2014 Memorial Cup Location

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Kingston...after that London. The OHL can't slap the heaviest sanctions on Windsor and then turn around and powder their butts by handing them the most lucrative CHL event 6 months later. Can't happen..if it does the league is a bigger joke then ever. Windsor was the odds on favourite before last summer's events...not now.
If I recall Branch stated that the sanctions will have no affect on hosting the Memorial Cup. If Windsor was the favourite before the sanctions, like you stated then they should be next to host the Memorial Cup as long as they can ice a competitive team.

If I recall Branch stated that the sanctions will have no affect on hosting the Memorial Cup. If Windsor was the favourite before the sanctions, like you stated then they should be next to host the Memorial Cup as long as they can ice a competitive team.
Why not make the league more of a joke than it already is? I don't think even Dave Branch is ready for that kind of exposure in the media.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I'll be pretty surprised if Windsor doesn't get the hosting gig for 2014 (if we make the play-offs this year).

Honestly don't let that thought clouded your judgement into thinking that Branch screwed Windsor again when the Memorial Cup gets awarded elsewhere.
Basically every fanbase and team can say that about feeling screwed by Branch.
If I had to bet any money on the host team it would be either Barrie or Kingston.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Why not make the league more of a joke than it already is? I don't think even Dave Branch is ready for that kind of exposure in the media.

So why didn't he make that part of the punishment? That Windsor cannot host a Memorial Cup or any other specialty games (U17's, Prospect/All Star/Russia Series) for x number of years?

Did he fear opening himself up to a lawsuit from the City of Windsor?

So why didn't he make that part of the punishment? That Windsor cannot host a Memorial Cup or any other specialty games (U17's, Prospect/All Star/Russia Series) for x number of years?

Who knows...my comment is based on the league and the media attention such an announcement would be. Can you imagine..."want the Memorial Cup?..just pay players to come and you'll get it next time you bid". I just don't think the OHL is ready for that type of negative attention...and it would be negative. Not a slight against Windsor's ability to host the Memorial Cup..just based on fact.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Who knows...my comment is based on the league and the media attention such an announcement would be. Can you imagine..."want the Memorial Cup?..just pay players to come and you'll get it next time you bid". I just don't think the OHL is ready for that type of negative attention...and it would be negative. Not a slight against Windsor's ability to host the Memorial Cup..just based on fact.

It's only negative attention if the media wants it to be. This is actually one of the times Branch can prove it was anyone's game and still is. I'm not saying Windsor should or should not host it, but if they have the best presentation and ice a competitive team, the sanctions should play zero part in what happens.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

You act like Windsor was the only guilty team just because they were sloppy enough to get caught.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

What kind of lawsuit could the City bring? Hosting the Memorial Cup and/or other high profile events is not a right - not by any team or community, despite the entitlement issues some Windsor fans seem to have.

What kind of lawsuit could the City bring? Hosting the Memorial Cup and/or other high profile events is not a right - not by any team or community, despite the entitlement issues some Windsor fans seem to have.
Exactly CG. I'm not saying Windsor won't ice a competative team..or wouldn't be a great host..I'm merely stating you don't reward wrong doing without it being looked at negatively. To use a parenting analogy...it would be like catching your kid stealing cookies from the cookie jar when you said no...and then giving them milk and cookies as punishment.:laugh:

It's only negative attention if the media wants it to be. This is actually one of the times Branch can prove it was anyone's game and still is. I'm not saying Windsor should or should not host it, but if they have the best presentation and ice a competitive team, the sanctions should play zero part in what happens.
SN..
If Windsor is awarded the 2014 Memorial Cup hosting rights...nobody can look at me straight faced and say the media wouldn't put a negative spin on it. That's not how journalism works.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Exactly CG. I'm not saying Windsor won't ice a competative team..or wouldn't be a great host..I'm merely stating you don't reward wrong doing without it being looked at negatively. To use a parenting analogy...it would be like catching your kid stealing cookies from the cookie jar when you said no...and then giving them milk and cookies as punishment.:laugh: If Windsor is awarded the 2014 Memorial Cup hosting rights...nobody can look at me straight faced and say the media wouldn't put a negative spin on it. That's not how journalism works.

I agree that the media would have a field day with it, but I do see OHLTG's viewpoint -- Windsor has been punished and it's done. The host selection committee should base their decision on the general criteria - ability to ice a competitive team, the venue, the accommodations, the financial guarantees - some of which will definitely be affected by the punishment handed down.

However, the league has to know that the sanctions will be part of every media story and they may want to let some time pass before naming Windsor a host.

I agree that the media would have a field day with it, but I do see OHLTG's viewpoint -- Windsor has been punished and it's done. The host selection committee should base their decision on the general criteria - ability to ice a competitive team, the venue, the accommodations, the financial guarantees - some of which will definitely be affected by the punishment handed down.

However, the league has to know that the sanctions will be part of every media story and they may want to let some time pass before naming Windsor a host.
Oh I see SN's point too..and every other Windsor fan for that matter...but I'm looking at the whole scenario..and I don't think the OHL is ready for that type of negative media coverage. Best to just let the tide settle a bit and award Windsor the next one.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So Phanatic I take it you think Portland will have the screws put to them and have a very uphill battle to make the Memorial Cup after getting sanctions this year. I can't imagine the CHL would like to have a team found guilty of cheating appearing in the Memorial Cup just imagine all the articles and media attention they would get. :laugh::laugh:

Just admit it you're a biased fan that hates Windsor and will frame the narrative any way that it looks poorly on Windsor and we can move on.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
So Phanatic I take it you think Portland will have the screws put to them and have a very uphill battle to make the Memorial Cup after getting sanctions this year. I can't imagine the CHL would like to have a team found guilty of cheating appearing in the Memorial Cup just imagine all the articles and media attention they would get. :laugh::laugh:

Just admit it you're a biased fan that hates Windsor and will frame the narrative any way that it looks poorly on Windsor and we can move on.

Making it to the Memorial Cup and hosting a Memorial Cup are two very, very different things. Maybe you should read through the thread first, and sit down and think about what you've read, before you move closer to your keyboard.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Making it to the Memorial Cup and hosting a Memorial Cup are two very, very different things. Maybe you should read through the thread first, and sit down and think about what you've read, before you move closer to your keyboard.

No I very well know what this thread is about. What happens if you give Barrie the bid to the Memorial Cup and Windsor ends up being in the Memorial Cup anyways? Won't the publicity of the cheating Windsor Spitfires still be a headline in the tournament? The only way you can avoid something like that is if you just ban Windsor from being in the Memorial Cup from 2012-2017.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
SN..
If Windsor is awarded the 2014 Memorial Cup hosting rights...nobody can look at me straight faced and say the media wouldn't put a negative spin on it. That's not how journalism works.

There would be questions, but I don't think it'd be a negative spin. Plus, the media could put a positive spin..."how a team overcomes adversity to win it all."

I thought PP posted this to Rayzor at first :laugh:

Windsor is going to get negative press, or at least questioning, regardless of what happens. If they make it to the Cup in any year, you're going to hear "did they cheat to get here?" It's simply the press asking the obvious questions (haha, this I know). However, I can see other spins being put on it..."Windsor returns after being snubbed in 2011", "Rychel and Rychel on the big stage", etc.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Making it to the Memorial Cup and hosting a Memorial Cup are two very, very different things

Very true! Not sure I follow Razors logic here. 1 scenario a team earns it way by winning the league POs, the other its a gauranteed spot.

No matter who wins the bid, this forum will be an interesitng read for sure. I cant imagine the blow back if the committee granted the tourney to London:amazed: Selfishly Id love it to be here but jsut cant get past the recent hosting issue.

Windsor is going to have to have a near perfect bid to host, but I think they should be given consideration if that bid is in the top couple based on criteria. Yes it would be a media/perception issue but theyve already been punished. Tough call.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Snubbed? :laugh:
Melnyk and Missy submitted a better bid and guaranteed more money. End of story. Please stop with this "Windsor got robbed" sob story.
We know, historic three-peat and so on. All Windsor had to do was beat Owen Sound and they had their chance. Too bad Rychel surrendered before the season dealing Cantin and Shugg.
There is no adversity, the Spits brought this on themselves. Hey, if they can make it to the Cup next year, good on them. Whole different story than giving them the host.
For the record, I don't want London to get the host. Kingston or the Soo would get my vote, assuming they can guarantee the money.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2012/08/10/wdr-windsor-spitfires-fine.html

Memorial Cup bid not affected

The Spitfires have made it publicly known they want to host the 2014 Memorial Cup, the Canadian Hockey League's championship tournament.

Branch said the rulings will not hinder the Spitfires from bidding to host the tournament.

"I cannot see how it impacts that, quite frankly," Branch said. "There are various sanctions that can take place ... but one of them is not taking away the opportunity to host special events.

However, "one of the requisites" of being host is that the club is a championship contender.

That could be made more difficult without a first-round draft picks in 2013, 2014 and 2017.

Not sure if you can get any clearer than this straight from the horse's mouth. Losing our 1st rounder will only affect us with regards to being a trading asset. The biggest obstacle will be how good the team will be next year and apparently the sanctions should have no bearing on the bid process.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2012/08/10/wdr-windsor-spitfires-fine.html

Not sure if you can get any clearer than this straight from the horse's mouth. Losing our 1st rounder will only affect us with regards to being a trading asset. The biggest obstacle will be how good the team will be next year and apparently the sanctions should have no bearing on the bid process.

Spits got the !st rder back for 2014 from the league,when the fine was reduced

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't see the team losing their pick this coming draft as a big influence on the whole situation. One player, a 16-year old at that, won't make the difference between a first-place team and a fifth-place team. How we perform in the standings has little to do with that pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad