2014 Memorial Cup Location

Kingston...after that London. The OHL can't slap the heaviest sanctions on Windsor and then turn around and powder their butts by handing them the most lucrative CHL event 6 months later. Can't happen..if it does the league is a bigger joke then ever. Windsor was the odds on favourite before last summer's events...not now.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The cities I'm hearing the most are London, Windsor, Sarnia and Barrie.

City council has apparently been mulling over and expansion to the arena to 5,000. If that occurs that could give them the edge.

London has had it too recently and not enough time will pass since Windsor's sanctions.

Would love to see Oshawa host it personally but I don,t see any bids coming this time around.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
The cities I'm hearing the most are London, Windsor, Sarnia and Barrie.

City council has apparently been mulling over and expansion to the arena to 5,000. If that occurs that could give them the edge.

London has had it too recently and not enough time will pass since Windsor's sanctions.

Would love to see Oshawa host it personally but I don,t see any bids coming this time around.

Hearing the most, where?

Still not sure Sarnia will have the team. Ditto for Oshawa and Barrie.

doogie24

Jan 27, 2009
Ontario
The ownership in Sarnia is bleeding money, badly. How will they come up with the type of offer needed?

massey

Sep 5, 2012
The ownership in Sarnia is bleeding money, badly. How will they come up with the type of offer needed?

Figures dont lie but liars figures.Management has the options of moving money between the RBC center and the Sting Team.Management is throwing out the poor me.People dont believe them because they have been so secretive on what is going on until they cry wolf.I believe they can find it if needed.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I would love to see Kingston get it -- great barn (it would be nice to see it filled), fantastic city, tons of restaurants/hotels nearby. Having said that, I don't see Mavety & Co. ponying up the money to make it happen.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I would love to see Kingston get it -- great barn (it would be nice to see it filled), fantastic city, tons of restaurants/hotels nearby. Having said that, I don't see Mavety & Co. ponying up the money to make it happen.

Mav is pretty much gone, but the same owner is still there. Suprisingly they did bid the last two times. It only figures that Kingston would bid twice when they havd no chance and not bid when they would be a possible favourite.:laugh:

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Thanks! I'm still very interested to see how Barrie is able to go for the Memorial Cup both years. Especially if they lose Schiefele and decide to still go for it this year.

By adding 94 born players who will be back next year. I don't think they seriously go for the cup this year. Next year was always the target. Remember, Scheifele was not expected to return. They were always setting up for next year...the double first round pick in 11 combined with Ekblad's exceptional status allowed for a unique opportunity to build for 2014.

skating101

Apr 19, 2012
I would like to see it in Kingston with all their young talent, but London has the facility and $

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I would like to see it in Kingston with all their young talent, but London has the facility and $

If the league wants to continue to grow, it can't go back to London for at least another 3 cycles (9 years). Sure, they might be able to pony up the most right now, but there are other viable cities that haven't seen this tournament in years (if ever) and if they want to build the popularity and demand they need to spread it around.

If I were running the league my next four would be Barrie, Kingston, Niagara and Sarnia. Then I'd go back to Windsor (assuming no new rinks in Owen Sound or some of the other yet to host cities). My unbiased order would be as follows:

Kingston (2014)
Niagara (2017)
Sarnia(2020)
Barrie (2023)
Windsor (2026)

My biased order would have Barrie hosting next year, and flipping with Kingston.

This all assumes quasi-competitive teams in the bid years, so may require some tweaking, but I'd be trying to move it around geographically while moving through the teams yet to host.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i know it may be along shot but could SSM be an outside shot, lots of talent leaving but if some potentially stay behind due to contract issues plus the growth of players like Nurse, Tolchinsky, McCann, Murray and a solid facility could that be enough to warrant a bid.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
i know it may be along shot but could SSM be an outside shot, lots of talent leaving but if some potentially stay behind due to contract issues plus the growth of players like Nurse, Tolchinsky, McCann, Murray and a solid facility could that be enough to warrant a bid.

That would be a dream come true, but unfortunately, not very likely. I remember when we hosted in 1993, we had to beat Peterborough in a best of 7 series during the season to get the chance to host. Branch has never favored the Soo, which is unfortunate. I was a young lad at the time, but we did a great job hosting in 1993, with an outdated building, but the atmosphere was incredible. Best memories was watching the Hounds hoist that Memorial Cup at center ice at the Memorial Gardens.

I hope you are right and we host.. There has been no mention here that we have any intention of bidding, but it would be awesome if we could host it again.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
If the league wants to continue to grow, it can't go back to London for at least another 3 cycles (9 years). Sure, they might be able to pony up the most right now, but there are other viable cities that haven't seen this tournament in years (if ever) and if they want to build the popularity and demand they need to spread it around.

If I were running the league my next four would be Barrie, Kingston, Niagara and Sarnia. Then I'd go back to Windsor (assuming no new rinks in Owen Sound or some of the other yet to host cities). My unbiased order would be as follows:

Kingston (2014)
Niagara (2017)
Sarnia(2020)
Barrie (2023)
Windsor (2026)

My biased order would have Barrie hosting next year, and flipping with Kingston.

This all assumes quasi-competitive teams in the bid years, so may require some tweaking, but I'd be trying to move it around geographically while moving through the teams yet to host.

If they base their decision on money making ability and talent, it goes to London hands down. Knights will arguably be icing the most talented team next year, and as far as raking in the cash, that's a guarantee.
However, if they try to be 'fair' (such a subjective word), I would suggest a team like Kingston. Money shouldn't be an issue and the team should be fairly competitive too with assets in the cupboard to add for a run. I also like the fact that it is the East hosting as the last time it was in the West (Knights'05).
Barrie would also be a good choice for the same reasons.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
If they base their decision on money making ability and talent, it goes to London hands down. Knights will arguably be icing the most talented team next year, and as far as raking in the cash, that's a guarantee.
However, if they try to be 'fair' (such a subjective word), I would suggest a team like Kingston. Money shouldn't be an issue and the team should be fairly competitive too with assets in the cupboard to add for a run. I also like the fact that it is the East hosting as the last time it was in the West (Knights'05).
Barrie would also be a good choice for the same reasons.

Not to nit pick but last time the OHL hosted it was in the East, Mississauga '11. The time before that in '08 Kitchener hosted.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Not to nit pick but last time the OHL hosted it was in the East, Mississauga '11. The time before that in '08 Kitchener hosted.

Lol, you're right! I guess it was such a bore that I forgot all about the Mississauga event.
Oh well, in the end there are going to be some happy people and some really upset people too. Several good cities to choose from!

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Kingston (2014)
Niagara (2017)
Sarnia(2020)
Barrie (2023)
Windsor (2026)

Jocko going for the 2017 bid in sarnia.He announced they should have 8 players from last year draft playing and have something like 17 yes 17 draft picks this year.Some are fairly high rounds though.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Jocko going for the 2017 bid in sarnia.He announced they should have 8 players from last year draft playing and have something like 17 yes 17 draft picks this year.Some are fairly high rounds though.

Barrie 14
Sarnia 17
Niagara 20
Kingston 23
Windsor 26

Would also make sense to me. Spreading it around the province and cycling through teams that have never had the event before going back to Windsor.

jughead42*

Screw being fair, give it to Windsor. If we're going to be the recruiting scapegoat for the league and line their pockets with penalty cash, the least they could do is throw us a bone after screwing us the last time the OHL hosted.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Screw being fair, give it to Windsor. If we're going to be the recruiting scapegoat for the league and line their pockets with penalty cash, the least they could do is throw us a bone after screwing us the last time the OHL hosted.

Screwing you? They should have taken the banner down! :nod:

I thought I was being nice by including you guys as the next team to get a repeat (mostly cuz I could stay at my brother's place for free), but I've changed my mind...how about 2041? ;)

jughead42*

Screwing you? They should have taken the banner down! :nod:

I thought I was being nice by including you guys as the next team to get a repeat (mostly cuz I could stay at my brother's place for free), but I've changed my mind...how about 2041? ;)

They should have taken Barrie's banners down for their support of human trafficking in the belly of their team bus. Oh wait, no banners to remove yet, my mistake. You can pretend that your team got swept in the finals because Windsor had a recruiting advantage, but our violations were after the back to back titles. Our banners have as much to do with recruiting violations as your banners have to do with smuggling a kid over the US border illegally in the cargo hold of the bus. (If you had banners of course) Wait, don't you guys have some sort of participation ribbon from the 2000 cup? Do they give those out for just making it to the dance? Maybe a London fan can enlighten us. ;)

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Well other than the rest of your ignorant rant I would love to know how you guys got screwed last time the OHL hosted, Mississauga had a better team than you guys.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Well other than the rest of your ignorant rant I would love to know how you guys got screwed last time the OHL hosted, Mississauga had a better team than you guys.

That's very debatable. Back-to-back Memorial Cup Champs with a historic chance to get a threepeat, a very good team (at worst) if we didn't trade Cantin and Shugg for Ebert once we didn't get the bid (traded to Missy may I add) and a certain off-the-record promise made to the city when the Mayor and Co put the tax payers on the hook to build the $70M arena. Melynuk either bought the cup or was also promised it by Branch for bailing out the league owning a couple hurting teams along the way and then wanted out of the league.

I'll be pretty surprised if Windsor doesn't get the hosting gig for 2014 (if we make the play-offs this year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad