2014 Memorial Cup Location

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Regular season yes, but add in a long PO run with a Cup finals and that NHL price also goes up up up.
The comparable would be 500+ for our reg season vs their reg season. Yes there's a ton of great season packages, multi pak deals and game day packages in some US NHL cities but its a supply n demand. Business model for the Cup in London supports that price point as they pre sold (deposit) 6600 tics. Yes it's going to be tough for the average fan but they did/will be sold. As I suspect they will in future OHL cities. And I expect future OHL Cup cities to charge similar amounts if not a bit more. With the proximity of so many teams and hockey fans in Ont ( unlike the spread out W and Q) they'll sell.
And yes local supporters wil have tough decisions to make.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
And I expect future OHL Cup cities to charge similar amounts if not a bit more. With the proximity of so many teams and hockey fans in Ont ( unlike the spread out W and Q) they'll sell.

Which leads to the chances of SSM and Sudbury hosting being zero.

The way it's going, just rotate the tournament between London and Ottawa, and hope for the best. There's really no point of any other OHL cities wasting their time and money to put in a bid.

Kitchener could possibly support another bid, but I wish they'd just save our money and use it to convince some US player to report. :laugh:

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Which leads to the chances of SSM and Sudbury hosting being zero.

The way it's going, just rotate the tournament between London and Ottawa, and hope for the best. There's really no point of any other OHL cities wasting their time and money to put in a bid.

Kitchener could possibly support another bid, but I wish they'd just save our money and use it to convince some US player to report. :laugh:

LOL!! Good one :handclap:
You're right on most accounts....they need to figure out a way to get the tourney to all otherwise make it a central non biased location....which stinks.
If they could set up some type of profit sharing during regular season as well as playoffs to offset costs for scouting, bids etc, then the 'big guys' could help the little guys. I think a roadie to North Bay or Sudbury or Kingston for the cup would be awesome.
After all the junk dies down after next year, I hope that London doesn't get a bid for a very very very long time and it goes to other deserving clubs. Heck, even make a stipulation in the rules that there must be a 15 year (insert preference here) wait period, regardless of strength of team/bid.
Kitchener did a fine job of hosting....too bad that goalie blew out his knee ;)

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Regular season yes, but add in a long PO run with a Cup finals and that NHL price also goes up up up.
The comparable would be 500+ for our reg season vs their reg season. Yes there's a ton of great season packages, multi pak deals and game day packages in some US NHL cities but its a supply n demand. Business model for the Cup in London supports that price point as they pre sold (deposit) 6600 tics. Yes it's going to be tough for the average fan but they did/will be sold. As I suspect they will in future OHL cities. And I expect future OHL Cup cities to charge similar amounts if not a bit more. With the proximity of so many teams and hockey fans in Ont ( unlike the spread out W and Q) they'll sell.

Prices do go up and up but there are still bargains via stub hub even tonight in Detroit you can see game 4 of the series for $35. The toughest part is still buying the Memorial Cup package and included in it is the WHL-QMJHL unless you're an absolute diehard the interest might not be there just as there might not be in a tiebreaker game if your team isn't involved. I would see a 2nd round NHL playoff game for $35 over a Memorial Cup round robin or tiebreak game, maybe even a semi game. I would like to think $600-680 is the max but I think it might get higher in a few more years.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Heck, even make a stipulation in the rules that there must be a 15 year (insert preference here) wait period, regardless of strength of team/bid.

I think most could get behind this, and I suggested it earlier on. The system/ bid process should be looked at because every team desrves a shot at bidding in an environment that they "feel" they have a chance to win. Doesnt mean they will and that their bids will be up to par but it gives all a better shot I guess. The more that get into the bid process the better.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta

I could support this, BUT, the automatic home entry has to go. More and more I think about it, that's the issue. It guarantees some fans the opportunity to see meaningful games that otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Just send the conference finalists. I realize you might lose some home support, but if you rotated between the East (Ottawa/Kingston) and the West (London/Kitchener) the worst you would have would be Ottawa and SSM playing in London. More often than not, you'd have at least one team within day trip distance.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I could support this, BUT, the automatic home entry has to go. More and more I think about it, that's the issue. It guarantees some fans the opportunity to see meaningful games that otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Just send the conference finalists. I realize you might lose some home support, but if you rotated between the East (Ottawa/Kingston) and the West (London/Kitchener) the worst you would have would be Ottawa and SSM playing in London. More often than not, you'd have at least one team within day trip distance.

That's a great idea but I don't think will ever happen :(

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

Im convinced that if thy did that, the same issues would still be there. The 'they don't belong' rhetoric. We saw it with Mississauga in 2011, when fans where upset that they advanced past Owen Sound. The 'hometown excuse' allows some team's fans to justify loosing. They will still look for that if a finalist is there in my opinion.

Other issue will be rallying volunteers. How does the host convince people to take part when the home town team isn't playing? Will they still come? That's a big issue.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Im convinced that if thy did that, the same issues would still be there. The 'they don't belong' rhetoric. We saw it with Mississauga in 2011, when fans where upset that they advanced past Owen Sound. The 'hometown excuse' allows some team's fans to justify loosing. They will still look for that if a finalist is there in my opinion.

Less so, I think. If there's still issues then go to three teams. Play each team twice so you still have a total of 6 round robin games. First goes through to the final, the other two play in a semi then on to the final.

Other issue will be rallying volunteers. How does the host convince people to take part when the home town team isn't playing? Will they still come? That's a big issue.

I don't think it would be - at least in Ontario. The volunteer crew I was working with in Mississauga consisted of 2 from Barrie, 4 from Oshawa, one from Brampton and one from Toronto. There were a lot of what I presume "local" kids, but they were there for their school hours. Many didn't even notice when half the Majors walked into the volunteer room to get water, so I don't think they were big time Majors fans.

dogfan

Jun 16, 2009

I know some may look at this as a homer pick but I'd put Niagara in that mix as well. With a brand new facility, good fan support and in the last five years they have been one of the stronger franchises.
Add to that the region itself. Sorry but there is more to do away from the rink in Niagara (yes there is time away from the rink at the Memorial Cup) then there is in Kingston, London and Kitchener combined. I have been to a couple Cups and that down time between games can be horrible. Having at a natural tourist area would give road fans another reason to come.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I know some may look at this as a homer pick but I'd put Niagara in that mix as well. With a brand new facility, good fan support and in the last five years they have been one of the stronger franchises.

Not nearly big enough to be considered in this context. I think it's basically the same size as Barrie (maybe 300-400 more seats).

I think your comment with respect to what to do in the area is pretty, to use your word, "homer". There is stuff to do in all of the cities you mentioned...I suppose it depends what you're interested in. I've spent a lot of time on the Niagara Peninsula...I'm not much of a winery tour guy, don't like the cheap attractions at the falls and there's only so many pictures you can take of the falls themselves. The Shaw festival maybe... I'm a fan of African Lion Safari and Bingeman's though...but like I say that's a personal choice.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Pretty much every OHL city has things to do during the day, either locally or within a relatively short distance. I don't think the OHL cares about that (serious question - what is there to do in London during the day?)

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Pretty much every OHL city has things to do during the day, either locally or within a relatively short distance. I don't think the OHL cares about that (serious question - what is there to do in London during the day?)

Weekends during the day the grand theatre has shows to attend, or during the week at night. (Westside Story is currently running) The Western fair raceway has slots and gambling. There is the London Art museum which actually is a great place for dinner. Labbatt Park is home to minor league baseball.
During the summer, Harris park hosts Rock the Park, Blues fest (which I think this year is discontinued after 10 years), the sunshine festival?(i think its a big hippyfest).
Centennial Hall hosts many events like stand up comedy, body building events etc.
Masonville Mall would be the best shopping centre in town followed by White Oaks.
Lots of nice golf courses to play as well. You can go 'site seeing' around Western University lol....lots of good looking faces. You could join in on a raging Fanshawe party where couches get torched in the street.
Thats all I can think of right now!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If you like small-town Ontario, just south of London are St Thomas, Sparta (REALLY small town), and Port Stanley. They're not brimming with tons to do, but they're different; all have their own little charm. Plus, the area south of London has some really neat roads that, if you've never driven on, can challenge you a bit. My recommendation, if it's a nice, warmer day, is to head into Port Stanley. It's about a half hour south, but there's a beach, some local shops, and I could see killing a few hours there easily.

Tons to do outside the city...as OHLTG pointed out. Within 1/2 hour of London there are plenty of sites to see.

About 1/2 north you have very rich history in Lucan Ontario...St Thomas is very historic. Colonel Talbot's estate is within 45 minutes. The shore of Lake Erie is awesome in the spring. Lots to do in this area.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Tons to do outside the city...as OHLTG pointed out. Within 1/2 hour of London there are plenty of sites to see.

About 1/2 north you have very rich history in Lucan Ontario...St Thomas is very historic. Colonel Talbot's estate is within 45 minutes. The shore of Lake Erie is awesome in the spring. Lots to do in this area.

Ya and you can go for a train ride in port stanley or the candle shop in sparta...but the question was what do to IN London. You guys are cheating....

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
If you like small-town Ontario, just south of London are St Thomas, Sparta (REALLY small town), and Port Stanley. They're not brimming with tons to do, but they're different; all have their own little charm. Plus, the area south of London has some really neat roads that, if you've never driven on, can challenge you a bit. My recommendation, if it's a nice, warmer day, is to head into Port Stanley. It's about a half hour south, but there's a beach, some local shops, and I could see killing a few hours there easily.

I love that whole area - Port Stanley has a lot of cute little stores to poke around in and Sparta has one of my favourite artists' gallery. I hadn't thought of that; just things to do in London. I had no idea there was a museum in London.

The only good thing in Port Stanley is GT's.

To be honest GT's is the low-light of Port Stanley. The only people that are attracted to it are people from out of town. Food sucks...atmosphere is OK during the day...the volley ball courts are kinda cool if you like volleyball. Unless you're 19 or in a midlife crisis..it's pretty much a hole. Most people from the area avoid it like the plague. Not a place I'd recommend to someone I like or respect. ;)

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Port Stanley is one of those places you could spend a day at; between the beach, the shops, and restaurants. There were a few restaurants near the beach that I had hoped to try, but didn't get the opportunity. The whole town and area is worth the drive. You don't find many hidden-away beach towns like this anymore.

Knights77, sure, there's tons to do IN London, but half the fun is finding stuff to do in the area.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00