4. Calgary - Bennett
5. NYI - Dal Colle
6. Vancouver - Ehlers
7. Carolina - Ritchie
8. Toronto - Nylander

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Nylander has some top end skill, I can't see Toronto taking a risk on him. He's a smallish, high skill center with defensive holes. It's much more likely we go with a safer pick than a boom/bust guy with the 8th overall.

It's either his game translates to the NHL or it doesn't. I haven't seen enough dominance at this point to think he's in contention to be selected by us.

Look at the type of hockey Nonis/Shanahan/Carlyle preach

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
1. Florida - Ekblad
2. Buffalo - Reinhart
3. Edmonton - Draisaitl
4. Calgary - Bennett
5. NYI - Dal Colle
6. Vancouver - Ehlers
7. Carolina - Ritchie
8. Toronto - Nylander

I would be ok with any if those players and wouldn't be too upset with Fabbri so the 8th spot is looking pretty good

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Nylander has some top end skill, I can't see Toronto taking a risk on him. He's a smallish, high skill center with defensive holes. It's much more likely we go with a safer pick than a boom/bust guy with the 8th overall.

It's either his game translates to the NHL or it doesn't. I haven't seen enough dominance at this point to think he's in contention to be selected by us.

Look at the type of hockey Nonis/Shanahan/Carlyle preach

If the Leafs are open to a Nylander type of pick, I think they'd opt for Fabbri instead...just a hunch because I think they didn't have to go out of their way to see Fabbri, and I think he has the type of motor that makes you say forget about his size.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
1. Florida - Ekblad
2. Buffalo - Reinhart
3. Edmonton - Bennett
4. Calgary - Dal Colle
5. NYI - Nylander
6. Vancouver - Ehlers
7. Carolina - Fleury
8. Toronto - Draisaitl

God I hope it plays out like this.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think I'd like to focus on best player available at 8. Whoever that is, I'm not really all that concerned as long as it's the BPA.

I'd like to target a big goalie with one of our picks between 3-5. A guy who is going to the NCAA would be ideal. I'd love Demko but not having a 2nd kind of limits our chances at getting him.

Then I'd like to take the other three picks between 3 and 5, and grab two centers and a dman. It never hurts to add center depth, and like someone said, they can be transition to the wing more easily than wingers can to center.

Then let the 6th and 7th go under Bergman and pick whoever he wants.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think I'd like to focus on best player available at 8. Whoever that is, I'm not really all that concerned as long as it's the BPA.

I'd like to target a big goalie with one of our picks between 3-5. A guy who is going to the NCAA would be ideal. I'd love Demko but not having a 2nd kind of limits our chances at getting him.

Then I'd like to take the other three picks between 3 and 5, and grab two centers and a dman. It never hurts to add center depth, and like someone said, they can be transition to the wing more easily than wingers can to center.

I don't mind this plan.. Another goalie that is more of a long term work in progress would be a good way to bolster goaltenders in the system .. Sparks and Bibeau are showing some promise at least, to a lesser extent Gibson .. But another tender would be a good addition

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I don't mind this plan.. Another goalie that is more of a long term work in progress would be a good way to bolster goaltenders in the system .. Sparks and Bibeau are showing some promise at least, to a lesser extent Gibson .. But another tender would be a good addition

Yeah exactly. I'd love to be able to find a Gillies type goalie basically.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
1. Florida - Ekblad
2. Buffalo - Reinhart
3. Edmonton - Bennett
4. Calgary - Dal Colle
5. NYI - Nylander
6. Vancouver - Ehlers
7. Carolina - Fleury
8. Toronto - Draisaitl

God I hope it plays out like this.

i cant see the islanders taking a center considering they have tavares, nielson, nelson, strom, cisikas, lee down the middle. i could see them liking ehlers at 5 although they would be wise to trade down and get another asset.

assuming islanders take a winger then im not sure i see vancouver taking nylander over draisaitl.

i think carolina will have interest in fluery but i can see them being interested in ritchie as well. they have a lot of small guys there, they could use a big guy.

i think draisaitl to toronto is a pipe dream barring us moving us moving up with the islanders. but i agree, i want him badly :cry:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Top 10 mock

small.png
- Sam Bennett - C/LW - Kingston(OHL)
small.png
- Aaron Ekblad - D - Barrie(OHL)
small.png
- Michael Dal Colle - LW - Oshawa(OHL)
small.png
- Nick Ritchie - LW - Peterborough(OHL)
small.png
- Sam Reinhart - C/RW - Kootaney(WHL)
small.png
- William Nylander - RW - MODO(SHL)
small.png
- Kasperi Kapanen - RW - KalPa(SM-liiga)
small.png
- Nikolai Goldobin - RW - Sarnia(OHL)
small.png
- Brendan Perlini - LW - Niagara(OHL)
small.png
- Alex Tuch - RW - US-NTDP

C'mon let's hear it. :D

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png

Draisaitl falls out of the top ten :amazed:

Not a bad mock otherwise. If Draisaitl was to fall to the Leafs at eight, just for them to pass on him, I think a few people would be perturbed.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Toronto moves up in the draft.

Making the whole point mute. I live in Edmonton, both the fans and the owner are sick of shiny new toys, they want playoffs and now! We have Phaneuff and Kadri, Kulemin,Orr,Bolland, you fill in the blanks.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Ville Husso -- top ranked European 'tender, 6'2, 6th highest SV% in Liiga with a .923% through 41 games. If he lasts to the 3rd (doubtful, but better chance than Demko) I'm down.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
i cant see the islanders taking a center considering they have tavares, nielson, nelson, strom, cisikas, lee down the middle. i could see them liking ehlers at 5 although they would be wise to trade down and get another asset.

assuming islanders take a winger then im not sure i see vancouver taking nylander over draisaitl.

i think carolina will have interest in fluery but i can see them being interested in ritchie as well. they have a lot of small guys there, they could use a big guy.

i think draisaitl to toronto is a pipe dream barring us moving us moving up with the islanders. but i agree, i want him badly :cry:

I see Nylander shifting to the wing in the NHL. Just too soft and smallish to be a really effective centre in NA. Skill wise he's likely BPA at the 5th spot. Nylander on Tavares' wing is a scary thought.

Ace88*

Ville Husso -- top ranked European 'tender, 6'2, 6th highest SV% in Liiga with a .923% through 41 games. If he lasts to the 3rd (doubtful, but better chance than Demko) I'm down.

Yeah Husso's climbed my rankings too, i had Nedeljkovic over him for most of the season but the kid really turned it on. I think it's actually a toss up between Demko and Husso for best goalie in the draft, i could see both of them taken by the 40th pick

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png

Well certainly seems like an interesting mock if you want to stand out from the pack :).

Certainly some interesting choices that could play out. Would be strange to have Draisaitl fall, though anything can happen. Lucky break for the Islanders, though seems like that one happened just for a fun Reinhart connection. And of course the troll selection for the Leafs :laugh:.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
People were upset not taking MSP as well.

And about not taking Jenner. You can't really prove anything about the draft with anecdotes.

Yeah Husso's climbed my rankings too, i had Nedeljkovic over him for most of the season but the kid really turned it on. I think it's actually a toss up between Demko and Husso for best goalie in the draft, i could see both of them taken by the 40th pick

Yeah, there's always a run on goalies once you hit the mid 2nd, unfortunately :(

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
And about not taking Jenner. You can't really prove anything about the draft with anecdotes.

I'm talking about MSP very specifically because there wasn't wide spread clamoring to draft Jenner(Maybe a few here and there). MSP was #2 on most people's lists after Schenn @ #7; And we thought he was going before and that was proved to be right, Then leaving MSP as the thought to be obvious choice at 7.

The point I was trying to make is, The most hyped guy isn't always the best. And if they do get to your pick, Why did they get there?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm talking about MSP very specifically because there wasn't wide spread clamoring to draft Jenner(Maybe a few here and there). MSP was #2 on most people's lists after Schenn @ #7; And we thought he was going before and that was proved to be right, Then leaving MSP as the thought to be obvious choice at 7.

The point I was trying to make is, The most hyped guy isn't always the best. And if they do get to your pick, Why did they get there?

It doesn't always work that way though. Hype doesn't necessarily have to overhyped, and a player being available at 8 and not taken by then doesn't need to be an indication of his lack of star skill.

What if it's a Nichushkin? Or a Fowler instead of MSP?

Sometimes a faller is a faller because of nothing to do with him.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Well certainly seems like an interesting mock if you want to stand out from the pack :).

Certainly some interesting choices that could play out. Would be strange to have Draisaitl fall, though anything can happen. Lucky break for the Islanders, though seems like that one happened just for a fun Reinhart connection. And of course the troll selection for the Leafs :laugh:.

I wanted to make it a bit interesting; It's kind of boring seeing the same sequence of players, But I also wanted to make it (semi)realistic.

The reasoning for Reinhart @ 5th is I think Edmonton may want more size in their top 6(Draisaitl was too obvious) and I'll actually need to see Brian Burke on the draft stage pick some one other than Ritchie to believe it at this point. He just screams everything he wants and loves in a player.

So I probably would've had him at 5th even if Vancouver had the pick, BPA at that point.

Goldobin is forgotten man of this draft, Who was absolutely spectacular at the prospects game; But his team in Sarnia is complete crap and didn't make the playoffs. So I don't see it as troll pick; Personally I don't see much(if anything) between him and Ehlers who gets a lot more fan fare.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

The point I was trying to make is, The most hyped guy isn't always the best.

I don't remember MSP being the unanimous #7 choice, but that might be my memory playing tricks on me.

Your point isn't lost on me, I remember the uproar with Rielly over Forsberg, Grigorenko, et al. Which is why I try to keep an open mind with the draft in general, and why I've expressed many times that I'd be fine with a relatively wide range of players at the 8th pick. However, I'd be upset if we passed on Draisaitl at #8 because I'm personally a big fan of his, not because he's the "most hyped."

And if they do get to your pick, Why did they get there?

Always a good question to ask. How many Terevainens and Saads are there for every Grigorenko, though?

Ace88*

Goldobin at 8 is Pejorative Slured. He's incredibly skilled sure, but the Leafs are 100% likely to take a player with a more well-rounded game. Goldobin is an offensive threat sure, but so is Barbashev, who is also a centre, who also plays a north american game, who also displays leadership, who is also actually rated somewhere in the top 15. I'd walk to MLSE head office and crucify nonis if he took goldobin over barbashev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad