2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I'd seriously look into trading our #1 pick. Very few players interest me in the draft and at our position they'll probably be gone. I don't want another 5 years project.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'd seriously look into trading our #1 pick. Very few players interest me in the draft and at our position they'll probably be gone. I don't want another 5 years project.

Too many players are UFA's and Bergevin won't lose assets without a return, more likely he may package picks for a higher 1st OV than trade any away. His mandate is to build through the draft remember, there aren't any big names like the 2015 draft, but some very good 2nd line centers and wingers.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

You do that in 2-3 years when you are possibly 1-2 players from a cup.

Even if the player you draft won't be a finished product when the team contends, he can A-be trade bait to add a key piece or B-join the team as cheap, young talent later in their "peak cycle" like guys like Maata Pouliot and co will do with Pittsburgh and possibly allow you to move higher priced vets.

If you can get a guy like Barabashev mid 1st round, that's a great pick...very solid all around player, can play LW or C, 2 way guy with size and creativity.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

I agree. Odds are at this point that the player they could get in return will give more to the organization than most players they could select in the 17-19 range.

The team should peak 2 years from now with Galchenyuk and Gallagher starting to play some of their best hockey + Price and Subban playing their best hockey. I wouldn't mind trading the first round pick along with either one of Beaulieu and/or Tinordi to a re-building team. That first round pick will likely be a project who will still either be in college or junior hockey at this point and still be 2 to 3 more years away from being a role player.

Trading Markov would be a good thing as well if they can get a player who's been in the AHL for a year or 2 and starting to playing in the NHL as he could peak about the same time as Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
You do that in 2-3 years when you are possibly 1-2 players from a cup.

Even if the player you draft won't be a finished product when the team contends, he can A-be trade bait to add a key piece or B-join the team as cheap, young talent later in their "peak cycle" like guys like Maata Pouliot and co will do with Pittsburgh and possibly allow you to move higher priced vets.

If you can get a guy like Barabashev mid 1st round, that's a great pick...very solid all around player, can play LW or C, 2 way guy with size and creativity.

There are always guys that are overlooked each year and with the Habs scouting they are more likely to find those types than any other team. That's going by their combined records for finding those gems, Bergevin and Dudley are also considered to be in the top 1% of talent evaluators as well as Timmins and the staff of scouts he has to work with. When a team has a strength like that it's almost criminal not to use the picks, IMHO.:nod:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
There are always guys that are overlooked each year and with the Habs scouting they are more likely to find those types than any other team. That's going by their combined records for finding those gems, Bergevin and Dudley are also considered to be in the top 1% of talent evaluators as well as Timmins and the staff of scouts he has to work with. When a team has a strength like that it's almost criminal not to use the picks, IMHO.:nod:

Timmins isn't above average in the first two rounds as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't overlook trading the pick simply because Timmins is HS.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I agree. Odds are at this point that the player they could get in return will give more to the organization than most players they could select in the 17-19 range.

The team should peak 2 years from now with Galchenyuk and Gallagher starting to play some of their best hockey + Price and Subban playing their best hockey. I wouldn't mind trading the first round pick along with either one of Beaulieu and/or Tinordi to a re-building team. That first round pick will likely be a project who will still either be in college or junior hockey at this point and still be 2 to 3 more years away from being a role player.

Trading Markov would be a good thing as well if they can get a player who's been in the AHL for a year or 2 and starting to playing in the NHL as he could peak about the same time as Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

The team could start peaking in 2 years, but it's not a 1 year thing. If you have a good core you can stay among the top 4-5 teams for 5-7 years, hence why you need young players coming up the pipeline.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

What type of player would you expect to get in return? For that price, we have to look at something substantial.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The team could start peaking in 2 years, but it's not a 1 year thing. If you have a good core you can stay among the top 4-5 teams for 5-7 years, hence why you need young players coming up the pipeline.

I think that the last 2 drafts gave the Habs enough quality young players to afford giving up on a high draft pick this year, if the right player comes back. One thing is for sure: that player has to be Habs property for at least the next 3 years and be a part of that core... Otherwise, I'm not interested.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
What type of player would you expect to get in return? For that price, we have to look at something substantial.

For sure, we're not talking Steve Ott here. Either a pending UFA willing to re-sign a la Tomas Vanek or someone with some years left to his contract. Hard to speculate at this point. We'll know more closer at the trade deadline.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Usually teams that draft their 1st believe to be close to contender, unless we get a star player with that first i don't think we are close to being contenders. We should continue to pile-up the prospects, appart from Reway we don't have a single potential first liner, and Reway is far from the NHL if he makes it at all. When Tinordi is going to be promoted to the big team, our defence pool will look awfully thin. We still need to draft another Patch/Beaulieu.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Usually teams that draft their 1st believe to be close to contender, unless we get a star player with that first i don't think we are close to being contenders. We should continue to pile-up the prospects, appart from Reway we don't have a single potential first liner, and Reway is far from the NHL if he makes it at all. When Tinordi is going to be promoted to the big team, our defence pool will look awfully thin. We still need to draft another Patch/Beaulieu.

The Wild did it last year with Pominville. It's all about stacking up for when your window of opportunity is open.

As for getting 1st line talent. Habs had their chance last year with their first round pick but we all know what they did ;)

Doubt they get a first line talent with their first pick this year. I think the best value when it comes down to the 17s - 20s in this draft is with Fabbri. Doubt many Habs fans will be interested at all but I don't think there's that many players who will bring much value late in the first round with the way things are going.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Is Perlini projected to go top 10? He reminds me of Pacioretty with his size, speed, and shot. He's producing at a decent pace this year, but seemingly came out of nowhere after a pretty disappointing rookie season (from a production stand point).

Kasperi Kapanen oozes skill. Not sure if his hockey sense is up there, but looks like a Teravainen. Obviously there's the size factor, but with his character, skill, skating, and genes he should make the NHL.

Are there any big bodied wingers in the mold of a Tarasenko / Toffoli available in the 15-25 range?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The Wild did it last year with Pominville. It's all about stacking up for when your window of opportunity is open.

As for getting 1st line talent. Habs had their chance last year with their first round pick but we all know what they did ;)

Doubt they get a first line talent with their first pick this year. I think the best value when it comes down to the 17s - 20s in this draft is with Fabbri. Doubt many Habs fans will be interested at all but I don't think there's that many players who will bring much value late in the first round with the way things are going.

Not only Fabbri, but that's a question of opinion! I like guys like Tuch, Fiala, Vrana, Kempe and even Bleakley are interesting prospects. And you never know if a guy like Pastrnak or Ehlers falls to the 16-18 spot, remember the Sens made it to the second round and were able to draft Lazar at 16th.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Not only Fabbri, but that's a question of opinion! I like guys like Tuch, Fiala, Vrana, Kempe and even Bleakley are interesting prospects. And you never know if a guy like Pastrnak or Ehlers falls to the 16-18 spot, remember the Sens made it to the second round and were able to draft Lazar at 16th.

Sure but last year's draft was stacked. You won't get a Lazar kinda guy that far this year. Wouldn't mind some of the guys you mentionned (i.e. Vrana) but most of them are still long shots to make it to the NHL considering the value of a 1st round pick.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think that the last 2 drafts gave the Habs enough quality young players to afford giving up on a high draft pick this year, if the right player comes back. One thing is for sure: that player has to be Habs property for at least the next 3 years and be a part of that core... Otherwise, I'm not interested.

You never have enough quality youth with holes in the lineup. They won't all pan out, some early picks might bust and later ones might make it, you still have to factor a certain failure rate.

Sure but last year's draft was stacked. You won't get a Lazar kinda guy that far this year. Wouldn't mind some of the guys you mentionned (i.e. Vrana) but most of them are still long shots to make it to the NHL considering the value of a 1st round pick.

Mid 1st rounders are longshots to make the NHL? Says who?

It's weaker draft than last year, but let's not get carried away, a mid 1st rounder is still probably at least a solid NHL regular with a chance to be 1st line, 1st pair or #1 goalie.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

Barbashev is rated around 16 and I don't consider Lazar a much better prospect than him.

I actually like this draft a lot, but there's not as much depth as last year. I don't think we'll see a guy like Duclair in the end of the third round this year.

Last year would've been a good year to unload Bourque/Moen/etc because their were good prospects to be had deep into the draft.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Mid 1st rounders are longshots to make the NHL? Says who?

It's weaker draft than last year, but let's not get carried away, a mid 1st rounder is still probably at least a solid NHL regular with a chance to be 1st line, 1st pair or #1 goalie.

Habs would be picking 20th overall at this point. There's a pretty slim chance of picking a 1st line guy there. You're in role player territory at this point for most drafts. Not to mention that this draft is average to below average in terms of quality at those positions.

Also, what I meant by longshot was the likelihood that the pick would be worth the risk taken and cost to make that selection. I.e. it's a longshot that the pick would be worth say a good NHL player. Different situation and all but the Blues gave up a first and average prospects for Bouwmeester. Granted his contract was about to expire the year after, getting similar value for a first round pick this year would be much more interesting than potential role players.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Also the 18th pick in a weak draft won't get much in return, certainly not a Vanek type of pending UFA that is signing in Minnesota anyway. The Habs might get a prospect like Alex Tuch, Connor Bleackley, Anton Karlsson, Kasper Kapanen or Alex Barbashev instead of some weakass rental. If the Markov deal goes down they might be able to move up for a Jared McCann, Adrian Kempe or Nick Ritchie type that can be a core group player in a couple of yrs.:nod: For a weak draft there are some real hard working players available.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Also the 18th pick in a weak draft won't get much in return, certainly not a Vanek type of pending UFA that is signing in Minnesota anyway. The Habs might get a prospect like Alex Tuch, Connor Bleackley, Anton Karlsson, Kasper Kapanen or Alex Barbashev instead of some weakass rental. If the Markov deal goes down they might be able to move up for a Jared McCann, Adrian Kempe or Nick Ritchie type that can be a core group player in a couple of yrs.:nod: For a weak draft there are some real hard working players available.

Those guys are role players to become. Canadiens aren't role players away from being contenders. Habs are impact players away from being contenders. Besides, odds of Kapanen reaching first line status is too low compared to the value of that first round pick IMO. Nothing against Barbashev but I don't think he's a special player to become.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Is Perlini projected to go top 10? He reminds me of Pacioretty with his size, speed, and shot. He's producing at a decent pace this year, but seemingly came out of nowhere after a pretty disappointing rookie season (from a production stand point).

Probably. A lot of lists have him the 6-10 range as he has been a riser this year. I like him a fair bit given the poise he shows for a young guy with finish. But I doubt a playoff team gets him. We'd have to slide a few spots.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Barbashev is rated around 16 and I don't consider Lazar a much better prospect than him.

I actually like this draft a lot, but there's not as much depth as last year. I don't think we'll see a guy like Duclair in the end of the third round this year.

Last year would've been a good year to unload Bourque/Moen/etc because their were good prospects to be had deep into the draft.

Bourque probably had negative value, still does.

Moen had a rough year, doubt you'd get a lot for him last year. He bounced back this year.

Duclair slid because of his intagibles and being one dimensional as much as it being a deep draft.

Habs would be picking 20th overall at this point. There's a pretty slim chance of picking a 1st line guy there. You're in role player territory at this point for most drafts. Not to mention that this draft is average to below average in terms of quality at those positions.

Also, what I meant by longshot was the likelihood that the pick would be worth the risk taken and cost to make that selection. I.e. it's a longshot that the pick would be worth say a good NHL player. Different situation and all but the Blues gave up a first and average prospects for Bouwmeester. Granted his contract was about to expire the year after, getting similar value for a first round pick this year would be much more interesting than potential role players.

Picking a 1st line guy at #20 is probably a 15-25% chance but it's 3-4 times better than if your 1st pick is #50.

Just because you don't get a 1st liner it doesn't make your 1st rounder a bust. If you can get a Barbashev that will be a 45-55 point #2 center that kills penalities and plays physical. More skilled Fisher, high end 2nd liner. Or potentially a 20 minute #3 d-man with size and mobility in the Mueller mold(from past year).

If you could flip that 1st for a Yakupov sure you do it, but it would more likely be 1st plus DLR/Beaulieu/Tinordi plus Holland/LeBlanc type deal.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Those guys are role players to become. Canadiens aren't role players away from being contenders. Habs are impact players away from being contenders. Besides, odds of Kapanen reaching first line status is too low compared to the value of that first round pick IMO. Nothing against Barbashev but I don't think he's a special player to become.

Again you are entitled to believe whatever you like, even if your opinions are contrary to those of CS, ISS, McKeen's and TSN's. Who am I to say you're wrong, it's strictly your opinion and everyone else could be wrong, right?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad