2014 NHL Draft (Hawks pick 27th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
all 3 writers on the NHL.com mock just released has us picking a forward - so much for the goalie suggestion...or defense :laugh:

If I read them correctly one of them didn't even have Larkin going at all in the First Round so, not going to put a ton of stock into that mock, not that I put much into them anyway, in any sport.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Moderators did a mock draft at start of playoffs ,, Just for fun

I was Hawks and selected - Nikita Scherbak, RW, Saskatoon Blades, WHL

I really hope he is available when Hawks pick

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If I read them correctly one of them didn't even have Larkin going at all in the First Round so, not going to put a ton of stock into that mock, not that I put much into them anyway, in any sport.

also one of them didn't have Fiala in the first as well I believe...so yep, agree 100% with you. Just something to read until the damn day finally arrives.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm not a scout... I don't know every player. That's for sure.

I don't care about the Mocks. I think they are fun and a good indication where most players will go. In the end, you will always have "reaches" or guys "falling"

If Fiala is available at #27, Bowman will hurry up to get him as he did with Teräväinen

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If you can get TSN, Bob McKenzie is doing his draft ranking show at 7:30 Toronto time (i.e. 15 minutes from now).

edit - here's a stream if you can't get TSN.

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'd be happy with Karlsson/Fabbri, depending on who's available.

I really like Fabbri, but I don't know that he can be as good in the NHL as he's been in the OHL at his size. He's an offensive sparkplug that'll get his nose dirty to make a play.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
I'm wondering because the draft's 1st round comes at 2 AM here in Finland, do they usually upload the Draft to nhl.com or something after it is over? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So I looked at the Bob McKenzie TSN TOP 60 and so now I will provide my target lists:

RD 1 Pick #27:
Target D---Travis Sanheim
Target F- i) Ryan McInnis (C)
ii) Adrian Kempe (LW)

Target G -- MASON MCDONALD (G)

Prediction: IF Sanheim is still on the board Stan grabs him;if not he goes with a forward...in that case he either takes the safer choice in Kempe or goes with the raw project McInnis who at 6fot 3 inches 175 lbs needs to fill out and develop but COULD either turn out great or totally bust...KEMPE could be a useful 3rd or 4th liner down the road --another in a long line of such parts we have in the system..
If picking a forward I take the gamble on MCINNIS developing into something ...
MY PREFERENCE is to take MCDONALD the goalie because he surely will not be there for us at #62 and I think he could become a top staring NHL goalie down the road..But I fear STAN will not risk on a goalie with the pick and if he does will blow it by picking Thatcher Demko instead...I like McDonald better than Demko...

Round 3 Pick #62
If we took Sanheim in round one then we take a forward here;if we took a forward in round one then we take a dman here as I predict Stan again will defer on taking a goalie till at least #88...

So Target F: ---I) William Foegele the hot riser 6ft 1 inch 180 buzz guy that Bob McKenzie ranks at #45 but most other consensus is third round ...only play high school in Canada but a lot of scouts like him now from mid second to early to mid third...
ii) Juho LammiKKo RW 6ft 3 190 --the Assat Jr. (Finland)
winger plays a 200 foot game 2=way forward with good
hockey sense and shot but good play-making skill.
iii) Anton Karlsson RW 6ft 2 194 --Frolunda Jrs SWE --
do not think he will score as much as Lammikko but CSS ranks
him a bit higher as #11 euroskater and Lammikko as #14 euroskater..

Target D:--- i) ALEXIS VANIER 6ft5 in 225 ---the big QMJHL dman is a honourable mention by Bob McKenzie ---just out of his top 60...

ii) William Laggeson 6ft 3in 205 Frolunda Jrs (SWE)--I really liked this guy at the u-18s...scored 3 goals ...noted more for defensive dman with some physical play but I saw some nice offensive potential--good point shot amd thought he was good on keeping pucks in at point ..CSS #18 euroskater...

Pick #88:

Here I think Stan fi naly goes goalie --but I think the #2 ranked EUG Jonas Johansson is gone before this...not sure who else from the following targets are gone too but maybe we can choose from all these options:

i) VILLE HUSSO --the top ranked EUG by CSS is a big 6è3 goalie who has stellar numbers in Finland but has never played well in big international tournaments.. Not sure if he chokes in such pressure situations.. He was passed over in last yearès draft.

ii) Another Big goalie from Finland===over 6ft 2in 205 KASIMIR KASKISUO, played for Minnesota Timberwolves of the NAHL and will be a freahman at MINN -DULUTH this fall ..older at 20, he is 3rd time eligible but a late bloomer who posted a sparkling .944 save % and excellent GAA numbers this year for his team...rate #9 NAG up from #16 at mid-term so moved up 7 spots in the CSS rankings in the 2nd half..

iii) ELVIS MERZLIKINS --the big 6ft 3 187 Latvian goalie postyed excellent numbers in the SWIISS jr, and menès leagues this season and was very good at the Wprld Jrs for Latvia....also 20 and 3rd time eligible ---he competes hard and never gives up on a play and is very athletic ..

We may get another shot at one of these goalies still on the board at the #93 pick we have in the next round..

Round 4--pick #93 --- we either take a second goalie or another forward here.

Target F---1) JUSTIN KIRKLAND 6ft 3 190 LW Kelowna Rockets WHL --- CSS final rank #67 NAS power forward with some upside scoring improving potential

ii) SHANE EISERMAN C or LW Dubuque USHL ---6ft 2 201 ---relentless on the forecheck..strong physical power forward who bulls his way through teams ...but probably not going to be a big scorer...so a 4th liner role guy...good speed...#45 CSS NAS.

If either of these 2 still on the board we grab one of them ..if gone then maybe a remaining goalie from above..

OR

Target D--- KELLY SUMMERS Carleton Place CCHL --CSS #73 6ft2 192...a poised not flashy but steady dman who posted good offensive numbers too in Jr. A for hs team..

Rd 5 --we have 2 picks ...#141 and #148 ...if anyone I noted above is still on the board that we have not yet drafted --grab them here...otherwise I have only 2 more forward prospects targeted...

Target F- i) JULIEN NANTEL Cor LW Rouyan -Noranda QMJHL 6ft 0 192 ranked 51 NAS by CSS ...so do not think he falls this far ..but if so grab him at
#141... he is the baby of the draft with a Sep 6é1996 birthdate...
So;id skater and 2way forward ...good shot and quick release..a steal ll
he falls this far ...

ii) MAXIM LETUNOV C ---Youngstown USHL CSS #141 NAS 6ft 2.25 155
very skilled but needs to fill out as he can get overpowered at this
weight...

Rd 6 or 7 --- one more goalie to take...I like JEFF SMITH 6ft 2 205 Powell River BCHL going to U-MASS LOWEL as a freshman this fall ...GP 34 GAA 2.25 save % .923....good for developing longer term for 4 yrs in the NCAA...

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I have no idea why MacInnis is projected to go in the early 2nd round. He didn't stand out much when I saw him play and his stats are very underwhelming.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have no idea why MacInnis is projected to go in the early 2nd round. He didn't stand out much when I saw him play and his stats are very underwhelming.

6'3 175 lbs, plays all 3 forward positions - and has those bloodlines -I agree he was very hit or miss this year, but his first year overall in the OHL, trying to fill into that big ass frame takes some time to get used to.

I would definitely take him if I was the Hawks, and I have doubts he is even around by the time they pick. He has home run written all over him "IF" he pans out, but those bloodlines and his size helps ease the "IF" part IMO.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Bloodlines don't mean anything. His name is the only reason he's projected to go any higher than the mid-3rd round.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bloodlines don't mean anything. His name is the only reason he's projected to go any higher than the mid-3rd round.

Bloodlines mean a lot, both in the player and on the ice. Not saying this one might not be a dud but the son of a player has had better inroads to getting better, quicker.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
you say bloodlines don't mean anything, then say his name is the only reason why he is projected to go higher then a mid 3rd???? :laugh: :laugh:

Kinda missed the point a bit? Yeah.. I think so.

It's flawed thinking. Because his father was a good player doesn't mean he'll be, but it's garnered him unwarranted attention.

If his name was John Doe, he'd be projected as a 3rd round pick. That's where he should go based on what he's done and his potential.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think his point was 'bloodlines' don't on their own make someone a better player.

agreed, just the way I read what he put seemed like a massive contradiction :laugh:

bloodlines doesn't make a player, but when you put it all together, he is a player that a lot of teams are going to be looking at very closely as his upside is massive. from anybody who watched this kid since his days with the Blues, you could tell he was going to be a player. he is going to fill out and I say 6'4 210lbs by the time he is a NHLer is a realistic goal for him considering the size of his daddy (not a giant, but 6'2 200plus).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad