2014 NHL Draft: 7 Picks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
2014 NHL Draft

Leafs Picks:
Leafs Select 8th Overall, 68th., 94th., 103rd., 128th., 158th, 188th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NHL_Entry_Draft

Link to previous:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1656017
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1649501

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=449467

For the other Canadian teams, Button has the
Calgary Flames taking Sam Bennett at number four,
the Vancouver Canucks drafting Jake Virtanen at six,
the Toronto Maple Leafs selecting Nick Ritchie at eight and finally
the Winnipeg Jets taking Brendan Perlini at nine.

McKenzie's
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=117185

Interesting that they only show 22 game stats for Nylander.

Here are the rest.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38703

Future Considerations ... http://futureconsiderations.ca/

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Here's a fairly recent article from your favourite scout. Woodlief.

RISING

Robby Fabbri: Has been white-hot since late January, and most nights looks like the leader of a talented, veteran-laden group that is the CHL's No. 1 team.

Justin Kirkland: A great physical presence who plays with loads of passion, and his offensive game is rounding into form as well.

Luke Philp: Got first-line minutes when Sam Reinhart left for the world juniors, and his confidence with the puck has been skyrocketing ever since.

Sam Bennett: Well, he's all the way up to #2 on our list now, so it'll be hard for him to make the rising section again. Mr. Everything for Kingston.

Alex Schoenborn: Brings size, toughness, is a good fighter, and is close to 20 goals, all with mostly fourth-line ice time.

NO. PLAYER POS. HT, WT. SHOOTS DATE OF BIRTH TEAM
1 Aaron Ekblad D 6-4, 217 Right Feb. 7, 1996 Barrie
2 Sam Bennett C 6-0, 178 Left June 20, 1996 Kingston
3 Sam Reinhart C 6-1, 182 Right Nov. 6, 1995 Kootenay
4 Leon Draisaitl C 6-1, 209 Left Oct. 27, 1995 Prince Albert
5 Michael dal Colle LW 6-2, 171 Left June 20, 1996 Oshawa
6 Jake Virtanen LW 6-1, 203 Right Aug. 17, 1996 Calgary
7 Robby Fabbri C 5-10, 165 Right Jan. 22, 1996 Guelph
8 Haydn Fleury D 6-3, 204 Left July 8, 1996 Red Deer
9 Nick Ritchie LW 6-3, 232 Left Dec. 5, 1995 Peterborough
10 William Nylander LW 5-10, 170 Right May 1, 1996 MoDo

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-draft-preview-red-line-report-march/6617411/

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I have flip-flopped back and forth on this pick so many time. At this point I'm just repeating myself.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
The Good News is...

...there are a lot of good players available @ #8...Despite several others being good players I am sticking with (so far anyway): Ehlers,(reminds me of Duchene)...Virtanen, (reminds me of Carter and E. Kane) and Nylander (doesn't remind me of anyone yet but obviously skilled)...I just went and watched a bunch of Ritchie's clips and I don't see the speed, quickness and overall skill everyone is raving about. I do see a good player with size and that might be enough, but I honestly don't see him as a #8 overall... I know others have seen him live so I would defer to that and if he is picked I do hope I am wrong in my "perception"...

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
At this point I think Nylander's my guy. I can't see myself being upset with anyone though, as long as we don't go crazy off the board.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
At this point I think Nylander's my guy. I can't see myself being upset with anyone though, as long as we don't go crazy off the board.

Pretty much how I feel. Nylander, then Ritchie/Virtanen, then Ehlers. We are guarenteed one of these 4, or Dal Colle/Draisatl have fallen to us.

As long as we don't pick Perlini/Fleury, or someone off the board, I'll be happy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think the Leafs have to go for a homerun. Nylander might be that.

Could also be a strike out, but do we expect another top 10 pick in the next decade? I don't, so this might be last at bat for that homerun.

Yes, you can get good players in any draft in any round ...

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Toronto better pick Fabbri.

Mississauga native, high end offensive center is killin' it in the playoffs.
You guys talkin about wingers are crazy. Fabbri, Nylander, or bust.

Actually I hope you pick your Jake Virtanen or whoever instead. Then my Jets can get the game breaking center we've been needing forever too!

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I have flip-flopped back and forth on this pick so many time. At this point I'm just repeating myself.

Since we've known our draft position, I don't think I've flip flopped much, if at all. I'm stuck on Ehlers, I think he should be in the top 6. He's definitely my #1 choice. If he's gone, I'm happy with Virtanen, Ritchie, Nylander, or Fleury...of course that's assuming nobody drops out of the expected top 5.

I don't have anything else to say either, I'm just repeating myself at this point as well.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Actually I hope you pick your Jake Virtanen or whoever instead. Then my Jets can get the game breaking center we've been needing forever too!

My sources tell me you guys are taking Perlini.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My sources tell me you guys are taking Perlini.

For all my flip flopping between Fleury,McCann,Virtanen, Ritchie and Ehlers, Perlini is the player I don't want. I'm not sure why? Something bothers me here.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

You just got to pick from who is there. Neither the Leafs would have Rielly or the Jets Trouba if they said "hey, let's just go for a forward even though we have these guys ranked higher."

Right now the only center probable for 8 in terms of availability and skillset is Nylander. No issue drafting that guy if he's still on the board at that point. Some good options if we move back a little, but right now it appears to be the winger zone. Might as well pick up the best guy there and keep on building.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
You just got to pick from who is there. Neither the Leafs would have Rielly or the Jets Trouba if they said "hey, let's just go for a forward even though we have these guys ranked higher."

Right now the only center probable for 8 in terms of availability and skillset is Nylander. No issue drafting that guy if he's still on the board at that point. Some good options if we move back a little, but right now it appears to be the winger zone. Might as well pick up the best guy there and keep on building.

That's why I wouldn't dismiss Fleury, he could be this year's Trouba.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Pretty much how I feel. Nylander, then Ritchie/Virtanen, then Ehlers. We are guarenteed one of these 4, or Dal Colle/Draisatl have fallen to us.

As long as we don't pick Perlini/Fleury, or someone off the board, I'll be happy.

I wouldn't be overjoyed by Fleury, but I could live with him. He's got top-pairing upside, great size, great skater, moves the puck well enough. Puck skills themselves are weaker, though. Perlini puts me off because of how polar his season was, but man, when he was on, he was a treat to watch. The JvR comparison is a good one, I feel. His release is better than Ritchie's and on par with Virtanen's, and his offensive awareness is top notch. Definitely the last guy of the tier I'd want at 8, but whatever. I'd deal.

Could also be a strike out, but do we expect another top 10 pick in the next decade? I don't, so this might be last at bat for that homerun.

I think he edges Ehlers by a hair in terms of overall offensive talent that may be available at our pick. Dynamic performance at the U18s.

K.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Here's a fairly recent article from your favourite scout. Woodlief.

NO. PLAYER POS. HT, WT. SHOOTS DATE OF BIRTH TEAM
1 Aaron Ekblad D 6-4, 217 Right Feb. 7, 1996 Barrie
2 Sam Bennett C 6-0, 178 Left June 20, 1996 Kingston
3 Sam Reinhart C 6-1, 182 Right Nov. 6, 1995 Kootenay
4 Leon Draisaitl C 6-1, 209 Left Oct. 27, 1995 Prince Albert
5 Michael dal Colle LW 6-2, 171 Left June 20, 1996 Oshawa
6 Jake Virtanen LW 6-1, 203 Right Aug. 17, 1996 Calgary
7 Robby Fabbri C 5-10, 165 Right Jan. 22, 1996 Guelph
8 Haydn Fleury D 6-3, 204 Left July 8, 1996 Red Deer
9 Nick Ritchie LW 6-3, 232 Left Dec. 5, 1995 Peterborough
10 William Nylander LW 5-10, 170 Right May 1, 1996 MoDo

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-draft-preview-red-line-report-march/6617411/

So you take the best player available right, and that would be Hayden Fleury. Draft to the strength of the draft don't reach for a need.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
So you take the best player available right, and that would be Hayden Fleury. Draft to the strength of the draft don't reach for a need.

Shouldn't be hard because we have needs everywhere :(

With regards to needs a strong case could be made for any prospect in our range...BPA all the way.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
you take BPA.

Tampa took drouin over Monahan last year was that a bad move just because hes a winger and not a center? lmao.....

Ehlers and run, guy put up 100+ pts and a +65 this year, he has speed and a lot of skill. He could also be shifted to center next year just like Drouin was this year.

God, BPA lateral trades are easier to make. example player X is better than player Y but Y plays center. Player X has better potential and a better chance of reaching that potential, why would u take player Y? Player X has 85% chance of reaching 50+ pt player while player Y has 75% chance of reaching potential. Why take player Y when you could take player X and then make a lateral trade for a player like Y after the fact with having more potential and more likelyhood of him reaching that potential?

I realize center is a bigger position and leafs should have just tanked to they could have gotten one of Dertaisl, Reinhart or Bennet but they are too good to get a good prospect and to bad to make the playoffs. Using ur guys logic Dal Colle should be passed up for Fabbri because hes a winger, lmao u guys are so funny (Intercantif stop ur nonesense please)

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

did we expect a top 10 pick in this years draft?

Did we expect a top 5 pick 2 years ago?

one thing u can count on: leafs will never do anything that will help them in the longterm, and will always collapse under pressure.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

He's the guy I've watched the most and I think he'll be a great pick around pick #15... but I think there is a lot of guys more talented than him. Fabbri has a great work-ethic as well as good offensive tools, but his hockey IQ and size are question marks to me. He's obviously a fantastic player, but I don't think he stacks up well against Ehlers/Nylander/Virtanen/Ritchie/etc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

You always take the best player available, this is what I like about Morrison. He always says this. If it is a D man you take him this year.

If the prospects are of equal value then you draft to positonal need. We need help everywhere, but Center is by far our most glaring need.

There is one consistency with good NHL teams, you can only draft core Centers. They are not available in trades. So this is a factor when deciding which player to draft.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

Do you guys expect him to play C in the NHL at 5'10" 166lbs? I see Interactif comparing him to Skinner who is a winger now mostly due to size. It's not always a given that players grow in height after 18. It's actually fairly rare. I'm sure he'll play at more then his current weight, but I wouldn't think he'll be more then 185lbs.

For a small Center, I'm happy with Kadri and his agitating ways. I think we need some real size and grit in our top 6. Leivo is the only top 6 prospect with any size and he isn't really big, nor is he that aggressive. This is why I've been focused on the big wingers in the draft.

Either way, if we're gonna aim for a top 6 C, I'd want one that does more then what Kadri and Bozak does. Unless Nonis is moving Kadri.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van

Perlini or Fleury wouldn't be off the board. But I do agree they interest me a lot less than Ehler, Virtanen, Ritchie or Nylander.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van

I'd be happy to trade down 4 spots or so and take a kid like Fabbri, if they can pick up a 2nd rounder along the way. Fabbri is a reach at 8th overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad