2014 Mock Draft By Team Board Vote

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
I voted Dal Colle, but if you asked me next week it could be Leon. Pretty much a toss up between those two for me.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Since I'm not a Flames fan I didn't vote, but I wouldn't be surprised if Burke passed on Draisaitl. I wouldn't be surprised if he was more into Ritchie's skill set.

TheClassicK*

Any management would be idiots to take LD over Reinhart. Hopefully Buffalo are idiots ;)

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I would be so happy if Buffalo did that.

600_341729872.jpeg

TheClassicK*

To be honest though, I'm quite disappointed in the large number of people here who voted for LD. Although he's listed 30 lbs heavier than MDC at the moment, he's an inch shorter. MDC's got some filling to do and it'll surely happen.

Not to mention MDC is 8 months younger than LD. Much better footspeed, which is exactly what we need, and a really good shot, which is exactly what we need again. You don't have to be +200 lbs to play in the NHL, you just have to be fast and strong enough to withstand shoves. So MDC by a mile. You will all see why.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think the fact that he played LW this year instead of center is whats hurting his votes. We need a top six center or a top pairing d-man without a doubt with our top pick this year.

TheClassicK*

I think the fact that he played LW this year instead of center is whats hurting his votes. We need a top six center or a top pairing d-man without a doubt with our top pick this year.

Why do you think we need a top 6 center though? Backlund is our #1 center without doubt, and it'll be Monahan as #2. Then we've got Stajan centering the 3rd line for the next 4 years. On the 4th line we'll have many who could fill - Bouma is a lock (if he's playing with Westgarth and McG), and the likes of Granlund, Knight, Arnold are going to fill in whenever someone gets injured.

We can't trade any of our top 3 centers to make room for LD. Backlund is our best two-way & offensive centerman and the best is still ahead of him. Monahan is "untouchable", and I doubt anyone would trade for Stajan's $3.1M/year contract.

In the winger spots though, we've been putting left-wingers at right wing and interchanging because of the lack of right-shooters. I know there are lots left-wingers on our roster, they'll be moved to right-wing if needs be. It certainly can and will be done to someone like Dal Colle, Glencross, Hudler, Gaudreau, and etc.

Also: We'd be picking the BPA by picking MDC.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Why do you think we need a top 6 center though? Backlund is our #1 center without doubt, and it'll be Monahan as #2. Then we've got Stajan centering the 3rd line for the next 4 years. On the 4th line we'll have many who could fill - Bouma is a lock (if he's playing with Westgarth and McG), and the likes of Granlund, Knight, Arnold are going to fill in whenever someone gets injured.

We can't trade any of our top 3 centers to make room for LD. Backlund is our best two-way & offensive centerman and the best is still ahead of him. Monahan is "untouchable", and I doubt anyone would trade for Stajan's $3.1M/year contract.

In the winger spots though, we've been putting left-wingers at right wing and interchanging because of the lack of right-shooters. I know there are lots left-wingers on our roster, they'll be moved to right-wing if needs be. It certainly can and will be done to someone like Dal Colle, Glencross, Hudler, Gaudreau, and etc.

Also: We'd be picking the BPA by picking MDC.

Disagree. Weight and height don't make MDC the better prospect.

Draisaitl's puck protection game is something special. It's reminiscent of the way Malkin plays with the puck. His vision is something else too.

We shouldn't be picking any player based on his position. If we have too many centers, we'll just shift a center to the wing. That could easily be Draisaitl.

I think Dal Colle and Draisaitl are close but I don't think Dal Colle is the better prospect.

TheClassicK*

Disagree. Weight and height don't make MDC the better prospect.

Draisaitl's puck protection game is something special. It's reminiscent of the way Malkin plays with the puck. His vision is something else too.

We shouldn't be picking any player based on his position. If we have too many centers, we'll just shift a center to the wing. That could easily be Draisaitl.

I think Dal Colle and Draisaitl are close but I don't think Dal Colle is the better prospect.

I guess I have to disagree with you too. MDC is the better option at 4th overall because he offers what we don't have at the moment.

You're saying we shouldn't be picking players based on his position, yet the ones voting for LD are picking him because he would add size to the center position. Our centers might not all be +200 lbs and over 6'2'', but I think one big two-way center in Monahan is enough. That's not the model every playoff team follows anyway.

I wouldn't compare Draisaitl to Malkin simply because he's not overly fast and he doesn't have the flair of Malkin. I see him more like a Hanzal when he used to play in the WHL, using the body and the big reach, and making plays. I wouldn't be surprised if Draisaitl turns out to be another Hanzal though.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I like Backlund as much as the next guy, but I see him more as a good defensive two way center as opposed to a true offensive number one center. Ideally I would like to see another center who with Monahan who could be a 1a/1b guy. This would create center depth of ??? - Monahan - Backlund - Knight/Reinhart which would be awesome.

For the record as I've previously stated I would rather draft MDC as well, as I think he is the better player, but I am hoping he will be a center and not a left winger once he reaches the NHL.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Buffalo rumoured to be high on Draisaitl , there is a slight chance that Reinhart is available

With the Islanders pick maybe?

But, if true, this is all gravy because that's two teams ahead of us now reportedly love Leon, and Burkie apparently doesn't.

FLA: Ekblad
BUF: Draisaitl
EDM: Bennett (compete level would be second or on par with Hall on that team)
CGY: SAM MUTHAFKIN REINHART + THERESA REINHART

I'm okay with that scenario too

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I guess I have to disagree with you too. MDC is the better option at 4th overall because he offers what we don't have at the moment.

You're saying we shouldn't be picking players based on his position, yet the ones voting for LD are picking him because he would add size to the center position. Our centers might not all be +200 lbs and over 6'2'', but I think one big two-way center in Monahan is enough. That's not the model every playoff team follows anyway.

I wouldn't compare Draisaitl to Malkin simply because he's not overly fast and he doesn't have the flair of Malkin. I see him more like a Hanzal when he used to play in the WHL, using the body and the big reach, and making plays. I wouldn't be surprised if Draisaitl turns out to be another Hanzal though.

Hanzal to Draisaitl isn't really a good comparison at all. I'd be very surprised if Draisaitl turns into another Hanzal. They literally don't play alike.

I compared Draisaitl's puck protection to Malkin, not his overall style. His puck protection is actually very reminiscent of the way Malkin protects pucks.

Draisaitl's offense is also levels above Hanzal's, when Hanzal was a draft eligible prospect and even later. Draisaitl has high end offensive skill Hanzal has never had.

And most CHL centers get moved to the wing anyways. You don't a worse player simply because he's a winger and the other guy is a big center and we already have one of those. You take the better player and if you need, you can move him to the wing.

IMO, Draisaitl is the better prospect. Scouts may see it different and pick Dal Colle over Draisaitl, in whcih case I wouldn't be angry, but I think Draisaitl is teh better prospect.

I know stats aren't the be all end all way to judge a player, but since it's a way to give context, Dal Colle has been outscored by Draisaitl in both their two CHL seasons. And Dal Colle has always had better teammates to work with compared to Draisaitl.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To be honest though, I'm quite disappointed in the large number of people here who voted for LD. Although he's listed 30 lbs heavier than MDC at the moment, he's an inch shorter. MDC's got some filling to do and it'll surely happen.

Not to mention MDC is 8 months younger than LD. Much better footspeed, which is exactly what we need, and a really good shot, which is exactly what we need again. You don't have to be +200 lbs to play in the NHL, you just have to be fast and strong enough to withstand shoves. So MDC by a mile. You will all see why.

You're disappointed in a fan base for selecting the player that is more highly rated; ranking wise on almost every single prospect ranking report... Interesting.

You must watch a ton of Generals games to know something scouts don't. I have no ill-will towards MDC, I think he has the tools to be a real gooder in the league; but I'm also aware of what Leon brings to the league as well.

Having Monahan and Draisaitl as a 1-2 going forward would make Calgary very secure down the middle. Throw in Backs as a perfect 3rd line Center; you have yourself a very promising team there.

As for your other comments. We're weak in top 6 center depth. Backlund is not a top 6 center for most teams in the league; he's an absolutely perfect 3rd line center, however. Stajan isn't in the long-term plans of Calgary honestly, that's why he's trade-able in his later years, but will act as a stop-gap for now.

As for the Martin Hanzal comparison; that's interesting right there. A 19/20 year old vs a 17/18 year old. Leon put up 20 more points two years younger than Hanzal.

I mean, you can manipulate pieces all you want to fit what you're arguing, watch:
BPA: Leon is the BPA according to almost every single scouting report.
NHL Readiness: Leon is much more NHL ready than Dal Colle, and his game will translate to the NHL significantly better than MDC.
Position: Leon is an experienced center; who plays a 200 ft game. Calgary needs young centers with top 6 potential. Calgary is far too rich in LW'ers with upside.
Physique: He has a larger frame that is filled out, but could even fill-out more depending on growth. You can't teach big. There will not be the awkward Jankowski years of 'trying to fit into his body'.

Tada.

TheClassicK*

Hanzal to Draisaitl isn't really a good comparison at all. I'd be very surprised if Draisaitl turns into another Hanzal. They literally don't play alike.

I compared Draisaitl's puck protection to Malkin, not his overall style. His puck protection is actually very reminiscent of the way Malkin protects pucks.

Draisaitl's offense is also levels above Hanzal's, when Hanzal was a draft eligible prospect and even later. Draisaitl has high end offensive skill Hanzal has never had.

And most CHL centers get moved to the wing anyways. You don't a worse player simply because he's a winger and the other guy is a big center and we already have one of those. You take the better player and if you need, you can move him to the wing.

IMO, Draisaitl is the better prospect. Scouts may see it different and pick Dal Colle over Draisaitl, in whcih case I wouldn't be angry, but I think Draisaitl is teh better prospect.

I know stats aren't the be all end all way to judge a player, but since it's a way to give context, Dal Colle has been outscored by Draisaitl in both their two CHL seasons. And Dal Colle has always had better teammates to work with compared to Draisaitl.
I mean, even if I think of Draisaitl playing on the wings, I'm not too keen. Scouts have described him as "not overly physical or fast", the latter of which is a worry for me. I've stressed repeatedly here, there is a serious lack of forwards who can take on defenders with elite speed - Backlund and Byron are two for sure, and maybe Glencross on a good day - but who else? I'm thinking Dal Colle has a very good chance to become one of them, because scouts agree that he's a powerful, agile skater.

Speed is arguably one of the most important requirement in a young player's success nowadays, if not the most. You look at the past three Calder winners who were forwards - Huberdeau, Landeskog, and Skinner - one common trait is that they're all excellent skaters. Yeah, they're skilled too (and we'll see about MDC and LD). But heck, you even look at this year's rookie class who had the most success - MacKinnon has elite speed, Palat is small but he sure can fly past defenders, same with Tyler Johnson, and the likes of Scheifele, Kreider, and Nichuskin are all excellent skaters. Those are the 6 out of 9 forwards who finished top 10 in rookie points this season (others being Bjugstad, Monahan, and Chiasson).

Go back to 12/13: The top 6 rookies in points were Yakupov, Huberdeau, Gallagher, Saad, and Galchenyuk. One evident, overlying theme is that they're great skaters. There are many more after that Top 6, but I just cut the "Top x" off when there was a big points gap. And back to 11/12: RNH, Landeskog, Henrique, Read, Hagelin, Smith, and Couturier (Top 7 out of 9 forwards in the most points) - All are great skaters. Speed kills, and you can't deny that.

TheClassicK*

You're disappointed in a fan base for selecting the player that is more highly rated; ranking wise on almost every single prospect ranking report... Interesting.

You must watch a ton of Generals games to know something scouts don't. I have no ill-will towards MDC, I think he has the tools to be a real gooder in the league; but I'm also aware of what Leon brings to the league as well.
You can't be more incorrect here. The ISS, probably the most reliable and respected scouting services (there's a reason they sell yearly draft guides for $100), ranked MDC higher than LD through every month from Sept 2013 to Apr 2014. In some months, the difference was absolutely ridiculous. MDC remained in the #3 spot (the ranking includes European skaters) from September until January or something when Bennett took his spot and MDC was placed #4. In the Apr 2014 rankings though, MDC regained the #3 spot. LD on the other hand, worked his way up from 14th->10th->7th->6th where he remains. So yeah, you can't be more wrong.

Having Monahan and Draisaitl as a 1-2 going forward would make Calgary very secure down the middle. Throw in Backs as a perfect 3rd line Center; you have yourself a very promising team there.

As for your other comments. We're weak in top 6 center depth. Backlund is not a top 6 center for most teams in the league; he's an absolutely perfect 3rd line center, however. Stajan isn't in the long-term plans of Calgary honestly, that's why he's trade-able in his later years, but will act as a stop-gap for now.
Here's where your credibility is really lost. You really haven't watched him this season, have you? He proved he's our best center this season, and it'll stay that way until we get someone better than him. His defensive abilities make him a lock for our #2 center spot, and his offensive abilities (speed, passing, puck-handling) is a level above Monahan which makes him our #1 center. I don't see why Backs is SO underrated here. On another team with wingers that can skate to his speed and finish his plays, he would have had his breakout year much before. He'd pretty well develop into a top 6 center on several other teams.

I've watched more than 70 Flames games this season, mainly because I'm in university and all I've got is time and fibre-op internet. But I can confidently say that other than that stretch of games in the beginning of the season where Backs struggled, he's been our most consistent forward this season. He was the most well-rounded, skilled forward this season without a doubt.

As for Stajan, do you really think a team will trade for an average center with very average abilities, who's well into his 30's, and who is locked at $3.1M/year for the next 4 seasons? I don't see him being traded until his last season.

I could also argue the rest of your points, but I'm too tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Stajan keeps his level of play where it was this year, we would have no problem dealing him at that money. His contract is definitely market value IMO.

The Kopitar comparison for Draisiatl is one I really like to.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Guys I'll state this once, stay on topic regarding the thread or else action will be taken. Debating is fine, but debate the topics, personal insults have no place on our forums

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The thought of Calgary ending up with Monahan/Draisaitl or Monahan/Bennett is scary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad