2014 NHL Draft (Hawks pick 27th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kinda missed the point a bit? Yeah.. I think so.

It's flawed thinking. Because his father was a good player doesn't mean he'll be, but it's garnered him unwarranted attention.

If his name was John Doe, he'd be projected as a 3rd round pick. That's where he should go based on what he's done and his potential.

I bet people said the same thing about Paul Stastny prior to his draft...

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Bloodlines mean a lot, both in the player and on the ice. Not saying this one might not be a dud but the son of a player has had better inroads to getting better, quicker.

No he hasn't. He's had an easier road, which isn't necessarily beneficial. The kid would have made teams and gotten into places because of his name - and not necessarily based on merit/talent/work.

Players that get to higher levels of hockey generally come from well-off families regardless. Most of these guys have been able to do whatever they've need to, to improve themselves. Training, equipment, etc.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
No he hasn't. He's had an easier road, which isn't necessarily beneficial. The kid would have made teams and gotten into places because of his name - and not necessarily based on merit/talent/work.

Players that get to higher levels of hockey generally come from well-off families regardless. Most of these guys have been able to do whatever they've need to, to improve themselves. Training, equipment, etc.

I am sure you have watched him since his youth like some of us others have, right?

One year of OHL hockey doesn't make a career. The kid has done amazing everywhere he has gone. He stepped out of the USNDP shadow last year and put himself in a better position IMO. He has flasw no doubt about it, but I will take my years of viewing him (and others) over your short sighted times.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Do you really want to go down that road? Because the list of sons who sucked is far greater than the list of sons who went on to have meaningful NHL careers.

yet, you generalize it to suit your opinion. I merely am showing that players with bloodlines do come up and make it and have some questionable issues prior to becoming NHLers.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I am sure you have watched him since his youth like some of us others have, right?

One year of OHL hockey doesn't make a career. The kid has done amazing everywhere he has gone. He stepped out of the USNDP shadow last year and put himself in a better position IMO. He has flasw no doubt about it, but I will take my years of viewing him (and others) over your short sighted times.

I don't care what he did at 13, 14 or 15. John McFarland was a stud coming out of the Toronto Junior Canadiens. The most important years in a players development are from 15-20.

I'm not saying he sucks or won't be a player, but I'm sure as hell not going to use a 1st round pick on him if I were the Hawks. Nothing he's done suggests he's worth taking him in that spot.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

This has nothing to do with 'bloodlines'. Looking at a player's family members is the worst thing to do.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
yet, you generalize it to suit your opinion. I merely am showing that players with bloodlines do come up and make it and have some questionable issues prior to becoming NHLers.

I'm not using anything to suit my opinion. I'm saying it doesn't mean anything. Good or bad.

Players get to the NHL because they're good/great players, not because their Dad was an NHLer.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Also had Kevin Fiala outside the top-30, unless I missed something.

The Hawks will make sure that doesn't happen, if he's there at #27 and the Hawks keep their pick.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Still would want to hear...

Hawks trade Sharp for 1st Overall. Who'd you want Bowman to pick?

Easily Reinhart. I could almost live with the trade if Reinhart is coming back. If we're doing a retool to try to make this team better in the future, at least aim high. At least with a guy like Reinhart, I feel like he could step in and fill some of Sharp's production and still give us a solid chance to win during the retool.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think the Hawks should select Ekblad if we got the #1. Should fill Seabrooks role once his contract is up or he is on the downside of his career. Also allow us to move on from Oduya at the end of next year.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Johns is expected to fill that slot. Dont like the thought of drafting d at #1. Not getting the #1 pick anyways.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
twice actually, though 7th overall would have been nuts at the time (even crazier then Skille)....but the sick part is we picked Mike Blunden at 43, and guess who got picked that very next pick by Colorado?? YUP...

You're making me dream about having all of Toews, Kopitar, and Stastny.

I can only take so much punishment.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Pittsburgh could have had Sid, Geno and Toews down the middle.

I know, and I usually to avoid "coulda, shoulda, woulda" drafting because it's basically the definition of hindsight is 20/20.

But on some summer days, it's just too hard to resist. Having two of my favorite players in the NHL playing in the Indianhead, with Stastny to boot, that's drool-worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad