2014 NHL Free Agency...Fizzle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Report: Edmonton Oilers defenceman Jeff Petry available via trade

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...rs-defenceman-jeff-petry-available-via-trade/

2. The team is confident it can replace Petry in free agency. The Oilers have been talking to free agent defencemen – among other names, those of Mark Fayne and Kyle quincey have surfaced. If, for instance, Edmonton is confident it can sign Fayne (a 6’3″, right-shooting defender with a range of skills) than moving a guy like Petry (also a 6’3″, right-shooting defender with a range of skills) for help at centre or on the wing is plausible. It seems unwise, given the mess that is the Oilers’ blue line, but it’s not as nutty as just souring on Petry.

Kadri?

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I gotta say I'm quite happy with what the organization did. They got the right mix of what was missing from our D in Polak and Robidas. Our D was too soft and now we move forward with the most important pieces, Dion, Gardiner and Reilly, still here.

The forward core needed better role players and the one that we got that is still young is ours and the only one signed to a long term deal. Nonis has set up as though if the best and youngest players don't continue to progress and develop, we will likely have a bad season and we will have a few cheap pieces that are attractive in free agency.

I personally think this team will be better then last years. I expect improvements from Reilly and Kadri as well as even possibly Kessel a bit. Bernier is certainly good enough to steal a bunch of games for us. If this happens we continue tweeking the roster over the next few years to bring us to the next level.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Report: Edmonton Oilers defenceman Jeff Petry available via trade

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...rs-defenceman-jeff-petry-available-via-trade/

Kadri?

No?

Can we please just stop with the trade Kadri talk? Especially for players that we don't need.

I promise all of you that Kadri will get better if given the time to further develop here. All of the things he's knocked for (i.e. face-offs, defensive play, board work, etc.) will improve with age as he continues to fill out and gain strength.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I'd love Petry, the kids a stud and I think he could play defence with Dion, while giving Phaneuf the ability to play more offensively. Didn't Edmonton like Franson? This move could also allow us to put Dion back on the left side where I think he is better suited.

Phaneuf - Petry
Gardiner - Robidas
Rielly - Polak

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd love Petry, the kids a stud and I think he could play defence with Dion, while giving Phaneuf the ability to play more offensively. Didn't Edmonton like Franson? This move could also allow us to put Dion back on the left side where I think he is better suited.

Phaneuf - Petry
Gardiner - Robidas
Rielly - Polak
Franson/Holland for Petry?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Are you proposing a deal that has Kadri for Petry as the centerpieces? No. Thank. You.

Why not, Petry is a pretty solid Defenseman but they are also looking for a winger maybe Lupul but how about Kadri, Lupul and a second for Petry and Edmonton's 1st and possibly a lottery pick shot at McDavid.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I gotta say I'm quite happy with what the organization did. They got the right mix of what was missing from our D in Polak and Robidas. Our D was too soft and now we move forward with the most important pieces, Dion, Gardiner and Reilly, still here.

The forward core needed better role players and the one that we got that is still young is ours and the only one signed to a long term deal. Nonis has set up as though if the best and youngest players don't continue to progress and develop, we will likely have a bad season and we will have a few cheap pieces that are attractive in free agency.

I personally think this team will be better then last years. I expect improvements from Reilly and Kadri as well as even possibly Kessel a bit. Bernier is certainly good enough to steal a bunch of games for us. If this happens we continue tweeking the roster over the next few years to bring us to the next level.

I liked what we did and moreso what we avoided.

Bolland AND Clarkson each at 5+ probably wouldn't be great for our near future.

It's hurts our centre depth to lose Bolland, but we need to start replacing from within and supplement with short term guys on cheap deals. You look at what we got from Raymond for 1 million, maybe Santa provides something similar this year.

I like the addition subtraction on D so far. I like the idea that Reilly and Granberg can be insulated with experienced D men. I also think it's time to see what Gardiner can do and give him heavy minutes with Dion. Even better would be acquiring someone who would be better suited as a #2, but again you have to rely on internal growth.

Our core guys are still young enough where we can withstand a couple more growth years, while even more prospects are added and existing prospects graduate through the system.

patience is the key

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

Phaneuf - Petry
Gardiner - Robidas
Rielly - Polak

I don't know but I don't think Petry is a solid fit along with Dion. I'd rather have a more defensively responsible guy who we can slot in with him to ease pressure off.

A guy like Karl Alzner will be perfect. Maybe someone like Zbynek Michalek (although he didn't work out in Pittsburgh and wasn't able to acclimate himself to the East, he's more comfortable in the West).

Alec Martinez would be solid as well.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What is wrong with you people, we DO NOT need Kane on this team, nevermind trading Kadri/Rielly/Gardiner and all that other crap..

Our first and 2nd lines are honestly fine, leave them alone and let them play a full year.

Priorities are... #2 Defenseman and a #1 Center, those are the only
options we should be lookin at if we're willing to trade our young guys.(which we shouldn't)

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
From Newsday...Isles will likely shop Grabner and/or Bailey for a second pairing D.

either would be a nice add to the top 6/9

take a bit of convincing that Franson is a 2nd pair dman but I could see something like that working

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
From Newsday...Isles will likely shop Grabner and/or Bailey for a second pairing D.

either would be a nice add to the top 6/9

take a bit of convincing that Franson is a 2nd pair dman but I could see something like that working

Could want Bailey. Not too sure on his defensive game, but no thanks to Grabner..

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
2 good seasons you mean. Cause if the shortened season doesn't count then I'm not sure why you would value Kadri.

48 17 16 33 ...56pts over 82
48 18 26 44 ...75pts over 82

one of these is a little better than the other.

so, no, the shortened season doesnt count as a 'good' season, unless you consider 56 points good. I wouldnt offer JVR+ or any of the crazy proposals based on a projected 56 point season followed by one even worse.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Grabner also disappears though. He's not very consistent.

the idea is trading for Franson so can't really expect to much on the return :)

Leafs have the depth for a guy like that. when he's on ride him. when he's not pull his minutes.

they need more talent which both those guys would add

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
the idea is trading for Franson so can't really expect to much on the return :)

Leafs have the depth for a guy like that. when he's on ride him. when he's not pull his minutes.

they need more talent which both those guys would add

TBH, I'd rather pay Bailey then Grabner.

Tyler Biggs*

Santorelli and Bodie are solid signings, at low value. On what planet is Kulemin worth 4.2 mil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad