GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft II: You're Either Pro-Sang or You're No-Sang (We're No-Sang)

MetalGodAOD*

I guarantee our generations were just as dumb in high school. Let's not be too old here.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Maybe it's just cause I'm 19, but I really liked what he had to say. I found his interviews really interesting. Loved all the props he was giving Dal Colle. He's a lot more well spoken than most of these guys.

MetalGodAOD*

Metal is from NY. You might have just confused him. He's not from 'round these parts.

:sarcasm:

#SouthernHospitality#DamnYankee

I actually grew up in Florida, I'm well aware of Southern mannerisms :laugh: Kids in my school in the ghetto were just as cocky/entitled/idiotic when growing up as they are now.

Idiocy doesn't skip generations.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Well diverse didn't really explain it. Ethnic seemed the best single word to describe the fact that most residents of south Florida are not from the US or their parents weren't born in the US. It's very a immigrant heavy population. See stat in previous post.

MetalGodAOD*

I wouldn't say "most" residents of South Florida are immigrants or second generation. Yes Miami-Dade has a heavy Cuban and Pureto Rican population, but South Florida also includes the very rich, white, and Jewish sections such as Boca Raton. Not to mention Hollywood, Ft Lauderdale, etc.

Anyways, getting way OT.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
ho-sang is seriously like a cross between mike ribeiro and sean avery, to me...

depending on which team you are, and how the chemistry of the team is, that may work some places and not others. ribs worked well here. not so much in phoenix or montreal. avery worked well in new york... not so much anywhere else.

ho-sang just strikes me as the kind of kid that if were his parent, you'd be proud of how diverse and existential and open-minded he is... but if he's not your kid, you'd probably be rubbed the wrong way by how flakey, pretentious, hipster, and self-important he is.

i want nothing to do with the guy. he just seems like he's too cool for school, for lack of a better term. give me an army of lehtinens and zubovs and barneses over a team of roenicks and averys and ho-sangs.

brightSTARS

Jun 4, 2014
Aaron Haydon on Instagram.
http://instagram.com/aaronhaydon28

The caption for the third picture gets me excited about this guy. "This is only a foot in the door. Time to bust it wide open." It may not mean much and may be very cliche but it shows me that this guy knows he has to put in a lot of work and he is ready to do that. We also drafted him much later than people thought he would go..

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Haydon is one I'm very excited about. He seems like a steal in the 6th round. Actually the three all taken in a row there, Karjalainen, Haydon, and Nyberg all sound very interesting. Takko's comments on Karjalainen being a mean, big guy sound awesome. He and Nyberg both sound like classic Dallas/Detroit mining talent out of the U-18 in Finland/Sweden where other teams often ignore. The question is will these guys be a Molin type pick or Klingberg.

Haydon sounds great because he's another big guy with an attitude, and Brock Otten actually thinks he could have some offensive, two-way ability to develop.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I went to high school with a guy whose last name was Karjalainen. Only Finnish kid I ever knew.....and he was a bit of a ******, lol. But that was twelve years ago. Still, it'd be crazy if they were related.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I have it on good authority that the Karjelainen family is large and quite prosperous. I'm sure they're related, the same as my Korean friends named Kim are related.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I have it on good authority that the Karjelainen family is large and quite prosperous. I'm sure they're related, the same as my Korean friends named Kim are related.

I bet they're not nearly as large a family as the Smith's ... or as diverse a bunch.

brightSTARS

Jun 4, 2014
Haydon is one I'm very excited about. He seems like a steal in the 6th round. Actually the three all taken in a row there, Karjalainen, Haydon, and Nyberg all sound very interesting. Takko's comments on Karjalainen being a mean, big guy sound awesome. He and Nyberg both sound like classic Dallas/Detroit mining talent out of the U-18 in Finland/Sweden where other teams often ignore. The question is will these guys be a Molin type pick or Klingberg.

Haydon sounds great because he's another big guy with an attitude, and Brock Otten actually thinks he could have some offensive, two-way ability to develop.

Thanks for all the work you put in with the profiles on each pick, etc. The more I read about each player the more I liked them! Can't wait to see them develop and hopefully at least one can be a home run down the road!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

I wouldn't be suprised if Haydon ends up being the best pick of the draft for us.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I posted this highlight of Pollock a while back when I mentioned him being a potential good pick in the second round. Satan, I know you were wanting a "flashy forward". Here is the highlight reel again for ya if you missed it the first time around. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwzDsQ2xAm4

I wouldn't be suprised if this is our best pick from this year's draft either. I just think we had a GREAT draft all-around. Couldn't be much happier with Nill's first draft.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad