys in the draft (inclouding Nylander) as 2-7 are all equally calibre prospects, a claim with which Most people agree.

Thank you. He twisted my post to make it seem as though I was arguing over Ehlers being #2-3. When in reality I did no such thing, in fact I ranked him in the same area.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
If you move the goalposts to where you can say Fleury can be ranked #1 and Nylander at #65 then what is the point?

Except there's a pretty clear difference between ranking Nylander #2 and ranking Fleury as #1...

It actually has to have some legitimate rationale that a honest objective fan can buy into.

Oh give it a rest, I think we all know that an "honest objective fan" does not exist.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Yeah except he was 21 when that happened and McCann is 19.

The thread is based off of redrafting right now. And as of right now, Jared McCann has the stats to back up that he's a top 10 pick.

Baertschi had 3 goals in 5 games for us back in the day.... Pretty small sample size. But I can understand why you're excited.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Of all the ridiculous things HF claims Leafs fans have said, this never happened the hardest. Jesus Christ.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Of all the ridiculous things HF claims Leafs fans have said, this never happened the hardest. Jesus Christ.

He is right. There were some Leafs fans that mentioned Gauthier may be a Bergeron 2.0. We know this because these same Leafs fans used Bergeron's points totals in his draft year and compared them to Gauthier's. Obcourse now looking back it seems far less likely that that comparison was made. But it was back when Gauthier was first drafted.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thank you. He twisted my post to make it seem as though I was arguing over Ehlers being #2-3. When in reality I did no such thing, in fact I ranked him in the same area.

Can you drop the holier-than-thou attitude? You try to present yourself as "unbiased", neutral poster, but anyone who's seen your posts on the Leafs board, knows that's not true and that's fine. Everyone is biased and has their own opinions, but it gets annoying seeing you constantly talking down and being condescending to others who have a different opinion than you.

The poster you quoted even said that there's nothing wrong with Ehlers being number 2, so how is he being outrageous. Actually, the better question might be: why are you making things up?

This post bears repeating since there seems to be a misunderstanding on both your parts of my post.

Let me know if you want to talk about this post.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=109088387&postcount=973

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Honestly, what do you want? Anytime someone posts a list with Nylander ranked high, you criticize it. When they explain their reasoning, you just say they're biased in a condescending manner.

Againt with the victim card:laugh:

I am not after you, but after all the leaf shenaniganz and ruining of all threads this past summer, there is some recentment towards the heaps of casual Toronto fans, whos only hockey knowledge comes from TO media, and we all know they aint objctive.

Oh give me a break.... There are plenty of posters (some Jets fans) who have put Ehlers at 2-3 and Nylander at 8-10 and you haven't said a thing about that.

You're clearly not going to listen to reason regarding Nylander, you have made that beyond obvious.

Here's why I ranked Nylander 2nd:

I believe the Ekblad is the best player in the draft and then there is a 2nd tier of Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin and Bennett. I think all 4 of them are close and it's truly personal preference.

I prefer Nylander because I believe he will be an elite #1C in the NHL. I have watched Nylander play in Sweden and in the AHL and if you actually watch him you can see just how off the charts his skill is.

I ranked him higher than Ehlers because I think Ehlers will be a #1W and I just prefer a #1C.

I rated him higher than Larkin because I think he has a higher ceiling and will be the better player 5-6 years from now.

Lastly, him and Bennett are really close for me. They were the 2 players I wanted the Leafs to get on draft day, but didn't think either would fall. Luckily Nylander did. The thing is they are also two very different players and bring different skill sets. They're both future stars and I rated Nylander higher because I think he has higher natural offensive talent.

I think you need to give me a break dude:laugh:

I like Nylander, and have complemented him often.

this all started because of the Willie pumping a few months ago, now all the reasons used to support why people ranked him high are moot, since the other players are at a higher level and producing. then you guys just disregard those reasons and come up with new ones.

you honestly think I am just after you guys and Nylander, im not!

YOU clearly wont listen to why so many people in herr are commenting og leafs rankings, and it has nothing to so with you guys being leafs.

I havent seen to many Jets put Ehlers 2nd and nor would I.

This is not about Ehlers or Larkin, but Nylander.. And how have I made that obvious? I have seen very, VERY few reasonable arguments to support Nylander, so how on earth can you make that claim?

You are one of the first to give a somewhat useable reasoning, and I like that, that was all I asked.
So please stop with the personalization and victimization.

But lets leave it at that, I doubt we would agree on alot of things anyway!

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Baertschi had 3 goals in 5 games for us back in the day.... Pretty small sample size. But I can understand why you're excited.

and there's probably a bunch of good players who starter their NHL careers well. baertschi at the time was a grand slam prospect, so it's not like it was some random coincidence.

I hate when people post arguments like that, you do realize it goes both ways right?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

I bet you haven't watched Nylander at all. Maybe a game or two at the World Juniors. But you keep on trying! LOL who ever said that about Gauthier? Literally nobody.

Your credibility matches your ability to take a wrist shot :laugh: the bolded proves that

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I bet you haven't watched Nylander at all. Maybe a game or two at the World Juniors. But you keep on trying! LOL who ever said that about Gauthier? Literally nobody.

Your credibility matches your ability to take a wrist shot :laugh: the bolded proves that

Oooh onto personal attacks now. Someone is a bit salty...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Lol, proof?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad